MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

The Get Up Early Challenge: Want to Join Me?

The Get Up Early Challenge: Want to join me?

So, I’ve been slacking in the Get Up Early department over the last 5-6 weeks. We’ve been traveling and sick and, in all honesty, after a l-o-n-g year, I was tired. Because of the traveling and sickness, we were off our usual routine, so getting up later worked out.

But now it’s 2016, we’re back home from all of our traveling, and it’s time to get back on a great routine. Since I’ve cleared a lot of the excess from my schedule this year, I’m especially excited to get back on a routine — because the routine is so much simpler and doable this year!

Jesse and I went out on a breakfast date on New Year’s Day and we went over his goals for this coming year. One thing we both realized quickly, was that one thing that would make a significant difference for our family and for his goals for 2016 would be for us to make a very consistent morning routine a priority.

I’ve had a good morning routine for quite some time, but we haven’t had a consistent morning routine for our whole family. So that’s one of our big focuses for 2016.

And one of the big things we’re going to attempt to make a habit is both Jesse and me getting up at 5 a.m. every week day morning.

But Isn’t This Your Year of Rest??

It might seem counter intuitive for me to be jumpstarting my Year of Rest with a commitment to get up at 5 a.m. every weekday morning. However, in order to get up early every day, we’re also making a commitment to go to bed between 8:30 and 9:30 p.m. every single night.

I’ve found that I feel so much more rested when I go to bed early. And it’s very easy for me to get up early when I’ve gotten at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night. So while at face value it might seem like this is challenge flies in the face of my Year of Rest, it’s actually helping to encourage and facilitate my Year of Rest.

The Get Up Early Challenge: Want to Join Me?Why 5 AM?

We chose 5 a.m. because we looked at what we wanted to accomplish in the mornings before our kids get up and after our kids get up and felt like it was the perfect time to give us enough time and margin to get done what we need to accomplish.

We have both gotten up at 5 AM consistently in the past, so we know this is a time that we can stick with — especially if we’re both committed to it! 🙂

How Will It Work?

I’m going to be blogging between 6:30 a.m. and 7 a.m. CT with a little update on what time I got up and how the Get Up Early Challenge is going. You all are going to serve as my accountability partners in this. 🙂

I’ll also be scoping about The 5AM Miracle book on Periscope every day between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. CT. (I read this book yesterday and found so many helpful insights in it!)

If you’d like to tune in, you can download the Periscope app and then follow me (I’m @MoneySavingMom on Periscope).

Would You Like to Join Me?

If you’d like to join me, here’s what I’d love for you to do:

1. Choose what time is realistic for to get up each morning. Please be sure you’re getting enough sleep and it’s a time that works for your unique needs and family situation.
  2. Leave a comment on this post letting me know that you’re in and what time you’ve chosen.
  3. Check in on my daily morning post and/or my daily scope and leave a comment to let me know how you are doing with getting up early. I’m excited to all be encouraging each other in this endeavor!

P.S. Yes, I’m doing the 500 Things Decluttering Challenge and the Get Up Early Challenge starting on Monday. My Decluttering posts will go up around 2 p.m. CT. each week day. You can participate in one or both challenges — or just skip both altogether. It’s totally your choice! 🙂

174 Comments

• Blaire Ruch says:

I started today! 6 am!

• Tonya Alton says:

I plan to start on Monday and I will be starting my second week of makeover mornings. My target time to get up is 7am, God has been calling me to do this die quite some time. Thankful for this opportunity to join with others for the positive encouragement.

• Elizabeth says:

I started setting up early about a week ago. I set my alarm to get up at 6 AM; workout, & read my devotional & bible reading for the day. This has been a complete game changer! I feel more rejuvenated, energized & ready for the day! Now, I have to admit I am totally NOT am morning person! But understanding how my body feels physically, emotionally & spiritually after feeding my body exactly what it needs for the day is just amazing! I love Crystal that you are doing this because I know I am not alone & that motivation is right there!

Thank you!!

• Muchele says:

I have been saying to myself for the last 2yrs that I am going to do this challenge…..well 2yrs has come and gone and NO CHALLENGE. I want 2016 to be different. Hopefully if I am held accountable, it will happen. I also think, being part of YOUR CHALLENGE and reading other readers comments will give me the motivation that I need.

• I HAVE to do this. I got off track this winter. Let’s say 5:30 A.M. That’s doable and almost completely necessary for me to actually get my blogging done before the kiddos wake.

• Julie says:

I just wanted to pass on some encouragement to the moms of babies and toddlers. I have 4 children with the youngest being 3 years old. I started my early to rise journey about 2 years ago. It has impacted my life in many profound ways. However, most nights I am able to get a full night’s sleep with few or no interruptions. If I had tried to set a 5 am wake time 4-5 years ago, I’m sure I would have failed most days due to a crazy overnight- several of our kids have had awful sleep issues! As a driven person, I would have blasted myself for my lack of self discipline. Now, as my older “wiser” self 😏, I can see that it really does take a good nights rest to be able to wake up and use the morning well, not just heaps of self-discipline in the morning. (The self discipline comes in going to bed on time!) I hope you are able to extend yourself the grace that I probably wouldn’t have back in those early days. It does get easier (in some ways)!

• Mary Beth says:

Thank you for this! I’ve got 3 children ages 4 and under. Everyone was in a fairly consistent routine and Luis youngest even slept 8pm-3am until November 2015. We were all hit with a round of sickness and everyone has been in sleep regression since then. My youngest is waking every 1-2 hrs and only calms with me and not hubby. I thrive when I wake early…if I get consistent sleep. And I NEED sleep. So I’m feeling overwhelmed, almost back in “newborn” mode…but without the newborn. I desire so much to get rest and wake early and continue to beat myself up over it. It’s difficult to have a desire (and seemingly good one!) And be hit with the reality of impossibility in this season …and try to give myself grace. So, thanks you for this encouragement!

• Tracy says:

I’m in!!!!! I’ve decided that this year instead of New Year resolutions that I will either change or just ditch , I’m going to just change habits ( you know the ones that you always can see and be annoyed by in someone else but you yourself do also) and this is #5 on my list of twenty. My early to rise time is 6am.

• Lorri says:

I am going to start with 6:00 and try to work my way to 5:00…..Thank you for the encouragement!

• Nancy says:

I am so late joining the challenge, it I hope it’s ok:) Tues and Thursday I am already up at 4:35 am to take my teenager to the gym, but the rest of the days I have been slacking till he needs to get ready for school. I commit to getting up at 5 am the rest of the week to get the projects done that keep getting put on the back burner . Thanks for the encouragement !!

• Charity says:

I am going to start early rise at 6. I would love to do 530 but my toddlers silk wake occasionally so I don’t always get a full night sleep.

• Angeline says:

Hi everyone. I shall wake up at 6am tomorrow for starters.

• Mendy Truelove says:

I’m starting this late too. I hope that’s ok. I’ve really struggled with getting up in the mornings and how wroth the accountability this will no longer be an issue. I’m going to start waking at 5am so I have time to do a daily devotional or bible reading and meditate on that before heading out the door by 630am for school and work.

• Gretchen says:

I started on Monday, 6am for me!

• Debbie says:

I’m going to do this as well as the Go to Bed Early Challenge you told us about. I LOVE my kids but so enjoy the quiet, peaceful evenings after they go to bed. I use the time to catch up on emails, do church stuff, and sometimes clean. But I would love to get up early and be more productive and have more time for myself before they get up. However, it seems like the earlier I get up, the earlier they get up. My goal is to wake up at 6:30am (except when I work overnight once a week). And one morning I’ll get up at 5:10am for a spin class.

• Rosanne says:

My question is do you take a nap later in the day? In order for me to get enough sleep, I’d have to be in bed – asleep – at 9 p.m. My kids are teenagers and that just doesn’t work for this stage in my life. I really DO want to get up earlier, but how do you manage this? I’d love to get an hour of writing in every day before any one is up, but I just don’t see going to sleep at 9 p.m. as feasible.

• Robyn says:

6:00 am for starters!! I need to do this !!!

• Kim says:

I’m starting this a little late but my wake up time goal is 5:30!

• Jennifer says:

I’m starting at 6 am for the next 2 weeks, then switching to 5 am because I just took a job as a substitute teacher and I start in 2 weeks. The calls for jobs start at 5am so it’s the perfect time for me!

• Wendy says:

4:50 am!

• Donna Brown says:

I’m in with a wake up time of 7. I had been on medication that messed up my sleep. So 7 will be early for me.

• Kim says:

Hello, I’m late to the party but I’m Here!!! I just started a new job this year and I want to be productive and intentional in order to meet my goals. So I will start my get up early challenge at 5:15am. Good Luck to every one and so far you all are doing great. Proud to be a part. Just got to remember where I through the cell phone in the morning to shut off the alarm. LOL, live life to enjoy the moments…

• Kristen V. says:

Does anyone else like to play with their snooze button??!!

That is a culprit of mine to not get out of bed on time. So, my alarm will go off at 5:30 and I will get out of bed at 5:50!

Thank you for this challenge! It makes a world of difference when you have me-time with the Lord first in your day!

• Heather says:

I’m in! I’m going to get up 30 min earlier than usual so 6 am. That will be my quiet time with God.

• Sommer says:

I definitely need to do this. I am going to start this on Monday, at 5am! I hope this gets me more organized and less stressed! Thanks for sharing!

• Brandi Brown says:

I started today. It’s funny because this was my New Year’s resolution, and then I read my email and found some encouragement and support as well! Great to know I’m not the only one 🙂 I recommend the I Can’t Wake Up app, there is no way you can sleep through it.

• Nadine says:

Ooh this sounds fun! I will be getting up at 5am 🙂

• Bobbie-Jo says:

I plan to get up at 6am every day!

• Hillary N. says:

I just caught this today and I’m trying to get back into my early morning routine. I’m in for this challenge and I’m going to be waking at 5am.

• Rachel C says:

I’m signing up late but have already started this past week getting up at 6am. I would like to push it to 5:45am but need to work on getting to bed on time. That’s the hard part for me. Thanks for the challenge and motivation to do this!

• Samantha says:

I’m coming in late but hoping to start on Monday at 6am!

• Emily says:

Is it too late to join this challenge? I REALLY need to try this, some days if I don’t wake up before my toddler I never even get dressed.=( Plus I need to get serious about exercise and realistically early morning is the only time I’m going to get to do that….And, since my husband has to leave by 6:15am on the weekdays, I guess I’m joining the 5am-ers! Here goes…

• Ashley S says:

I’m jumping in late, but I totally need to do this! I’m going to go for 6am wake up time. We love the snooze button and end up being late everyday, which is no fun at all! Hope we can stick to it!

• Cindy says:

I am joining late but will plan to go to bed by 10:30, wake at 5:30. My plan is: 5:30-6 time with God, pray, thankful journal. 6-6:45 exercise. 6:45-7:15 shower, dress, make hubby’s lunch and talk with hubby before he leaves at 7:15. Make to-do list. 7:30 Wake kids and read “Jesus Calling for Kids” devotional with them while they eat. 8:45 kids to school, go to work, tackle to-do list.

• Saah says:

I am IN. That said, I promise to go to bed earlier when I can.
    I am an Insomniac. My hubby also has crazy schedule…Sometimes he has Early Field and Other Times he ha Late Field. So we go to bed at different times. I am often up all night. That is when I get most of my stuff done.
    I Promise to go to bed when he does or shortly after. I can’t promise to fall asleep and I have learned it does me no good o stay in bed when I can’t sleep.

• Jenny says:

This sounds great! I will be up at 5 a.m.

• Frances Moreno says:

Looks like in a late starter, too. Hmmm….this challenge looks like it’s gonna be perfect for me! I’m starting tomorrow at 5am. Yay!

• Saun says:

Good Morning,

I am starting Monday aka tomorrow. My goals Wakeup time: 4 am & Bedtime: 9 pm. Good luck everyone!

• Crystal Young says:

I wake up at 5 am every weekday by an alarm clock set to music. On the weekends I allow myself to wake up naturally, and it’s usually somewhere close to that same time, depending on if I stayed up late on Friday or Saturday night!

• Christine says:

Hi Crystal! I want to join. I need to join, but I struggle with knowing what time is reasonable for me to get up. I struggle with IBS and neck pain which disturbs my sleep. I can go to bed at 10 and wake up at 7, technically getting 9 hours of sleep and wake up feeling like I only got 4 or 5 hours of sleep. I wake up a lot to go to the bathroom and sometimes I can wake up at 3 and not go back to sleep. I feel a lot of guilt for sleeping til 8 or 9 on my days off work. On the days I work I come home a lot to take a nap. I have no energy to do much else. It’s tough because I have little time to do things when I am off because I sleep late, but I have the energy to do at least a few things in the day. I’m really struggling with what to do. I feel I need to just focus on getting the sleep I need and doing what I can with my day….that’s what one side of my brain says. :-/

• Jules says: