MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Sliced Baked Potatoes Recipe

Sliced Baked Potatoes

I’ve been making Sliced Baked Potatoes for years. In fact, this was one of the first recipes I started making way back in my early teens!

These are versatile, hearty, and delicious. They are a fun way to dress up an ordinary potato!

27 Comments

• Jen says:

Could you do this in the microwave too?

• Cassie says:

What a GREAT idea! We have baked potatoes at least once a week and I thought I had a lot of creative things up my sleeve to dress them up…. but this one is a new one that I am eager to try now! Thank you so much for the idea!

• Amy says:

I’ve never seen this before! Fun way to change things up – thanks!

• What a fun way to dress up a baked potato- and it looks pretty cute 🙂 I love cheese (currently fasting cheese, though, as I transition to a more vegan diet for a while), but I could always do substitutions and layer some soy cheese on top. Looks good!

• Stormy says:

When I make these, I put an old wooden spoon beside the potato before cutting, which serves as a knife stop. It helps keep the depth of the slices uniform, plus keeps me from accidentally cutting all the way through.

• Lisa says:

We eat a vegan diet, and there are some AMAZING nacho “cheese” recipes that we love! You will have no problem finding an awesome sub!

• Barbara says:

You can microwave for a short time and then let them get crispy in the 425º oven. I like them crisp with just a little evoo w/butter and garlic slivers down in the slices…salt & pepper! Cheese is nice but not necessary if you’re watching your calories.

• SandyH says:

These are called Hasselback potatoes, and they are easy and so delicious!

• Liz E. says:

Yum, Crystal! We make something pretty similar: we slice the potatoes much thicker (maybe about 1/4 in. or so), slide a little butter between the slices and season with salt, pepper, herbs, basically anything you want. Wrap these up, raw, in foil and grill on the grill until tender.

One tip that we love: sandwich the potato between two wooden spoons (just the standard wooden spoon with the small round handle works best) and cut. This helps keep from cutting all the way through the potato.

Thanks for another great recipe and variety!

• Carolyn says:

I do these on the grill. Slice them, then a butter about 1/4 inch put on top.
    I add a slice of Onion, Salt & Pepper. Wrap in foil. Takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
    Open up the foil and add Cheese, it will only take a couple of minutes for
    the Cheese to melt.

• Susan says:

Hasselback potatoes are a favorite with my family too. We make them with red or Yukon gold potatoes in addition to russetts.

I have a cutting board designed just for this purpose. It’s basically a small wooden cutting board with an indentation in it. Like a bathroom soap dish. You set the potato in the indentation and it keeps it from rolling around and prevents the knife from slicing all the way through. I’ve had mine for a long time and don’t recall how much I paid for it, but it was not expensve. In the $5-$10 range, probably. If you make Hasselback potatoes very often, it’s worth the small investment. Google “hasselback potato slicer” and you’ll find it.

• Genie says:

An easy way to NOT slice through the potatoes all the way is to put the handle of a wooden spoon next to the potato when slicing, or you could put the raw potato between 2 wooden spoon handles. It will prevent you from slicing it through all the way and also not dull your knife when you reach the spoon handle.

• Theresa says:

Do you cover these with foil or leave them uncovered? Thanks for the recipe!

• Angela says:

Have you had them with bacon in between the slices? It is AMAZING!

• kathy says:

Gave my hubby the recipe and he made them tonight, yummy! He made a few plan for the kids. Thanks for posting.
    Kathy
    Buffalo, NY

• Lindsay says:

Thanks so much for sharing this! I made them tonight & am in love with them! A perfect new exciting twist for Fall. I want to season them with everything now… My family is going to be eating lots of potatoes 🙂

• amanda says:

do you wrap the potatoes in foil or cover them before you bake them?

• safira ayu says:

What melted butter did you used? Did you put it in between the slices? I mean put the butter

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy