These are a perfect lunchbox treat! They are so fast and simple to whip up, and they freeze perfectly. That’s assuming, of course, that they actually last long enough to make it to your freezer. Our family of five can go through an entire pan of these in… um, such a short amount of time that I’m not quite ready to admit it in public.
When I do manage to save a few of these away for my husband’s lunches, I cut them into bars and wrap them individually. I store them in a ziploc bag in the freezer, and pop them in lunches straight from the freezer (they thaw quickly).
Gram for gram, these are significantly cheaper (and better for you!) than most packaged granola bars. And seriously, you could probably make these in less time than it would take you to drive to the store and buy a box of granola bars!
Chewy No-Bake Granola Bars
Makes 24 bars (9″x13″ pan)
- 2 ½ cups Rice Krispies (if you want to make these healthier, you can use plain puffed rice cereal)
- 1 ¾ cups quick oats (regular rolled oats work too)
- ¼ cup wheat germ (or ground flax seed, wheat bran, or additional oats)
- ½ cup additional mix-in ingredients, optional (i.e. shredded coconut, chopped nuts, raisins or other dried fruit, sesame or sunflower seeds, etc.)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar (or sucanat)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Combine first 4 dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a saucepan, mix the honey, brown sugar and salt. Over medium-low heat, stir until the mixture comes to a complete boil for 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before mixing in the chocolate chips.
- Press into a greased 9×13 pan and let cool before cutting into bars.
These freeze well!!