MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

I finished 10 books last week (yes, for real!) + my top 3 favorites

8 Books I Read Last Week

As you may have noticed, I’ve not read as much as I usually do this year. And many of you have wondered where my book posts have been and have asked me to please write more about what I’ve been ready.

The truth is, I just haven’t been reading as much. I’m still reading a little every day — but that means I’ve only been finishing a few books per month, if that.

Some of my lack of reading as much has been because life has been full of a lot of other good things and building real-life relationships, some because I’ve been really allowing myself to savor just a few books instead of reading multiple books at the same time (like I usually do), and some is because I’ve been challenging myself to explore and try new things this year.

8 Books I Read Last Week

But on vacation this past week, I finished 10 books in 4 days (it’s amazing how much reading I had time for when I was unplugged!) and I remembered how much I love reading and how much I’ve missed it. As a result, I decided to cut back on a few more of my online work hours to make more time for reading.

I’ve already cut back on work time a lot this year, but being completely offline and unplugged for 4 days inspired me to see if I can cut back even more — especially if it means I can fit in more reading time by doing so!

Of the books I read last week, here were my top 3 favorites:

Scary Close — I loved getting to spend time with Don and Betsy on the Israel and Italy trip and Don referenced this book a few times so I knew I had to read it. I ended up really loving it and being inspired by it. If you struggle with authenticity in relationships and trusting people, I think you’ll find it inspiring.

The Happiness Dare — As a result of reading this book, I’ve been taking The Happiness Dare — and wow! It’s been SO good to go through my days looking for the happy.

Savoring Slow — This book resonated with me so much in my Year of Rest. I’m going to be scoping through it over the next week and would love for you to join me!

The 8 Books I Read Last Week + What I'm Reading This Week

Here’s my book stack I chose for this week! I’m really excited about these titles as they’ve come highly recommended to me by different people. {We’ll see how many I get through this week! I am going to limit myself to just reading two at a time and not starting a new book until I’ve finished another book.}

My Current Book Stack:

What are YOU reading right now? Any great book recommendations for me?

This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.

46 Comments

• Lisa says:

I LOVED Where’d You Go, Bernadette! Much more than I thought I would. Almost as much as What Alice Forgot.

• Sher says:

you are a voracious reader!
    last week I read “escape” and “the reader”
    this week I am reading “the crimson portrait”
    I usually read 1-2 a week 🙂
    I get my books at the thrift store for $1-3 per book!! woohoo!!

• Vera says:

Crystal, thanks for the recommendations. Can’t wait to read what you think of If by Mark Batterson. Have you seen Mother and Son: The Respect Effect by Emerson Eggerichs yet? This is my Mother’s Day gift.

• Carrie Smith says:

I’m so interested in reading Savoring Slow! I could totally use something like that in my life right now. Born Standing Up is great– I you like Steve Martin you will love it. I’m currently reading The Norman Conquest, but it’s heavier than my normal reads– trying to stimulate my brain a bit and get back to my history major roots!

• Susan says:

I read Our Souls At Night a couple of months ago and was just captivated by it. Only 179 pages so quick read, but just an eloquent, bittersweet story about finding love in your declining years (the main characters are in their 70s). Two quick notes. One, the author, Kent Haruf, died shortly after writing this so I feel like it might have been somewhat of an homage to his wife. And second, the author for some reason doesn’t use quotation marks, and this book is basically a conversation between two elderly people. Knowing beforehand about the lack of quotation marks, it didn’t bother me, but I know it bothered a lot of people.

• Jessica S. says:

I am currently reading Happiness by Randy Alcorn. It is a (long) great book that seems to fit in with where you are at.

• Lisa J. says:

As a couple, my husband and I are reading Better Than Before too. I have read it on my own and wanted to read it with him so he would understand what I was always talking about as I go through the day quoting Gretchen Rubin!! Also on the go for myself is The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown.

• Have you read “Looking for Lovely” by Annie F. Downs yet? I just finished it recently, and I loved it! I also hope you will read Courageous: Living the Fearless Life God Intended, written by yours truly. It was released on Friday. 🙂

• I just recently finished Dear Mr. Knightley, because I saw it here, and completely loved it!! I talked about it so much that my husband, who to my knowledge has never finished a fiction book, read the ENTIRE novel in less than a week- so thanks for that recommendation! Currently reading The Insanity of God– that I cannot put down– about a couple doing missionary work in Somalia during their civil war, and about to start Francis Schaeffer’s How Should We Then Live. And finally, one of the most helpful books I’ve read in a long time, Money Making Mom. I’m about 2/3 of the way through. This book is a life-changer for sure! *Highly* recommend it!

