Psst! Have you tried our Easy Individual Mini Lasagnas? They’re a perfect go-to lunch or dinner! They work amazingly well for single people, busy schedules, and hungry boys. And they’re super easy to make ahead of time!
We love lasagna… but I rarely buy lasagna noodles because there aren’t as many sales or coupons available for lasagna noodles as there are for spiral and rotini noodles.
So, a number of years ago, I re-did our regular lasagna recipe substituting spiral/rotini noodles for lasagna noodles and dubbed it “Lasagna Casserole”. It has since become a staple recipe at our home and it’s one of the first things I consider making when I find marked-down cottage cheese!
Why we love this Easy Lasagna Casserole
Not only is this casserole so delicious, but it’s also very frugal (and easy) to make.
Back when we were first married, we just left the meat out of this recipe, since it wasn’t in our budget. We like it better with meat these days, but it’s still hearty as a meatless casserole.
The best part about this easy recipe is that I never make this recipe exactly the same. It really depends on what I have on hand — so feel free to mix up the ingredients based on what you have in your freezer or pantry, or even what’s on sale at your grocery stores.
Lasagna Casserole Ingredients
- 1 pound ground beef or sausage (optional)
- 1 onion chopped (optional)
- 8 oz. uncooked noodles (we like spiral or rotini noodles best)
- 12 oz. spaghetti sauce
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cottage cheese or ricotta cheese (we prefer cottage cheese and it’s typically much cheaper — especially if you can find it marked down!)
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley (chopped fresh or dried)
Lazy Lasagna substitutions and additions
If you’re on a tight budget, simply omit the meat, or substitute cooked lentils or sauteed mushrooms.
You can use whatever noodles you have on hand.
Feel free to use more sauce if that’s your preference — even using extra sauce in place of the tomatoes.
You can also mix up the cheese, trying new varieties or mixing a few types.
How to make Lasagna Casserole
1. Brown ground beef and onion until cooked.
2. While the meat is cooking, boil the noodles according to the package directions.
3. Mix spaghetti sauce with diced tomatoes and browned ground beef.
4. Set 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese aside to sprinkle on the top.
5. Combine the rest of the mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, beaten eggs, parsley, and salt and pepper.
6. In a 7″ x 11″ pan, layer a third of the meat sauce, then the noodles, then the cheese mixture.
7. Repeat two more times.
8. Sprinkle with cheese.
9. Bake at 350º for 30 to 45 minutes (until bubbly).
10. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
How to serve this Lazy Lasagna Recipe
This casserole tastes great with a simple side salad, fruit, and garlic toast. It also pairs well with most vegetables and any type of bread/rolls you have in the house.
How to store Easy Lasagna Casserole
Let the casserole come to room temperature, cover, and refrigerate any leftovers.
You can also put single-servings into smaller storage containers and freeze for easy lunches.
Lazy Lasagna FAQs
You can cover it with aluminum foil for the last 15 minutes if the cheese is getting too brown.
You might have too much sauce, or it might just need to sit for a bit after baking. Try tenting your pan with foil and letting the casserole sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes after it’s done baking.
Lazy Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef or ground sausage
- 1 onion diced
- 8 oz pasta uncooked
- 12 oz pasta sauce 1/2 a jar
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 3 cups mozerella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- ½ tsp parsley
- salt and pepper
- Brown ground beef and onion until cooked through. Drain.
- While the meat is cooking, boil the noodles according to the package directions.
- Mix spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes with browned ground beef.
- Set 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese aside to sprinkle on the top.
- Combine the rest of the mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, beaten eggs, parsley, and salt and pepper.
- In a 7" x 11" pan, layer a third of the meat sauce, then the noodles, then the cheese mixture.
- Repeat the layers two more times.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350º for 30 to 45 minutes (until bubbly).
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy
We love comments from readers, so chime in with your thoughts below! We do our best to keep this blog upbeat and encouraging, so please keep your comments cordial and kind. Read more information on our comment policy.