Tutorial by Carrie.
Do you have people that you want to give a little something to, or you’re looking for a gift to supplement a gift basket for Christmas? These homemade body scrubs will serve perfectly as that “little something”. I want to give to my aunts, cousins, the babysitter, and my ladies Bible Study.
Best of all, making homemade body scrub involves ingredients you already have on hand or that you can easily find in the store. In fact, just last week, I saw Peppermint Extract for around $2 a bottle at Aldi. You can find orange, lemon, and peppermint extracts in your baking aisle at the grocery. And you probably already have vanilla, sugar, salt, and oil on hand.
Ready to get scrubbing? Here are four of my favorite recipes:
Lavender Vanilla Salt Scrub
- 1/4 c mineral oil (I prefer to use Sweet Almond Oil, mainly because its odor blends well with everything, and it’s in body scrubs you can find at Bath & Body Works or the Body Shop. However, you can also use Mineral Oil because it’s less expensive than Sweet Almond Oil.)
- 1/2 cup sea salt (I add about 1/8 cup more because I like my scrub a little more grainy.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 drops Lavender essential oil (I bought this at The Body Shop.)
1. Mix the sea salt and mineral oil together until all the salt is incorporated.
2. Add the vanilla extract and essential oils. Stir them into the salt/oil mixture until they are thoroughly incorporated.
3. Add a few drops of blue food coloring to pretty it up. So far, I haven’t had any trouble with the food coloring staining my skin or my shower.
4. Store in an airtight container. Use 2-3 times a week in the shower.
Brown Sugar and Honey Body Scrub
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup mineral oil (see note in the recipe above)
Mix all the ingredients together very thoroughly. This scrub will be much thicker than the salt scrub above. I can tell you, my skin is literally glowing and beautiful after using this scrub. Use it 2-3 times a week, and make sure you rinse off really well. Note: This will make your shower floor a bit sticky so make sure you rinse it well.
Peppermint Foot Scrub
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mineral oil
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 10-12 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
- A drop of green food coloring
1. Mix the sugar and mineral oil together.
2. Add the peppermint extract, essential oil (optional), and the food coloring. Mix until the food coloring is completely incorporated.
Orange Vanilla Sugar Scrub
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/3 cup sweet almond oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Mix the sugar and almond oil together.
2. Add the orange and vanilla extracts and stir until they are incorporated.
Carrie is married to her best friend, and high school sweetheart. Together they have three children. Her life is fabulous because everything she has is a gift from God.