photo by atconc
Guest Post by Mandi from LifeYourWay.net.
If you’ve spent any time looking into working at home, chances are you’ve come across scams. The truth is that legitimate opportunities are highly sought after, and the scams take advantage of the number of women who desperately want to be work-at-home moms (not that there aren’t other demographics of people who want to work at home, but that is by far the largest).
Here are a few things you should know as you search:
1. Run far away from anyone who charges you a fee for a list of companies who hire home-based contractors or who charges you to get started working for them. I can think of a few very exceptions:
::The third exception is for home-based businesses such as Pampered Chef or Southern Living. You do need to purchase a kit to get started with them, the obvious difference being that you receive products that are worth significantly more than the price you pay.
2. Envelope stuffing jobs are not legitimate. You will NOT make any money doing this. The envelopes you are stuffing are to convince other people to sign up to do the same thing. Stay away!
3. Legitimate data entry jobs are very hard to come by. I actually have one of these that I applied and tested for over two years ago and was just able to start working. It’s worth saying again–do NOT pay for a data entry job.
Don’t be discouraged! There are legitimate and lucrative work-at-home opportunities out there. How do you find them? There have been a lot of tips and ideas shared on this blog such as selling things on Etsy and blogging for profit.
Another valuable resource for looking into opportunities to earn an income at home is to join the forums at WAHM.com or Work Place Like Home. Not only will you find job leads, but you can also ask the other members about the opportunities you come across so that you’re not trying to sort through them all on your own.
As has been said here before, there are plenty of opportunities for you out there. However, it does take time, hard work and patience, and you need to use discernment as you consider your options!
Mandi Ehman is the chief deal finder behind Jungle Deals & Steals, where she and her mom find and share the best Amazon deals every day! She’s also the founder and publisher of Life Your Way, a magazine-style blog inspiring readers to live intentional lives.
Other posts in the Becoming a Work-at-home Mom series
- Guest Post: Finding a Work-at-Home Job
- Guest Post: Avoiding Work-At-Home Scams
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: In the Beginning... (Part 1)
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: Starting with Small Things (Part 2)
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: Learning Through Failure (Part 3)
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: More experimentation and failure
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: A blessing in disguise
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: My first feeble attempts at this thing called "blogging"
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: Working 60 to 70 hours per week is not something I'd recommend
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: Learning from those who are older and wiser
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: A blog series, an ebook and an ecourse
- Becoming a Work-At-Home Mom: MoneySavingMom.com is born
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!