I’m currently challenging myself to stick with a $70 grocery budget for our family of five. This includes almost all of our breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners + most household products (toiletries, laundry soap, etc.).
Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and we will be compensated if you click through and sign up. Read our disclosure policy here.
People ask me all the time if I think it’s possible to eat healthfully on a budget. And my answer is always, absolutely!
You might spend a little more if you decide to prioritize certain things, but you can find great deals on clean and healthy (and even organic!) foods.
We choose to have a pretty balanced diet around here. I buy some treats and junk food and then we also eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains. That’s what works for our family.
But something else might work for your family — and you can still find plenty of creative ways to keep your grocery budget low. It’s all about deciding that you are going to do the best you can instead of throwing up your hands and convincing yourself that you can’t.
This morning, I ran into Kroger to get some of the deals that are part of their Buy 4, Get $5 Off sale. I ended up not even having any time to get those because I found so many markdowns and great deals.
Markdowns are one of my favorite ways to save money on healthful foods. And so many stores offer them (people keep telling me that Target has great markdowns on meat! Have you found that to be true? I need to go scout out Target soon!).
Thursday Kroger Shopping Trip
Here’s what I got:
- 2 packages of Chicken Leg Quarters — marked down to $2.76 and $2.82
- 1 tub of yogurt — marked down to $0.29
- 4 boxes of Simple Truth Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti — $1.29 per box, used $0.50/1 Kroger Digital coupon = $0.79 per box after the coupon
- 1 package of Round Steak — marked down to $3.75
- 1 big bag of apples — marked down to $0.99
- 1 huge tub of Organic Mixed Greens — marked down to $2.99
- 1 package of Hillshire Brats — marked down to $1.49
- 2 packages of Ground Beef — marked down to $3.79 per pound
- Total with tax: $27.44
More posts to check out:
- 10 Ways to Afford Organic Foods on a Tight Budget
- How to Eat Well on a $40 Grocery Budget
- Going Vegan on a Budget