• Julie says:

I finished “dear mr. Knightley” and loved it a lot more than I thought I would.

Am starting “Resilience: a story of twomsisters and mental illness” by Glenn closes’ sister (Jessie Close).

Awhile ago I read “the year of no sugar” while it was funny, it was just that- a memoir. Not a whole bunch of health info, or the positive side effects of cutting out sugar, pas the basics.

• Katie says:

The Pecan Man by Cassie Dandridge Selleck

• Kaitlyn says:

Unbelievably happy that Even If Not is on your stack! 🙂 🙂

• Cassey Stanger says:

I currently work for scholastic book fairs as their merchandiser in Utah. I have tons of great book recommendations but my favorite of the last month are.
    I’ll Always Write Back by Martin Ganda and All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook by Leslie Connor. Both of these books are for young adults but have great messages that really resonated with me.

• Leah says:

I’m currently reading 93 books that came in my homemaking bundle 🙂

• Antonella says:

Hi Crystal,

any chance that you can upload your scopes on another platform (that saves them) now that Katch is folding? I love hearing all you have to say 🙂 esp. on books and entrepreneurship, but I cannot follow you live.

all the best

• Victoria says:

Heads up the The Abundant Mamas Guide To Savoring Slow is just $2.99 in Kindle Format right now! I grabbed a copy since the title was enough to catch my eye the first time you posted about it.

• I’m reading “Unstuffed” by Ruth Soukup. Very good for anyone who wants to simplify!

• Jody says:

I am currently reading:

Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court (John Wooden)

Ok I just have to share a few quotes from it:

“By applying yourself to the task of becoming a little better each and every day over a period of time, you will become a lot better.”

“So often we fail to acknowledge what we have because we’re so concerned about what we want.”

“A wise person once observed, “How much more pleasant this world would be if we magnified our blessings the way we magnify out disappointments.”

And I could go on and on with quotes, I’ve highlighted so much already and I’m only on page 19 but one final one:

“Never believe you’re better than anybody else, but remember that you’re just as good as everybody else.”

Needless to say I’m loving this book and highly recommend it! (I think you’d really enjoy it Crystal, you share so many similar sentiments!)

• Melissa H says:

I was thinking about your year of rest. Thought you may appreciate this song. I am giving you the live version bc it’s my favorite.

“Why is it easy to work but hard to rest sometimes”

Lament by Audrey Assad

• Aimee says:

Better Than Before is on my list! I’m currently reading Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. So, so deep and insightful.

• Loving My Actual Life is such a fantastic book! I wrote my review here http://www.myjoyinchaos.com/home/2016/4/book-review-loving-my-actual-life

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

• Jenna says:

Currently reading The Orphan Train and liking it so far!

• Jessica says:

I love a good bookish vacation! I had a similar spurt in March, but my reading has really been slow this last week or two because I keep getting sidetracked (mostly by the internet). 😉 Time to unplug and get back to my waiting stack of books!

• Tana Henry says:

I read Dear Mr. Knightley last month based on your recommendation. I posted about the other books I read last month here: http://www.luggageandliterature.com/what-i-read-april-2016/

I love your posts about what you’ve been reading and what resonates with you. Thanks!

• Donna says:

Silly Question 😉 …. With all you have on your plate, how do you manage to read so many books in such a short period of time ? … We still have five girls at home and we homeschool. I Love to read, but can’t seem to finish a book to save my life lately ! 🙁

• I was on the “IF” book launch team and I loved it! I’ve also read (and loved) “In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day.” I think I’m going to have to everything by Batterson! 🙂

• sandra says:

I read seven books in the months of March and April! Here’s a link to a post I just wrote about each of the books. Maybe you’ll find something good here to put on your “to read” list! Plus I am giving away one of my favorite books from the list!

• Angela says:

I’m looking all over for a book you briefly mentioned last week, about loss, on a scope. I meant to replay it, but forgot. Now I can’t find it anywhere. Does anyone have any clues to what it might be?

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy