MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Dillon’s and Dollar Tree Shopping Trips

In addition to stopping at Walgreens, I also made a quick trip into Dillon’s and the Dollar Tree today. Here’s what I bought:

Dollar Tree — Eight different kinds of Nature’s Own breads and buns for $1 per package.

Dillon’s — Organic plain yogurt marked down to $1.59, two packages of deli ham for $1.29 each and one box of Kashi cereal for $0.99 (on sale for $2.99, used $2/1 coupon from Recyclebank.)

42 Comments

• Holly says:

I just paid more than TWICE that for the meat at Target with a COUPON! And I must check my Dollar Tree for the bread! Do they take coupons?

• Melissa says:

Do you use that much bread or do you freeze it? Can you freeze bread? It doesn’t get soggy?

• Crystal says:

We freeze it. I usually buy this much about once a month and it lasts us for 3-4 weeks.

• Becky says:

I freeze bread all the time, and you can not tell a difference when it thaws.
      You can toast it if you are worried about sogginess too.

• Lynn says:

I also freeze bread all the time. Like Crystal I usually buy several loaves at a time and freeze them – we have a bread store where they send soon to expire bread (although often I get bread with the same exp date as I would get at the store) – I get this same bread for around $1 and then freeze it. I thaw it by just setting it on the counter and letting it thaw to room temp – have never had a problem, tastes the same as when you buy it!

• cbowers says:

You can freeze the bread and I have found that when you need the next loaf put it in the fridge to de-thaw over night and then you can put it in the bread box before you go to work. Taste fine and just as fresh. We buy 3 loaves a month at Dollar Tree and then freeze the first two until we are ready to use them.

• kerrin E. says:

I wish my Dollar Tree carried this bread!!

• ton says:

Me too! I’m hoping when our Dollar Tree reopens after relocating that they will carry more stuff like this.

• Erin L. says:

I just got two loaves myself – yesterday – was hoping for Natures Own hot dog buns but they did not have any 🙁

• Crystal, you find the best markdowns! I’ve been looking for a Kashi on clearance to use the $2 off coupon, no luck so far.

• Crystal says:

Do you have a Target store? They often have the TLC bars priced at $2.69 to $2.99, making them a good deal after the $2 coupon.

• I had been looking for clearance deals for a few weeks but decided to go ahead and use it before it expires. Meijer has the soft baked cookies for $2.50 this week. Made it 50 cents after the coupon, I would have preferred to get the cereal though.

• Jessica says:

I go to Aunt Millie thrift stores for my bread – $0.89 per loaf and if you’re counting calories, it’s 70 calories for 2 slices (they carry many loaves of bread, but this bread is the best calorie wise). They also stock hamburger buns, hot dog buns, bagels, etc. Not sure if there’s one in any of your areas, but worth looking into, I think.

• Sarah says:

Do you do anything special when you freeze bread? I just stopped at our bakery outlet and got a few loaves for #1 each this week; they are individually wrapped with an outer bag too. . . I just threw them in the freezer!

• Koree says:

I have seen Natures Own at Big Lots. For $1.20

• Shanna says:

I was just at our Dollar Tree (and went a LITTLE bit crazy lol) they had a whole bunch of great things (like always lol) They didnt have the bread, but they did have Full Size boxes of Count Chocula- Which My husband was very excited for. Full Betty Crocker size care bears and my little pony fruit snacks (10 pks), Poptart 3 packs (single 2 poptarts in each, but 3 per pack! thats the same as a whole box)… Princess and Tinkerbell Paper Lunch sacks, and Ziplocs. Like I said, we went crazy, but it all can be put to good use and was such a great price, for a buck you cant beat it! lol Sorry had to share!

• Lisa says:

Feeling jealous about the bread and all the deals!!

• kj says:

My mom just came by with 26 pounds of hormone-free hamburger which she kindly let me buy from her for a great price. Does that count as a good deal? I didn’t even have to leave my house! 🙂

• Katie says:

very jealous on the bread at Dollar Tree. None of ours in Charleston, SC carry bread. But I have been able to find a few good deals on B1G1 bread at our local Harris Teeter and Publix lately. My best deal was $.28 for 3 loaves of nature’s own oatmeal bread at the end of April. It was at Harris Teeter’s Super Double week. Normally I don’t want to pay more than $1.50 per loaf. I always freeze my bread! My family of 5 can go through a loaf every 2 days just making lunches! Need to get another freezer just for bread 🙂

• cathy says:

I love to stock up on bread this way. It’s good to have when you want to pull a loaf out of the freezer for french toast on the weekend!

