MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Last night’s Health Food Store shopping trip

I wanted to get some fruit to tide everyone at our house over while Jesse and I are out of town this week. So I ran by the health food store last night and picked up the following:

4 oranges — on sale 4 for $1

4 grapefruit — on sale 4 for $1

3.31 lbs. Gala apples — on sale for $0.79/lb.

1 coconut — marked down to $0.99

6.66 lb. Organic bananas — marked down to $0.39/lb.

Total with tax: $8.79

21 Comments

• Ginger says:

Crystal: I eat/drink a lot of fresh coconut meat and water, and that coconut looks like it might be bad. When you open it, if the meat and/or water is pink, it is bad. Depending upon how far gone it is, it could also have a strong fermented smell. You’ll know if it is good when the meat is as white as a sheet of paper. The water is FANTASTIC, God’s nectar!

• Crystal says:

It was skinned–except for the top part–so I think that’s why it looks weird. I’ve never bought one like that, but I thought it’d be fun to try it!

• Ginger says:

Yes, all young Thai coconuts are shaved like that. (The round brown ones are mature and unshaved; their meat is firm and the water isn’t as good or plentiful.) The reason I believe that one to be bad is that it is brown with a darker ring around the point. Should be white. Let me know how it goes. They are really yummy and refreshing, and I’m glad you’re open to giving it a go. 🙂

• Crystal says:

Hah! See, what do I know?! Thanks so much for the heads up on what I should be looking for so I’ll know better in the future when choosing them at the store. I’ve only purchased the unshaved kind in the past… no wonder it was marked down to $0.99! 😉

• Beth says:

Wow, I am totally learning here! I would have had no idea. And now I’m really curious if it is good or bad….so, Crystal, you have to come back and tell us!!! 🙂 I will die of curiosity I think…. 🙂 (yes, I’m dramatic…)

• Casey says:

You find the BEST deals at your health store! Hard to not be jealous. Clearance finds at my health store are still more expensive than prices at a regular grocery store. 🙁

• Kristine says:

Our health-food store doesn’t even have fresh produce, and I’ve never seen anything on sale there. I hardly ever shop there because I can get whatever they have cheaper online.

• Kate says:

Crystal what do you do with the coconut? I don’t think our stores even carry them around here – not that I would know what to do with them if they did!

• Jan says:

How to you cut open a whole brown (“hairy”) coconut? I got one once and the best we could do was drive a nail through the “eye” to get the water out- I never was able to crack it open- we tried hitting it with a hammer on the driveway ???

• Challice says:

My hubby got a coconut at Vallarta’s last time we were out of town to show the kids. They had a blast learning how to “cut” (hack) open a coconut and drink the milk.

envious of your grapefruit find! WOW! I think the lowest I can find right now is $2.99 ea?

• Jenna says:

are you able to share what health food store you go to?

• Jen B says:

$.39lb for bananas? So jealous. Here in Australia they are $5.98 a kilo…approximately $3lb!

• What do you do with all your bananas before they turn?

• I love seeing healthy food purchases!!! 🙂