MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Pumpkin Spice Latte

I’ve tried a few recipes for Pumpkin Spice Latte in the past, but I’ve never been too thrilled with the outcome. All the recipes I’ve tried were time-consuming, tedious, and not very tasty.

But that all changed when I made A Farmgirl’s Dabbles recipe for making a Week’s Worth of Pumpkin Spice Latte base. It’s so easy to make a batch — and then even easier to make a single cup.

But it’s not only easy, it’s delicious. In fact, this is the first recipe I’ve found that actually seems to pretty closely mirror Starbucks.

And I’m guessing it’s quite a bit healthier for you than Starbucks, too! I think the Starbucks version might be a tad sweeter, but you could always add more sweetened condensed milk or sugar to the base batch or stir in some extra sweetener or coffee syrup to your cup when you make it.

By the way, when I told my husband that I was making this yesterday, he asked me all on his own if he could stop after work and get some dark chocolate for chocolate shavings on top. I kid you not. I love that man!

I followed the recipe exactly as written on A Farmgirl’s Dabbles. (Can you believe that? I actually followed a recipe. I need to print and frame the recipe and hang it on my wall or something as it just might be the first time ever!).

What are you waiting for? Head on over to her blog to check it out. It’s a winner!

Want something a little healthier, try this Real Food version of Pumpkin Spice Latte.

43 Comments

• I can’t wait to try this! Pumpkin spice lattes are my favorite drink ever. Thanks for posting this 🙂

• Cristina says:

Wow! Looks super easy, can’t wait to try it!

• Katherine says:

I think it’s awesome how Silas (and the girls too) is helping you in so many of your cooking and baking photos. My kids love to help too, and even though it sometimes gets messier or takes a little longer, they’re learning so much helping out and getting some quality time with Mom.

• Angie D says:

Sounds like you need some of these to get you through the week too! http://thecreativemama.com/frozen-whipped-cream-dollops/
    I am going to try to not make this right NOW! 😉

• Hannah says:

I love the idea of making a larger batch- and that mug is adorable!

• Brenda says:

I was thinking the same thing…I want that mug!
      And I’m making this tomorrow morning! I love that all the ingredients are everyday things that are always in my kitchen! Thank you.

• Mary Ellen says:

That is so funny because I have been trying different ones for EVER. They always claim to be “the one” but they aren’t! I haven’t tried this one… but the ones I made from pumpkin puree never worked. When I tried the one from Skinny Taste with pumpkin butter, it tasted as close to Starbucks as I’ve ever had.

• Thank you SO MUCH for sharing my recipe – I appreciate it! I love that you liked it without any tweaking, because I’m an obsessive tweaker, too. 😉 And your husband is obviously a keeper, running out for the dark chocolate – because that little bit of extra yum makes this drink extra special.

• Kimberly says:

My curiosity has the best of me….first of all to try this, seeing as how I’ve never had a pumpkin latte before. Second…I’ve just got to know what was it about this recipe that made you follow it without changing things?? I’ve been a reader since your BW days and you ALWAYS tweak recipes! So naturally I’m curious as to why you didn’t tweak this recipe.

• Crystal says:

🙂 Honestly, there didn’t seem to be anything to tweak in the recipe. Usually, when I look at a recipe, I’ll immediately know I’d want to tweak this, that, and the other.. but this one just seemed good as is. And it was! 🙂

• Tabitha says:

I tried a recipe last week that didn’t turn out well at all so I’m excited to try this! Thanks for sharing!

• Christie says:

Try brewing your fav. coffee to the 6 serving level, sprinkle a tablespoon of pumpkin spice in the grounds before brewing. Brew another batch of just plain coffee, put both batches in a 2 liter pitcher, add a cup of cream, or half & half, 4 packets of stevia, and you’ve got the best Pumpkin Spice latte known to man!!! Way healthier for you, and super easy. I also put it in the fridge, cause I love cold lattes!!!

• Jen says:

I totally pinned this to Pinterest. Thanks so much for sharing! I’m going to make this next week once things settle down!

• Kristie says:

Chia tea with a spoonful of hazelnut flavored creamer… it’s not pumpkin spice but it’s yummy!

• Jen says:

I’ve finally found my favorite Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe. Annie’s Eats has a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Syrup: http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/10/03/diy-pumpkin-spice-syrup-for-pumpkin-spice-lattes/

Every other recipe I tried was too gritty from the pumpkin or cinnamon, but this one is perfect!

• Amber says:

@Crystal – I went to check out the original recipe and noticed in the trackbacks that your post was linked twice, once to your site and once to a site called personalstudentfinance. They did site you at the bottom, but I wanted to make sure you were aware… I’m not sure of the proper etiquette, but it didn’t seem right to me!

• I can’t have dairy right now because I’m nursing and I’ve really been missing pumpkin spice lattes! When I saw this recipe, it occurred to me that I might be able to tweak it to make it dairy-free. I had unsweetened vanilla almond milk which I subbed for the milk, and then I used the thick coconut milk (from the top of the can) for the condensed milk. It’s not as sweet, I imagine, so if you try it, you may want to add more sugar- but it does work!!!

• Meghan says:

I’m enjoying the Pumpkin Week. I don’t have a recipe to add to the mix, but I do have pumpkin activities for kids: http://www.examiner.com/article/pumpkin-activities-provide-fall-fun-for-kids. 🙂

• Chanda says:

Umm..totally had to make these this morning. Am I the only one who was tempted to sit down and just drink the liquid straight from the blender? It was SO good! Enjoying my latte now! Yum!

• Anna says:

Beautiful photos! I wrote down the recipe to make my blender is back up and working.

• Twila says:

I have yet to find a homeade Pumpkin Spice latte that I like. I’ve started just making a latte with strong coffee and milk, then adding pumpkin spice creamer. I would love to find a homemade one I like though. So a question about this one. Do the spices and pumpkin incorparate well, because that’s been my problem in the past. The spices float to the top and the pumpkin tends to be clumpy. I want a smooth one, and I just can’t get past all that texture floating past my lips!

• Jen says:

Hi Twila, give the Pumpkin Spice syrup from Annie’s Eats a try (I linked it above). It is smooth and tasty.

• Laura says:

Yes I second this! Use Annie’s recipe and strain it well!

• Twila says:

Thanks! I had seen it and actually pinned it. Is it hard to strain? Last year I tried one I had to strain, and it was hard to get it all to go down through the cheese cloth. Do you think using homemade pumpkin puree would make a difference? That’s what I use.

• Lori F. says:

I strongly endorse the Annie’s Eats recipe as well! I made it and strained it through a fine mesh strainer, not cheese cloth. I had to squish the last of the mixture around with a spoon a little to get it through the strainer but it is smooth and has great pumpkin flavor. Since I don’t have a Vitamix, this recipe was wonderful for me.

I also posted the recipe on FaceBook and my SIL called me Saturday morning to thank me and told me she and her hubby were drinking their homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes at home. She loved the recipe as well.

• In my version, I dissolve the spice, pumpkin, syrup, and instant coffee in very hot water before I add milk (and ice…for an iced version). That in essence makes a syrup and that’s the key. 🙂 I agree, floating spices are not very fun.

• Aliesha says:

Thanks for linking to my Real Food Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe! Brenda’s recipe looks delicious too!

• Margery H. says:

I was excited to try this b/c I love the pumpkin lattes at Dunkin Donuts. However, my son and I both did not care for this recipe. I was disappointed because it makes such a huge amount, about 1-1/2 quarts of the mix.

I was so sad to waste the ingredients, but then it occurred me that it isn’t that different than many of the ingredients in my whole wheat pumpkin pancakes. So to the latte mix, I added four eggs, 1/2c. oil, whole wheat flour, and thinned it with more milk. Now we have a freezer full of pumpkin latte pancakes!

• Crystal says:

I’ve never had the pumpkin lattes at Dunkin Donuts so it’s possible this recipe tastes a lot different. I’m so sorry you didn’t like it, but I’m so happy you foudn a creative way to re-use the ingredients! Genius!

• Melissa says:

Thank you for the pancake recipe – I don’t like this one either. I don’t know if it’s the allspice or what; it tastes OK alone but when I add it to coffee it’s undrinkable for me, even after I strained it. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the mix.

• Laura says:

So if you put the leftovers in the fridge, did you just re-heat a cup the next day?

• julia says:

I too could not enjoy this due to the grit in the cup… even after blending it for a long time. And I really wanted to like it! I read someone used the rest of the pumpkin spice mix to make pancakes? I might try that because I’ve still got a blender full…

• Crystal says:

I’m wondering if the Vitamix really helped with that — mine didn’t have grit. I’m so sorry some of you aren’t enjoying this recipe. 🙁

• Dana Ebbs says:

Thank you! I made this yesterday and it was delicious. I did add another 1/4 can of sweetened condensed milk (I guess I prefer it sweeter!) but I used fat free and I used half skim milk/half whole milk. What a great treat without handing over $4 to Starbucks!

• Cat says:

I made this today, and while I didn’t mind the flavor (I do have a vitamix and blended a while) I’ll never get through all of it since it’s just me drinking these. I realized that its basically a recipe for pumpkin pie minus the eggs, so for those of you who aren’t fans of it, add two beaten eggs, pour into a pie shell and bake as pumpkin pie.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy