MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Freezer-Friendly Ham & Cheese Pockets

These are SO delicious and the recipe is SO simple! These are great to make ahead of time and stick in the freezer for quick lunches.

Today’s recipe is one that was one of our favorite law school recipes. I haven’t made it since the law school days and had all but forgotten about it until I saw Amy’s recipe for Ham & Cheese Pockets.

Since our budget was so tight when Jesse was in law school, I only made this recipe when I was able to find ham on some amazing closeout price. Every once in awhile, Dillon’s would have it marked down to $0.49 to $0.99 for the small packages of thin-sliced lunchmeat.

I usually had a coupon to pair with this deal, so I rarely paid over $0.50 per package of lunchmeat. I could stretch one package to 5-6 Ham & Cheese Pockets and they were a special treat since we didn’t eat a lot of meat during that season of life.

At any rate, since we have more wiggle room in our grocery budget these days, I splurged on thick-cut ham this time around, and these turned out SO good. I can’t believe it’s been such a long time since I’ve made this recipe. It’s definitely something I want to make more often now that I remembered about it! 🙂

103 Comments

• Aisha says:

I really enjoy your blog. I am a law school student (just finished my first year) and just started freezer cooking to save time during the week. My roommate and I are both gluten free, but we’ve been able to follow along with your freezer cooking recipes fairly well with some modifications. Our favorite so far has definitely been these ham and cheese pockets–I made gluten free dough and turkey ham. My roommate loved them so much I had to make another batch to freeze. Thanks so much for the inspiration and easy recipes!

• caroline scott says:

Hi,
    This may be a daft question but did you use fast acting dried yeast (granules) or did you use fresh?
    I’d love to try these ASAP! Can’t wait!
    Thanks for you site x

• Jenna J says:

These are great! Made them tonight for dinner and threw the rest in the freezer. YUM! My husband already wants me to experiment more with them.

• Amanda says:

HEY! Made these and my husband said they were great. Shared it with a friend who enjoyed them as well. She did 1/2 whole wheat flour and said they still came out delicious! So I will for sure try that out next time.

I also plan to try some flavored crust like garlic parm :).

Filling ideas to share:
    Turkey & pepper jack
    Pepperoni, mozzarella & a little pizza sauce
    Baked Chicken, Broccoli & a little Alfredo
    Scrambled Eggs & Sausage
    Baked Apples with Cinnamon Sugar 🙂 🙂

Thanks for the recipe! <3

• Karen says:

this is a super silly question, but do you let the dough rise after you knead it? I plan to use the bread machine. I can take it out after it mixes, but my dough cycle includes a rising time. Thanks!

• Debbie says:

I have tons of pizza dough in my freezer….could I use that instead of buying the ingredients to make my own?? Looks delicious and can’t wait to try it!

• Katherine says:

My husband and I LOVE this recipe. We make a bunch and freeze them. They heat up in the microwave so fast (1 minute max) and save so much time during the week. We are both schooling full-time and working, so these are a life saver! We have tried adding Italian seasoning to the dough and covering the pockets with garlic powder and parmesan cheese before baking. Super delicious, and so much better than Hot Pockets haha. Thanks so much for this post!

• Briana says:

If I am making the dough by hand, should I let my dough rise after I knead it?

Thanks.

• Lucia says:

I think you would let the dough rise just like it would on a dough cycle in the bread machine.

• Sara says:

What kind of cheese do you recommend??

• Kristi says:

I’ve made this recipe several times now. I use my stand mixer to knead and I never let it rise, they always come out great! I live this because it can (and almost always is) an impromptu dinner. Thanks for the recipe.

• Chris says:

Can you use those frozen Rhodes bread or rolls to do this instead of making the dough from scratch?

• Carolyn says:

I haven’t looked through all the questions and comments cuz I’m sure someone has asked… can I substitute the dry milk? I literally have no other use for it and it’s not like you can buy it in small quantities. Thanks!

• Sarah says:

Did you sub it??

• Rebekah says:

Quite a few bread machine recipes call for dry milk, so might not be a horrible thing to have on hand. 🙂 However, if you don’t have any, I’m told you can substitute the water for milk instead, and omit the dry milk. I’ve not tried it, however.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy