MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Savory Crescent Chicken Pockets

Savory Crescent Chicken Pockets

Note from Crystal: I can testify that these are amazing! In fact, these were one of my favorite meals growing up. This is a must-try recipe. Trust me on that!

Guest post from my sister, Gretchen

This has been a family favorite recipe for years. The rich, creamy filling makes these pockets so delicious and filling.

These are quick and easy to make, especially since I usually have all the ingredients on hand. The best part? They are freezer-friendly! I often whip of a double or triple batch of these and stick them in the freezer for lunches or dinners on the go.

While you can use a can of crescent rolls for the pockets, I prefer to make my own biscuit dough from scratch. It takes a little bit more time this way, but is so worth it in the end.

85 Comments

• Luba says:

Wow! Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe.

• Katie L says:

How do these microwave out of the freezer? I’m trying to come up with make-ahead lunches for my husband.

• Gretchen says:

I usually freeze them before cooking and then let them thaw for a few hours before cooking them. I’m sure they would microwave just fine straight from the freezer, but just might not be as crispy as they are when baking.

• Christina Smith says:

Buy one of those microwave crisper trays and cook it on that. You can get one on Amazon or eBay for about $20-40 and it should cook out of the freezer just fine.

• Jen says:

This looks just like a recipe that my mom used from a Freezer Cookbook – Once a Month Cooking I think!

• Jessica says:

These are great! I would like to make it with my own dough but I worry about it being more crumbly than the Crescents…could you link to a recipe please?

• Gretchen says:

Here’s my go-to recipe for biscuits:

2 c flour
      4 tsp baking powder
      1 T sugar
      3/4 tsp salt
      1/4 c butter
      1 c milk

Mix first 4 ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs. Stir in milk. Knead on floured surface 8-10 times. Roll to 3/4 inch thickness and cut into biscuits. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

• Angela says:

Do you ever make this biscuit recipe with whole wheat flour? Do you think it would turn out well if I simply used 2 cups whole wheat instead of white? Thanks!

• DJ says:

Never made my own biscuits and this looks easy enough…Questions: All purpose or self rising flour? When cutting in butter, are you using a mixer or hand stirring?

• Monica says:

Thank you!! My family hates refrigerated biscuit/crescent rolls so I can’t wait to make this with your recipe!

• Kim M says:

do you have a link to the recipe you use for your biscuit dough?

• Molly says:

how long will they keep in the freezer? How do you reheat them, oven or microwave and for how long?

• Gretchen says:

They will keep up to a month in the freezer. I usually freeze them before cooking them. Then I’ll pull them out the day I want to make them and let them thaw for a few hours before cooking. You can also probably microwave them straight from the freezer, but we prefer the crispy taste which is why I usually freeze them before cooking them.

• Jen says:

Please post your biscuit recipe…I have been thinking it would be great to have a biscuit recipe! (We love biscuites and gravy for breakfast) 🙂

• Chrissy says:

We have been making these for years. I change the filling all the time (sometimes we make buffalo chicken style, southwest, etc). I like to finish off the pockets by brushing some butter and spreading bread crumbs on top. We like the extra “crunch.”

• Skilled S. says:

Those look so delicious and easy to make! I love using crescent rolls for recipes, so I’ll definitely have to try this one out. Thanks for sharing:)

• Amy says:

Do you freeze these before or after baking them? If after, I have the same question as others…what is the best way to reheat them? Looks delicious!

• Tammy Doiel says:

I freeze mine before baking them; although I have forgotten before. I think they get more dried out if you have to bake them twice. If frozen, thaw them in the refrigerator and bake as directed (or until heated through.)

• Gretchen says:

• steph says:

We call these chicken things in our house we eat them every Monday for dinner. The recipe I have has cream chx soup on side to dip them in .

• Heather says:

Yum! I will try these for sure. 🙂 Thanks!

• Charity says:

Hooray! Gretchen’s recipes are back! I’ve really missed these posts, so I hope they continue to appear. 🙂 These look tummy, and quick. I look forward to trying them soon!

• Jen says:

Would like to have the recipe for biscuit dough too! Sounds very simple to make. Thanks for posting. Hope to see a biscuit dough recipe on here soon that you used. 🙂

• I make a recipe similar to this, but it has broccoli and shredded cheddar in it. My kids beg for it all the time, but I haven’t made it since I went gluten free. These pictures are making my mouth water, though, so I may have to come up with a gluten free version!