• cathy says:

Hey Katie! I’m in Moncks Corner, just “up the road” from you and our Dollar Tree has the bread. Maybe it’s coming your way!

• crystal b. says:

We love aunt millies, their whole wheat hb buns are our faces. I get them at meijer. They go on sale all the time-bread and buns for $1-$1.50 per loaf and between inserts and home mailers, there are usually coupons for a great deal. I, too, freeze bread all the time.

• pat says:

I get the bread on clearance to make french toast (usually 2 loaves at a time) and then freeze in the original bag. Kids love to pop it in the toaster before school for a quick hot breadfast. you can eat it plain or make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to eat on the way to the bus. i also cut it up for the little ones to dip in syrup. i put the syrup in a lid i saved from mayonaise so it doesn’t make such a mess.

• Kelyn says:

Do you have an recommendations on how to freeze and thaw stock up items. Bread I’m not so worried about…but I’m still leary of milk, cheese, lunch meats etc… What are your best tips on stocking up and preserving mark downs?

• Sea says:

I have never tried this tip but with cheese I have heard to shred it first (if it is a block) and then freeze, otherwise when you thaw and try to slice the block it may crumble. Otherwise I adjust our menu’s with marked down items at times to use it up, but a lot of things are still good for awhile afterwards.

• Sea says:

I found your website a couple weeks ago and I am very excited about it! One thing I enjoy doing is looking for marked down items- one of my biggest ways to save money on dairy and other items!

• ton says:

I just have to share my great deal! A few days ago I got 15 packages (approximately 3-4 lbs. each) of corned beef roasts for…drum roll please…25 cents/lb. Since my hubby takes a lunch every day, and loves corned beef this was great for us. I just threw them in the freezer. (I have been trying to make roasts or turkey and chicken for his sandwiches instead of deli meat. They taste better and are probably a little better for him–although with corned beef that may be debatable!)

Don’t be afraid to ask the meat guy or manager if they’ll cut you a deal on close date meat. These said “use or freeze by” the date I bought them. They were already marked down to 99 cents/lb. However, I knew we’d eat them, it was 9pm, and I was fairly certain nobody would be buying any that night so the store would have to toss them if I didn’t buy them. I asked if they would cut me a deal if I bought them all and suggested 25 cents/lb. It never hurts to ask. The worst that can happen is that they say no!

• Meredith Ball says:

I think that you have a lot of followers in the Charlotte, NC area. When you started posting that bread was at the Dollar Tree, I stopped by. The first time, I got two basic wheat loaves. When I went back, they didn’t have anything nor have they had anything the past 5 or 6 times I have been there. So, I asked, and apparently the day the truck comes in, there are a line of women waiting for them to unload the bread. Apparently, they only stay on the shelves for 10 minutes max now. Maybe I’ll check in a couple of months when the new wears off!

• Pat B. says:

In reguards to freezing milk & cheese. I do it all the time. I buy the 8oz. shredded cheese at Frys(Kroger) . They sometimes put it on sale 10/$10 ! I stock up & freeze in the original packaging. Milk will freeze fine too. I usually freeze it in smaller(qt/1/2gal) containers. I try to NEVER buy milk at Reg. price, & having a stash in the freezer helps.

• Krysten says:

Just curious, Crystal: why did you buy 5 different types of bread? Are you trying them all to see what you like best, or do you just like variety? I know, it’s probably a random question :^) but when I buy bread, it’s usually all the same type.

• Koree says:

At Meijer’s one day sale tomorrow they are having a bread deal….Aunt Millie’s I think (heard it on the radio on the way to work)….I believe it was BOGO.

• Carly says:

Hi Crystal,

I have followed your blog for a few months now and have really been able to find some great deals for my family. Thank you!

I just wanted to mention something I just found a few weeks ago. Have you ever heard of Cultures for Health? I bought a yogurt starter there (12$) that you can use to make yogurt without a yogurt maker! (Shipping is $3.99 for any order!) It cultures right on the counter and you can reuse some from each batch to make more. You can do this indefinitely as long as you do it once a week. It is a great cost savings – I make a quart each week by using 4T from the previous batch and 4 cups of whole milk. I also bought one of their buttermilk starters to make buttermilk and sour cream from the same starter! I am loving that I can save money on these dairy products and know that I am getting some good health benefits from the cultured products too.

I just wanted to mention it, in case you or your readers wanted to check it out. Thank you for your website and all the great deals!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy