MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Hamburger Vegetable Soup Recipe

Hamburger Vegetable Soup

This is the very best Hamburger Vegetable Soup I’ve ever eaten. Growing up, it was a staple recipe at our house and now it’s become one of my husband’s favorites, too.

Our children also love this soup — especially when topped with shredded cheese! It’s delicious paired with Bread Machine Buttery Rolls and the perfect way to warm up a chilly winter evening.

88 Comments

• Hey Crystal,
    I commented way up there, thanking you for the print option.
    Okay, first off, my hubby HATES soup. As in, I’ve never seen him eat soup in over 26 yrs of marriage.
    I made this soup on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, I put it in the crock pot with a bit more water, and left it to heat while we were at church.
    Later on that afternoon, hubby keeps talking about how good that soup smells. He decides to taste it. He proceeds to eat 2 bowls full!! And has another bowl before bed!! Asks when I can make more. Ha!!!
    Thank you Crystal!! I love soup, but have never made it much. No worries anymore!!

• melissa says:

Okay, I made this soup today with a few modifications. Just 1/2 pound lean ground beef (that’s all I had), added 2 cups diced celery (to use it up), added about 1 cup diced peeled sweet potatoes (to use them up), left the peel on the white potatoes, cooked the onion, carrot, and ground beef in 1 Tbsp canola oil, and used 4 cups beef broth as part of the water. I completely omitted salt, since I used broth and my tomatoes had salt. Upon tasting, I thought the soup was good (smelled great!), but was missing something. Crystal is right: it needs quite a bit of salt to push the flavor from good to incredible. So I added 1 tsp kosher salt and that did it. My calculations put the total sodium of my version (broth, tomatoes, and kosher salt) at 7700 mg. Thanks, Crystal, for a great and simple soup recipe!

• melissa says:

Oh, and I almost forgot – A big double thanks for a recipe that gets my 4 year old to eat veggies. She and my 2.5 year old loved it!

• Vieve says:

Thanks, Crystal! My husband is not a huge soup fan, simply because it doesn’t fill him up. He has eaten this for three meals now 🙂 Thank you, thank you. I’ll be tweaking the salt next time b/c my tomatoes has salt in them, but it’s a great recipe.

• Carrie says:

could you cook this in a crockpot after browning meat ?

• Jessica says:

I often do that! Works great in the crockpot, just make sure you allow enough time for the rice and potatoes to get tender.

• Angie says:

It is definitely soup weather today where I am. I’m looking forward to trying your Hamburger Vegetable soup.

• Jeanette says:

Can this soup be frozen?

• Amie says:

I just made the soup with substitutions based on what needed to be used and what I had on hand. So… soft tomatoes and 1/6 jar of marinara sauce instead of canned tomatoes, grated brussel sprouts instead of cabbage, Italian seasoning instead of basil, bay leaves, and thyme, dried onions and some frozen bell peppers instead of onions, and, since my son wanted it more like a vegetable beef soup he had at school, I added some frozen mixed veggies about 15 minutes before it was served. It was soooo good! I love that it adjusts so well. I halved the recipe and we still have plenty of leftovers.

• Edie says:

Sounds great, but the only thing I would do different (I do this with any soup I make) is after I make it, I let it sit overnight in frig so the fat gets solid and I can remove it. Much healthier and no greasy taste.

• Just realized I have yet to comment about this soup. I am making a pot tonight, figured it would be the perfect supper with homemade rolls with the cold weather We’re having. I have made this soup many times and it has become a family favorite. It is so hearty with the meat and rice in It, and I love all the veggies it has. Very delicious, thanks for the recipe!

• denna graham says:

Yummy

• Pat Johnson says:

Made this soup today! Was very good, salt is the secret to the flavor.. just had a late nite bowl oh boy even better. Tasted even better after it had sat for awhile. I used beef stock instead of water. If you want to get vegetables in your diet, this soup is a winner!

• Toni says:

Love to the hamburger soup cause I this

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy