MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls (photos by Silas)

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Silas (just turned 5) asked if he could “be my cameraman” while I made Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls yesterday.

His photos turned out so well, that I had to share them here. I loved seeing this progression through his camera lens.

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

After we pulled the Cinnamon Rolls out of the oven, Silas helped me make the glaze to go on the Cinnamon Rolls. We didn’t have any more butter, so I just made a glaze with milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla.

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

I LOVE using this homemade vanilla that my Kansas friend, Angie, made for us! Someday, I’m hoping to try making my own homemade vanilla.

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

The finished result: SO delicious!

If you haven’t made Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls yet, do yourself a favor and put this recipe high on your priority list. You can thank me later. 🙂

56 Comments

• Julie C says:

They look soooo yummy ! But does the dough need to be done in a bread machine? They would be a great reason why I need to get a bread machine !!

• amy says:

Yes, these are yummy. Do you put the entire recipe in one 9×11? I’ve always used 2 round cake pans.

• Charity says:

Yummy! We love cinnamon rolls, especially with cream cheese icing. My husband like when I put just a touch of orange extract in the dough and icing. So good! I’m making pretzels with the children after naps/quiet time today and we’re going to make half of them salted to dip in mustard and the other half cinnamon sugar to dip in cream cheese icing. 🙂

• Charity says:

By the way, Silas did an awesome job as your camera man. Very impressed!

• Robyn says:

I have made these and my family loves them, so Thank you!! 🙂

• charitu says:

The vanilla link is broken.

• Heather says:

awesome job, Silas!

• Sarah says:

We make homemade cinnamon rolls at our house often. My 5 year old enjoys putting the cinnamon/brown sugar mixture on (messy, messy hands!).

• Brenda says:

I was literally thinking to myself yesterday after you posted the bread recipe, why doesn’t she ever make her cinnamon rolls anymore! I dream about them and was wondering how you have the will power to somehow refrain from making them! Thanks for sharing this recipe a long time ago, you have my family hooked!

• Need A Nap2 says:

Definitely make your own vanilla! If you start now it will totally be ready by Christmas. 🙂 I’ve been making some since last year. My friend loved the first batch. I used some for Christmas gift exchanges, some I mixed with sugar for vanilla sugar/vanilla sugar scrub (user’s choice).

The batch I’m making now is gluten-free using gluten-free vodka (not wanting to chance it with regular vodka). I feel weird buying alcohol but using it for vanilla.

• Mel says:

I agree! I was so excited to make homemade vanilla. Crystal if you email me your mailing addy I will send you some van beans I got from ebay. They have been in my freezer since January. You’ll just need to buy vodka (and they say the cheap stuff is just fine)

• Aw, you are SO sweet! Are you sure there’s not someone in your area who could use them? If not, I’ll be happy to pay you for them + shipping.

• Mary Lou says:

Does anyone know how long the beans are good for? I put mine in a cabinet with the intention to make vanilla two years ago. Just found them..are they any good?

• Karla Neese says:

I haven’t made cinnamon rolls in ages, except the tube kind, simply because it takes so much time that I don’t have. Earlier this year, I got my first bread machine – I asked at church first to see if anyone had one they didn’t want so it was FREE!!! I can’t wait to try this recipe this weekend. Looks delicious!

• Jordan says:

If wanting to freeze these would you cook them first or freeze raw?

• They look so good! And it’s so fun that you let him play photographer. My son LOVES it when I get him involved in my “jobs” around the house. I’ll have to make these once my 40 days on The Daniel Plan are over. No sugar, gluten, or dairy right now, so no cinnamon rolls. But I’ll be trying these when it’s over!

• Gary Armour says:

What a great job of photography, Silas! I need to hire one of my grand-kids to help me make photos for some of my projects!

• Sydney says:

What a great little budding photographer you have there! I hope we get to see some more of his work in the future!

• Delores says:

He did a great job with the camera!

• Nicole says:

These look delicious. I am wondering if you have a recipe for those without bread machines?

• Alicia says:

Wow! Silas is a natural at taking pictures. He did an awesome job. I think he’s got a great new skill/ hobby to explore.

• Karen says:

My daughter just asked me to make these. I haven’t made them in at least 6 months. I think we will have them this weekend! 🙂

• James says:

Great idea. My family also tries hard to make tasty and inexpensive snacks like that. I am guessing after you’ve invested in the machine, the rest of the ingredients are pretty cheap.

• Michelle says:

These are so yummy! My family always request them.

• Dionne Merriott's says:

I have made this recipe several times since you originally posted it and we love them. But after looking at The photos, I think I am doing the filling wrong. I always mixed the brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter together before spreading it, but it doesn’t spread nearly as well as yours. I am doubling the filling, too. Should is spread the butter on first and then sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon on top ?

• LInda Bossle says:

LOVE, LOVE the photo progression!!! Great job Silas and great job mom for training him up!!!

• BetsyD says:

Crystal~ Silas did a fantastic job and looks like you did too! Nothing like homemade cinnamon rolls. I just made my first batch of vanilla and must encourage you to follow in your sweet friend’s footsteps and do the same. It is so much better tasting and, oh my, the savings! My 32 fl. oz cost me around $20 to make (mostly the cost of the beans) but would have cost well over $100 in the stores. A 2 fl. oz bottle here is around $8. It’s super easy and fun to give away!

• Brandy says:

These are a very requested treat when it is our month to bring snacks for church! All the little old ladies in the church are always super impressed and shocked when they find that it involves a bread machine!

• Anonymous says:

Silas has a good eye for photo composition! The angle of the one where the rolled out dough is sprinkled with sugar is awesome. He takes better pictures than some of the adults in my family 🙂

• Debbie says:

He’s 5? It seems like you just had him. I guess I’ve been reading MSM for a while!

• april aakre says:

I made these today and they are soo good.

• Jennifer says:

Silas’ photos were really good and sharp! He had a good composition with each photo and even got an action shot. I’m impressed.

• Aubrey says:

Homemade vanilla extract is super easy. If you want decent price vanilla beans. We have had very good luck with the company Beanilla. http://www.beanilla.com/

• Sarah W says:

I love this recipe! I’ve made it a few times now, and have frozen half the dough, ready to bake, on a couple occasions. I let it defrost an hour on the counter and actually thought they tasted even better having been frozen. Maybe because the centers started out slightly cooler, and stayed even with the outsides of the rolls (the freshly baked ones rose really high sometimes). They were the perfect softness, and it was really convenient for making the night before. Thanks for a recipe my while family loves, Crystal!

• mandi says:

This is the first recipe I tried when I got my bread maker… And probably the one I have used the most in my bread maker. I love them even without frosting.

• Julie Wilson says:

yum, yum, yum!!! I love these! I make them with my kitchenaid mixer! and now I want them right now!!!

• Judy says:

Julie can you share how you did it using the mixer? My bread machine won’t hold four cups of flour but I have a big kitchen aide and have never used it for dough. Thanks.

• Brenda says:

The cinnamon rolls look so tasty!!
    We miss them very much since being diagnosed with celiac and having to go Gluten Free. Just wondering if you have a Gluten Free recipe to share. I have a problem deciding on GF flours that you have to add several flours together. Wish I could use one flour mix for everything . Thanks

• Tiffany says:

Made them for the last day of school. Super easy and tasted great. Thanks for sharing:)

• Wendy says:

Hi. Thanks for the sharing. May i know what flour do you use? Is it just all purpose flour or high protein flour?

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy