I was first introduced to the concept of a “Homemaking Binder” when I first started reading blogs almost seven years ago. I read about all these incredible and massively-detailed binders other women had put together and thought, this is it! This is going to solve my homemaking issues and help me have a beautifully organized home and life.
So I tried to make up an elaborate system but quickly discovered there was one major problem: The system wouldn’t work unless I worked the system! And because I had bitten off more than I could chew and was trying to make someone else’s system work for me, it left me more frustrated than ever. To be honest, I even felt like a failure when I just couldn’t make a Homemaking Binder work for me and it seemed it worked flawlessly for everyone else.
Over time, I’ve learned that it’s okay to do what works for me — even if it’s much different than what works for other people. So instead of trying to conform myself to another person’s system, I’ve set out to create my own.
This video tutorial walks you through what I’ve been using for the past four months. It’s working really well for us right now, though I can’t promise that it will be what I use for the rest of my life. I’m learning that tweaking and overhauling things as seasons and needs change is what works best.
But I share this in hopes it might inspire some of you. Please don’t copy mine — because it likely won’t work for you! — but I’m hopeful maybe those of you who are struggling with home management might be able to glean a few ideas from it.
Do you use a homemaking binder or another system to keep your home and life in order? I’ve love to hear what works for you!
Next Monday, I’ll share the final installment of the Time Management series and then I’ll be posting at least 10 incredible guest posts on time management from readers here who are in different seasons and situations of life than me.
Other posts in the Time Management 101 series
- Time Management 101: Stop Trying to "Do It All"
- Time Management 101: Determine What Your Priorities Are
- Time Management 101: Create a Time Budget
- Time Management 101: Create a Time Budget (Part 2)
- Time Management 101: Make a Personalized Plan
- Q&A Tuesday: How can I be organized when I have a nursing baby and toddler?
- Time Management 101: Make a Personalized Plan (Part 2)
- How to Get More Done in Less Time as a Blogger (Part 1)
- How to Get More Done in Less Time as a Blogger (Part 2)
- How to Get More Done in Less Time as a Blogger (Part 3)
- Time Management 101: Home Management (Part 1)
- Vlog: My Very Simple Homemaking Binder
- Time Management 101: Home Management (Part 2)
- Taming the Teenage Schedule
- Free Customizable Daily Docket now available for download!
- Managing Your Time When It's "Just You"
- 5 Time Management Tips for Busy Families
- Time Management Tips for Parents with Special Needs Kids
- 7 Time Management Tips For the Working Woman
- How to Manage Your Time (and Sanity!) as a Military Mom
- Time Management Tips for the Single Mom
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!