We’re talking a lot about getting up early here on MoneySavingMom.com this month. And it’s not necessarily because I think it’s cool or fun to get up before the sun.
Quite the contrary! In fact, as I confessed this morning, I often come up with excuses for staying in bed longer.
The real reason I want to encourage you to become more of an early riser is because I want you to reap the fruit that comes from starting your day off on the right foot. By getting out of bed and approaching your day with energy, enthusiasm, and a plan, you’re setting yourself up for success from the get-go. And a successful life happens by stringing together successful day after successful day.
Truly, how you approach your day when you get up each morning can have an affect on not just your entire day — but your entire life. That’s powerful!
So, with this in mind, here are 15 things you can do each morning to set your day up for success (you don’t have to do all of them every morning — but pick a few and do them consistently and see if they make a difference!:
1. Make Your Bed.
It’s a little thing, but making your bed not only makes you feel accomplished as soon as you get out of your bed, it also makes it harder to get back in your bed.
2. Pray/Read the Bible.
My favorite time of day is my early morning quiet time when I read a few chapters from the Bible and pray.
3. Count Your Blessings.
I also take a few moments every morning to write down a few things I’m thankful for in my Gratitude Journal. It’s amazing how focusing on my blessings gives me renewed energy and excitement for the day.
4. Breathe & Spend a Few Moments in Quiet.
You need margin. Every single day. Take time to be still and quiet… don’t just wake up and rush right into your long to do list without so much as taking a breath!
5. Read a Chapter From a Good Book.
I love to read a short chapter or two from a good book every morning. Not only does this help me guarantee that I fit in a little reading every day, but it gives me some inspiring thoughts to consider as I go about my morning.
Even if you only have time to do some stretches, sit-ups, and jumping jacks, do something every day to get your heart pumping. If possible spend 10-30 minutes exercising each morning. I promise you’ll feel better!
7. Shower & Get Dressed For The Day You Want To Have.
I’m not sure where I first heard of the concept of dressing for the day you want to have, but I love it — and it’s something I need to work on implementing more.
8. Make a Plan.
Write down at least three to five things you plan to accomplish today. Even if you don’t get them all done, the very act of writing down your plan will give you more momentum for your day.
9. Turn On Some Music.
Good music always improves my mood and energy for the day.
Do yourself a favor and start your day off by hydrating… and then keep hydrating throughout the day. You’ll feel so much better!
11. Eat a Healthy Breakfast.
Don’t skip breakfast! Even if you just eat some yogurt and fruit, get something healthful in your stomach soon after you wake up.
Need I say more? A smile is one of the best gifts you can give others — and yourself!
13. Do Something For Someone Else.
Speaking of giving, beginning your day with outstretched arms is a surefire way to kickstart a great day.
Need to boost your spirits? Try singing. It never fails to lift one’s mood.
15. Tackle the Hardest Thing First.
Instead of spending all day avoiding those one or two things that you dread the most, just get ’em done first thing so you can enjoy the rest of your day.
Bonus idea: Expect the Unexpected
Always expect interruptions and delays in your day. This is not being negative; this is being realistic. Then, if they don’t happen as often as you thought they would, you’ve been given the gift of more time and less frustration!
Bonus idea: Give Yourself Grace
Your day won’t go exactly as planned. You will make mistakes. Don’t beat yourself up or wallow in guilt. Heap on the grace and remember that tomorrow is a new day!
Related: Check out Ann Voskamp’s amazing Sanity Manifesto.
What do you do each morning to set yourself up for success?
Want some practical help with setting up your day for success? Be sure to grab a copy of my brand-new online course, Make Over Your Mornings.
This 14-day online course includes videos, a workbook, and step-by-step projects and is designed to help you revolutionize your productivity, streamline your routines, invest your time in things that truly matter, and find more joy and peace in the process.
If you’ve ever wished that you could figure out how to get more done, have more organization in your life, and find time to spend on things you love, the Make Over Your Mornings Course is for you. Find out more about it here.
Other posts in the Early to Rise Challenge series
- The 30-Day Early to Rise Challenge Begins on Friday (grab your ebook for just $4.99!)
- Early to Rise Challenge: Day 1 (Your Mindset Matters)
- Early to Rise Challenge: Wake Up With a Plan for Your Day
- Early to Rise Challenge: It's Not Always Easy (and am I the only one who thinks drinking coffee black is crazy??)
- 15 Things You Can Do Each Morning to Make Your Day More Successful
- Early to Rise Challenge: Adjust Your Attitude
- 11 Things to Do Tonight to Set You Up for Success Tomorrow
- Early to Rise Challenge: Change Your Life By Taking One Small Step at a Time
- Early to Rise Challenge: Find the Artist in You
- Early to Rise Challenge: "It's Your World, So Change It"
- Early to Rise Challenge: Swim Upstream
- Early to Rise Challenge: Focus on Other People
- 5 Steps to Start Your Day With a Better Attitude
- Early to Rise Challenge: Find What Motivates You
- Early to Rise Challenge: The Halfway Mark!
- Early to Rise Challenge: Choose Who You Will Be Today
- Free printable: 17 Ways to Set Your Morning Up for Success
- Early to Rise Challenge: Don't Live Today on Accident
- Early to Rise Challenge: Be Quiet
- Early to Rise Challenge: Face Your Day With a Smile
- Early to Rise Challenge: Find an Accountability Partner
- Early to Rise: Share Your Success (and why I have a new crazy-early wake-up time!)
- 11 Things You Can Do Tonight to Set You Up for Success Tomorrow (free printable)
- Early to Rise Challenge: You're Not Alone
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Sanity with a Newborn
- Early to Rise Challenge: Begin Your Day With Prayer
- Early to Rise Challenge: Don't Settle for Average!
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!