MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Homemade Freezer Biscuits Recipe

These homemade freezer biscuits are quick, easy, frugal, and so practical! Say goodbye forever to canned biscuits! This recipe is a winner!! Best of all, you control what ingredients go in it, unlike canned biscuits that you buy at the store.

Say goodbye forever to canned biscuits. This recipe is a winner. It’s quick, easy, inexpensive, and so practical. Best of all, you control what ingredients go in it, unlike canned biscuits that you buy at the store.

My little biscuit-making helper!

Want more make-it-from-scratch ideas? I highly recommend Easy Homemade by Mandi Ehman. This ebook contains more than 60 recipes for homemade kitchen staples and it’s beautifully laid out, well-illustrated, and packed with great ideas and recipes.

Do you want to take better control of your grocery budget? If so, you’ll want to read my newest eBook, 5 Days to a Better Grocery Budget!

This eBook will give you all the tips, tricks, and practical advice you need to create a grocery budget tailored to your family’s needs that you can actually STICK to (because that’s the key!)

In this eBook, you’ll learn:

1. How to create a grocery budget that fits your family’s needs and your finances!
  2. New systems to help you keep track of what you spend at the store!
  3. How to actually stick with your new budget and save money for years to come!
  4. Ways to save up to $50 off your grocery bill THIS WEEK by using the 10 simple strategies outlined in this eBook!

Read to get started? Just use the form below to sign up!

Need to overhaul your grocery budget?
I want to help! Join my email list and get FREE ACCESS to my new eBook, 5 Days to a Better Grocery Budget. Sign up now!

146 Comments

• Suzy Horina says:

I was looking for a ” quick” way to make real shortbread for strawberry shortcake. I added 1/4 cup sugar to the recipe and it worked perfectly. Now I can serve shortcake at a moment’s notice. We have a large berry patch and this is a favorite treat around here.

• Kelly Cox says:

I just made these!! They worked out great! Can’t wait to try them out when I pull them out of the freezer. 🙂

• Rachel says:

Have you tried this recipe with buttermilk?

• Cindy McNair says:

These are the best and easiest biscuits ever!!! I’ve made them 3 times since Mother’s day already. Mmmm

• Rachel says:

I just made these and they didn’t rise. I followed the directions exactly. Any suggestions?

• Elaine says:

First things that I can think of are: 1) You used baking powder, not baking soda, right? and 2) You used 2 Tablespoons of it, not 2 teaspoons?
      Other than that, all I can think of is to not twist the biscuit cutter as you’re making the biscuits. Just press straight down and then lift it straight up. Twisting it might cause the dough to seal itself around the sides and prevent it from rising much while baking.

• Christine says:

But your recipe says Baking Powder, NOT baking soda!!!

• Lorrie says:

She was confirming you WERE using baking powder and NOT baking soda.

• Lauren says:

I’ve been watching the Great British Baking Show…when I made these to use the same day (not freezing them), I made sure to not over work the dough, and when the first batch went into the oven, I wrapped up and refridgerated the ball of dough. After 45 min of resting in the fridge, you can see that the same batch of dough rose twice as tall!

• Joyce says:

So what is it now Baking Powder or Baking Soda , and Tablespoon (as per recipe) or teaspoon ?
        Thanks for sharing this recipe <never thought of freezing biscuits .

• Veronica says:

Baking powder and Tablespoons! It does take a lot though. That is roughly the recipe that this Georgia girl has used all her life. Although the unit of measurement for the crisco is “about a chicken egg worth”!

• Judy says:

You may want to make sure they are touching. I know the ones you purchase in the store they warn you they will not rise if they are not touching.

• Jan says:

Check your expiration date on the baking powder. I throw away more than I use!

• Denise says:

So glad I found this recipe….no more frozen biscuits from the store for us! I do use 1/2 cup shortening – 1/2cup butter and I replace 3/4 of the cup of milk with buttermilk. Also, just a spoonful of sugar…shhhh! Thaw them about 15 minutes or so, rise nicely every time! Love these biscuits!

• kimber says:

Thanks for the recipe. They were super fluffy and moist. I didn’t have all purpose flour. So, I used self rising and omitted the salt and baking powder. I also added 1 tablespoon of vinegar to milk to give more of a buttermilk taste. I used vege shortening this time but will go with butter next time and maybe a tablespoon of sugar.

• Katie says:

How long can you keep them in the freezer?

• Amanda says:

Just made these this Saturday and baked this week! WOW…so GOOD. so easy and cheap to make too! Thanks for this.

(I posted a review on my blog too. 😉

• Leena says:

Hi, I was wondering if the frozen biscuit could be turned for other purpose such as pizza dough, or other switch up using biscuit recipe? Thanks. Will try this out soon.

• Toni says:

I made these with coconut oil…and post thaw they DO NOT rise and so then clearly aren’t flaky. Did anybody else have this problem? Not sure what I did wrong.

• Heather webb says:

Reading through the comments and saw some posts about using softened butter. I always thought you were supposed to use very cold butter and shortening?

So which way is it? Cold or softened butter/shortening? Just want to know before I make these. I’m looking forward to having homemade biscuits in the freezer. Thanks!

• Jen K. says:

When I make my mom’s buttermilk biscuits, I always use softened butter. You may have to be careful to not make the butter while incorporating and not over-mix. Over-mixed dough won’t rise.

• Jen K. says:

Oh, very cold butter (and ice water) is used for crusts, not biscuits 🙂

• Veronica says:

Cold fat makes for flakier biscuits!

• Tracy Goode says:

Use very cold butter for biscuits, too. It will then melt while it’s baking instead of while mixing, resulting in flakier, fluffier, buttery biscuits. I only use butter in mine, and they come out beautiful every time. As a note, Southern Living magazine’s test kitchen suggests freezing and grating the butter. I don’t go that far; I like the look of the butter in my biscuit dough, the same as in my pie crusts.

• Michelle says:

When baking, you should use room temperature milk, eggs, butter. I just saw this on Rachel Ray last week.

• Anna says:

Can you use these in place of vanned biscuits in things like monkey bread and casseroles?

• Sarah B says:

I want to know too!

• Harvey says:

I have done exactly this for a breakfast bake casserole. Defrosted them overnight in the fridge and cut up the next morning for use in the dish. Turned out fine, just bake at temp for casserole recipe. Obviously check it as oven temps can vary a bit, just to be sure.

• Kate W. says:

So is it baking soda or baking powder?! I see it says baking powder, but I think soda for rising…or am I mixed up?

• Cherre Holley says:

I would say baking powder since that is what is added to flour to make self-rising (as well as salt).

• Felicia says:

Has anyone tried this using gluten free flour?

• Jeanie says:

How thin do you roll the dough?

• Kathy says:

Do you know if you can let them thaw overnight in the fridge or in a warm place (oven, microwave)?

• Grace says:

Could you use non dairy milk? Like almond milk? I don’t keep dairy milk on hand 🙁

• Amy says:

This is a rather old post, so I don’t know if anyone will answer, but I just made these biscuits and have a question.
    I made a 1.5 batch of dough, and I got 24 biscuits. I used a wide mouth mason jar to cut my biscuits. I am wondering if I made them too thin and wide. I am wondering how thick to roll out the dough next time and what size cutter is best to use. I have never made homemade biscuits before, so I was unsure.
    Thanks!

• Stef says:

I haven’t made this recipe yet but other homemade biscuit recipes I’ve tried were calling to be rolled to 1/2 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter or something 3 inches wide. Hope this helps.

• VH says:

Yes dough should be about 1/2 inch tall. No wider than 3 inch. Personally I like 2 1/2 inch wide. I keep a sealed container in my fridge that is a mixture 50/50 real Lard & Salted Butter to use for baking. Easy to make: measure then bring to room temp, mix them completely. Fill sealable container, label put in fridge.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy