I concocted these the other night and they ended up being a huge hit with everyone in our family. They were gone in a flash and I had to make more since Jesse was wondering what happened to them the next day!
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my similar Homemade Pizza Pockets recipe. Those are fantastic, too!
Freezer-Friendly Chicken Salsa Pockets
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F.)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (raw sugar or sucanat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons oil (I used olive oil.)
- 2 1/2 cups flour (I used unbleached, but I think half white, half whole-wheat would also work well.)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 to 2 cups baked and chopped chicken
To make dough: Mix yeast into warm water until dissolved. Add sugar, salt, oil, and flour. Mix well and dump onto a floured surface and knead for 3-5 minutes, until a soft dough forms.
To make pockets: Divide dough into 8-10 pieces. Roll pieces into balls. Flatten balls into circles with rolling pin. Dollop a spoonful of salsa onto dough circle, sprinkle with cheese and chicken. Fold over and seal tightly.
Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 500 degrees for 10-15 minutes until browned.
To freeze: Cool completely and store in an airtight ziptop freezer bag for up to 2-3 months.
To serve: Remove desired number of pockets from the freezer and warm them individually in the microwave for about two minutes or until heated throw. Or, warm on a cookie sheet in a 350-degrees oven for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Makes 8 to 10 pockets.
Are you joining us for Lunchbox Freezer Cooking? If you’ve blogged about a lunchbox recipes you’ve made for your freezer, leave a link to your post and recipe below. I can’t wait to see your yummy recipes and ideas!
Other posts in the Lunchbox Freezer Cooking series
- My Lunchbox Freezer Cooking Plan
- Bean & Cheese Burritos
- Lunchbox Freezer Cooking: 3-Ingredient Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (Day 2)
- Lunchbox Freezer Cooking: Mac N' Cheese Cups (Day 3)
- Lunchbox Freezer Cooking: Peanut Butter & Jelly Sushi (Day 4)
- Lunchbox Freezer Cooking: Chicken Broccoli Rice Cups (Day 5)
- Lunchbox Freezer Cooking: Homemade Pizza Lunchables (Day 6)
- Homemade Chicken Salsa Pockets
- Lunchbox Freezer Cooking: Mini Lasagnas (Day 8)
- Corn Dog Muffins
- Lunchbox Freezer Cooking: Allergen-Free Chocolate Crunch Bars (Day 10)
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!