• Alicia Bales says:

you could use spelt flour instead of wheat flour. its around the same price if bought in the bulk section of your store. My fiance is gluten free too and we have basically just replaced the flour with anything that calls for flour 🙂 good luck

• Jen says:

Do you add anything else other than spelt? Like xanthum gum or cornstarch? Also, do you use the same amount of spelt as you would flour? Itd be awesome to have your recipe. I miss all the yummy food like I had before I had to go gluten free.

• Amanda says:

MaryEllen@ImperfectHomemaker, what is your recipe? Not a meat-eater here, so curious about your broccoli cheddar version. Thank you.

• Nancy says:

I make these with crescent rolls in a glass baking dish – but before they are finished baking, I pour a jar of Heinz (or any brand) chicken gravy over the biscuits, cover with foil, and finish baking until it gravy is hot and bubbly. Bites dipped in gravy are so good!

• Chelsea says:

These look really yummy! Have you ever tried different fillings?

• Katie says:

Please post your buscuit dough recipe!!! These look super yummmmmmmmmmy! 🙂

• Tammy Doiel says:

I’ve made these for years! I have them on my blog too–and I put a link to homemade crescent dough that I have sometimes used. http://creativekkids.com/freezer-friday-chicken-crescent-bundles/

• Ana says:

Can you please post the recipe for the dough?

• I will have to try these!

I love making freezer burritos and homemade chili for quick lunches for myself so these seem like they would be great for me.

• Kim says:

I’m always looking for new freezer recipes!!

• Brenda says:

We call these “Chicken Pillows” and usually make a chicken gravy to spoon over them.
    Love that they are freezer friendly as well, I’m always looking for more freezer meals and hadn’t consider these before.

• Tracy says:

I agree! Please link the biscuit recipe and let us know if you freeze before/after cooking. That’s always a question when you give freezer recipes… help!

• Gretchen says:

See my comment above for the biscuit recipe. 🙂 I usually freeze these before cooking them. Then I’ll pull them out the day I want to make them and let them thaw for a few hours before cooking. You can also probably microwave them straight from the freezer, but we prefer the crispy taste which is why I usually freeze them before cooking them.

• jane cate says:

As others have said, could you please post the biscuit dough recipe?

Also – for a *total* newbie – how do you cook the chicken? Do you use chicken leftover from another meal (and does it taste dry in this recipe if you do?) Or do you cook it specifically for use in this meal? Do you season it while you cook it? I am trying to wrap my head around this – is it chicken breast baked in the oven, grilled, fried?? Hopefully this does not come across as sarcastic in any way, I am literally just so confused. Thanks in advance for any tips!

• Tracy says:

I’ve made something similar with crescent rolls and I’ve used all kinds of chicken. I’ll fix a whole bird in the crock pot while at work, then shred later for recipes like this. I’ve used left over baked chicken, too. Very good. I don’t think it tastes dried out at all. I’ve even used canned chicken, in a pinch!

• Gretchen says:

I posted the biscuit recipe above in a comment.

I usually just boil frozen chicken breasts in water with no seasoning. It takes about 30 minutes to cook them. Then I just chop them up into cubed pieces with my kitchen scissors.

• Denise M. says:

I make these! We call them Chicken Puffs though. I use the cresents and sometimes biscuits. A Family Fave!

• Jen says:

I’ve made something similar for a long time… delicious! 🙂 One question, the ingredients list says 4 Tb melted butter but you said only 2 Tb in the directions part…. just wondering if it was a typo or you used the other 2 Tb elsewhere.

• Gretchen says:

Ooops! I’m so glad you caught that mistake. We’ll have to fix that. Yes, you use the other 2 Tbsp on the top of the crescent rolls. Melt it and brush on top after they are finished cooking.

• Victoria says:

I am going to have to try these for my husband’s lunches. He hates sandwiches and loves to take leftovers instead but with 2 teenage boys leftovers are getting rare not matter how much I cook it seems.

• Bethany says:

I’ve made something similar and add some veggies to the chicken mix! A frozen pea/carrot mix is easy and makes the filling go a little further with adding a bit of extra nutrition. Broccoli would be yummy too! 🙂

And along with everyone else, I’d love to have your biscuit dough recipe too. Hoping it’s bread machine friendly! 🙂

• Toni says:

Oh goodness, I’m giggling as I read this. Why? Because I just got dinner in the oven and sat down to check emails, your site, etc. What do I find? I find my dinner in the oven, right here. Yep, we too have been making it for years (we call it “Tressie bites” in memory of my dh’s mom, who used to make these for us before she passed away.) Her recipe called for evaporated milk, but since it was such a small amount out of a whole can, I have since eliminated the milk and it tastes just fine. I also don’t use parsley in mine, and I mince the onion very fine, but otherwise our recipes are thes same. My children love them. We always have them with a side of fresh steamed broccoli and fresh fruit and yogurt.

• Susan says:

Toni, you got me thinking about actually planning a menu. We love spicy chicken tortilla soup that is made with evaporated milk and make it often. (no specific recipe — I just throw stuff in). I’m especially craving it now that fall has officially arrived here in my neck of the woods. I’m going to set aside a little of the evaporated milk for this chicken pocket/pillow/puffie recipe.

• Kelly A. says:

I am definitely putting this on this week’s meal plan. If everyone approves, I will plan on making lots more for the freezer. I think this is the type of recipe I am looking for, for something quick to pull out of the freezer!

• Susan says:

For everyone asking for the biscuit recipe, I use Crystal’s “Homemade Freezer Biscuits” recipe that she’s posted here at MSM. Haven’t tried this recipe specifically with it, but I’m sure it would be good:
    4 cups flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup shortening or butter
    1-3/4 cup milk”
    Mix dry ingredients together. Add in the shortening until crumbly. Add in the milk and mix it into a ball. Roll out on a floured surface and cut into biscuits. Bake at 450 for 8-12 minutes.

I have some of those “Saute Express” seasoned butters that I picked up recently when they cost next to nothing with a sale and coupon. The “savory” one with rosemary I think would be really good with this recipe. I’m gonna try it today.

I wondered about the butter in this recipe too. It’s probably meant to be divided, maybe two tables in the chicken mixture and the other two tablespoons for sealing the biscuits. I’d use a lot less though, maybe 1 tablespoon in the chicken mixture.

• Gretchen says:

The other 2 Tbsp of butter are to be melted and brushed on the top of the pockets when they are finished cooking. I hope that helps!

• Michele says:

Here’s my biscuit recipe. They are southern style. If you’re wanting super fluffy handle the dough as little as possible.
    2c flour
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 T baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    6 T unsalted butter – should be very cold!
    1c buttermilk (whole milk + 1 T vinegar- Linux let sit for 5 min)
    Combine dry ingredients- in food processor
    Cut butter into chunks – add butter to dry mix in food processor & pulse
    Add buttermilk to do & blend

• Jill AnnMarie says:

Hello!
    This looks like an awesome recipe! I was just wondering… if I am freezing them… do I bake them first? Or do I freeze them in the raw dough?
    Thanks!

• Valerie says:

Will this biscuit recipe turn out well if you use a portion of whole wheat flour?

• Abby says:

How many servings does this recipe make ?

• Robyn says:

I made these tonight and they were a HUGE hit with everyone! The homemade biscuits really makes this recipe shine.

With three boys — two of them tweens — we had no leftovers. I’ll need to double it to have any to freeze. I served this with steamed veggies and a big salad.

My only gripe is that the boys were all starving an hour later. Sigh.

I think I might make these up for after school snacks. Or as a go-along with soup. It’s CRAZY how many calories these skinny boys eat…

Thanks for a great recipe, Gretchen!

• Lisa says:

just stumbled upon this website. Recipe sounds yummy! Can I get ideas of what you would serve with them as a meal? for picky eaters!

• Joel says:

This recipe looks fantastic.

• Alison says:

You can also add celery and green pepper to the onion and sautéed. I have not done it with the pasta.

• Amy AA says:

I love this recipe. My modifications: I add shredded carrots and garlic (shredded zucchini and/or spinach are also good) and use about 1/2 the amount of cream cheese. I used the canned biscuit dough (not crescent rolls). If freezing, don’t bake first- put on cookie sheet with wax paper not touching each other, freeze overnight, and then bag them up (this way the dough won’t stick). No need to defrost before baking.

• Erin Baird says:

I just made these tonight and they were great! Even my picky eaters loved them.

• Sara T. says:

We absolutely love these at our house! This will be a lifelong recipe for me, I’m sure about that. I was looking for a chicken pocket recipe that did not use crescent rolls and switching those out for biscuit dough was a game changer! I just buy the family pack of frozen biscuits, thaw and roll them out. Now I make a huge batch of these and just keep them in the freezer for days that I don’t feel like cooking. It is the ultimate make-ahead meal. Awesome 🙂 Thanks again.

• Jenny says:

Can I still freeze if I already baked them?

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy