MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Gretchen’s $50 Grocery Shopping Trip and Weekly Menu Plan

Sprouts Farmers Market

I took the last couple months off from doing any grocery shopping due to having a baby. 🙂 But I missed it and I think my husband was very glad that I resumed this responsibility this week. I was especially excited to get back into grocery shopping because a Sprouts Farmers Market store just opened up in our town! When I went to check it out today, I couldn’t even find a parking spot so I think a lot of people are just as excited as me. 🙂 I was thrilled with their produce prices and am hoping it’s like this every week. (Those of you who shop at Sprouts regularly can let me know!)

5 lb bag Russet Potatoes – $0.48

0.55 lbs Broccoli Crowns – $0.54

1 Cantaloupe – $1

2 Cucumbers – 2/$0.67

1 Pineapple – $1, used $0.25/1 Checkout 51 rebate – $0.75 after rebate

2 pints Grape Tomatoes – $1 each

2 Green Peppers – 2/$0.67

2.77 lbs Navel Oranges – $2.71

1 Organic Cauliflower – $1.55

1 PopCorner Chips – $2.69, used Free coupon from Sprouts app – Free after coupon

1 pkg Butter – $2.50

Total after coupon and rebate: $12.87

Aldi

1 Frosted Flakes – $1.29

1 Crunchy Cranberry Almond Cereal – $2.29

2 cans Cream of Mushroom/Chicken Soup – $0.69 each, used $0.10 Mobisave rebate – $0.64 each after rebate

2 cans Tuna – $0.65 each

1 pkg Chocolate Chips – $1.79

1 pkg Frozen Strawberries – $2.09

1 gallon Milk – $2.16

Total after rebate: $37.27

Total for both stores: $50.14

Menu Plan for This Week

We have quite a bit of meat (chicken and venison) in our freezer so I will be using that in the meals this week.

Breakfasts

Cereal and Smoothies x 3

Toast & Eggs x 2

Oatmeal & Smothies

Cinnamon Rolls (A friend is bringing these over for breakfast one morning!)

Lunches

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches, Carrot Sticks

Macaroni & Cheese, Carrots Sticks, Sliced Peppers

Baked Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli

Cheese/Crackers/Fruit/Veggies

Turkey Sandwiches, Sliced Veggies

Tuna Salad Sandwiches, Carrot Sticks

Leftovers

Dinners

Tacos, Sliced Oranges

Spaghetti, Biscuits, Green Beans

Grilled Chicken/Tilapia, 30 Minute Rolls, Mashed Potatoes, Spinach Salad

Brown Bag Burritos (from the freezer), Chips & Salsa (leftover from last week), Fruit Salad

Sour Cream Chicken, Spinach Salad, Banana Muffins (from the freezer)

Pancakes, Eggs, Bacon

Simple Beef Stroganoff (using ground venison), Pineapple, Steamed Cauliflower

19 Comments

• Amy says:

I am a frequent Sprout’s shopper and their sale prices are always excellent! When ours opened this summer (just outside of Nashville) the deals the first several weeks were amazing. I was worried it was just because it was a new store, but I have continued to be happy with their weekly ads. Our Sprout’s does double ad Wednesdays, and I can often get some really great deals then. Enjoy!

• andrea says:

we love Sprouts too! They almost always have a few organic produce items that are on sale. we would love to see what deals you find each week.

• Emily says:

Hey Gretchen. I’ve been following your posts for a while. Congrats on the baby! I’m wondering how many people are in your family (I thought 5?) and how you feed them with 1 loaf of bread a week? You have 5 meals listed on your menu this week that use bread. I’m just wondering how that works out. Thanks!

• Myeshia says:

Gretchen now has two. I think you may be thinking of Bridgette!

• Gretchen says:

Thank you!

There are 4 people in our family, but the baby doesn’t eat food yet. 🙂 My husband doesn’t eat the lunches I make (he either skips lunch or just eats leftovers, etc – he is SUPER relaxed when it comes to meals and I’m spoiled!) so that just leaves 2 of us for lunches. A loaf of bread can usually last an entire week for 2 of us. 🙂

• Laura says:

Congratulations on the new baby, Gretchen! I am so happy for you and your growing family.

• BRE says:

Hey, we just got a Sprouts in my town this week as well and I bought just about everything you bought except for I wish I would have known that there was a Sprouts app and that butter was only $2.50 a pound but I got my butter at Aldi for $2.68.
    I’m in Wichita & the Sprouts is across town but just a 12 min drive from work so I think at times it will be worth it if the sales are always this amazing.
    I’m still blown away that I got 3 eggplants for $1. I made homemade baba ghanoush with homemade pita last night.
    I’m dying to see the new ad Wednesday morning & see about going back for more cheap produce. I’m trying to convert to vegan & love trying out Indian dishes. Just have to find a way to stop using butter… gosh I love butter.

• Gretchen says:

I just happened to check the butter prices when I was there and I’m glad I did! I’m so excited to see their new ad this week too!

• lyss says:

I love Sprouts! Their weekly ads often have great deals…and not just produce. Look for sales on meats, cheese, butter. Sometimes there’s sales on bulk items like oats, raisins, quinoa, etc. If you don’t get the ad in the mail, look at their website. : )

• Lea says:

Welcome back, Gretchen, and congratulations on the arrival of your new baby!

I always love reading your shopping trips and meal plans – the only store we have in common is Aldi and I rarely shop there, so I really enjoy seeing the deals you can find. Plus, I love getting ideas for meals!

Lea

• Michelle says:

I really miss Sprouts!!! I missed publix when we moved to Texas, but now that we are back in Fl, I miss Sprouts, Kroger and market street!!! The food prices were amazing at those three! I could easily do our shopping including tons of fresh veggies, dairy, chicken breast, steaks and deli for under $100 a week! Now I spend over $200 for similar shopping!

• Andrea says:

I LOVE Sprouts. We drive about 10 minutes to get to the Sprouts in our town, but it is totally worth it. The sale prices on produce are always great and normally beat the sale prices of our local supermarket (we have United Supermarkets here). Oh and it’s normally worth it to look through all of the aisles, because they tend to have unadvertised sales and some of them are really good! Also, my store has the best sales on chicken that typically fall every 2 weeks!

Congrats on your baby!

• Judy W says:

I love Sprout’s! It the only place I buy my meat, poultry and fish. It’s always fresh and not frozen. I also love their end cuts of cheese. I bought Opal apple this week for only 88 cents per pound, they were selling for $2.48 at another store. Their bulk granola is fabulous also. I always watch for their sales.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy