Spaghetti Pie

Spaghetti Pie

Guest post from Brigette Shevy

This has been one of my Mom’s go-to recipes for as long as I can remember (so long that none of us can remember where the original recipe came from). It still is! Any time we visit my parents for more than a few days, Spaghetti Pie will most likely be on the menu at some point. It’s another one of my Mom’s crowd-pleasing recipes that can be made up ahead of time and frozen – perfect for company!

Although Spaghetti Pie is similar to lasagna in taste, it’s cheaper to make and quicker to assemble! You can always substitute your favorite homemade or jarred spaghetti sauce if you are in a rush. My Mom usually serves this with a tossed salad, a fruit salad, and fresh homemade bread (Dill Bread is especially yummy with this!).

spaghetti pia

spaghetti pie

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy and another on the way. She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

Comments

1. Cheryl says

It was so neat to see this post, I have this on the menu for tonight and it is a great tasty inexpensive dinner. I like to buy the jarred sauce with italian sausage (prego) and that saves on the cost because you don’t have to buy the meat. I usually make it with the bread sticks recipe from Money Saving Mom too.

2. Sonja says

Hi! Looks yummy! Knowing me and my cutting skills, I would botch the serving of this for company. How do you “neatly” serve it? :)

• Brigette says

It works best if you let it sit 5-10 minutes before cutting it. I use a pie server, and haven’t had any problems getting it out neatly (and I don’t have the greatest cutting skills either ;)).

3. Sonja says

P.S. Also curious as to what type of fruit salad you would serve with this…my mind goes blank! :) Thanks for all the awesome ideas!

• Brigette says

Spaghetti squash is a great idea! Although I haven’t actually tried it in this recipe, I LOVE spaghetti squash, and I am pretty confident it would work fabulously. :)

4. Diane says

This was one of my kids’ favorite meals when they were young. It’s quick and fun to make, too!

5. Kelly says

Is it better to freeze this before or after cooking? Would the cooking instructions need to be altered when reheating it from frozen?

Thanks for sharing!! Looks delish!

• Brigette says

I’ve only frozen it before cooking, so I am not sure about freezing it after. I let it thaw and then cook it the same as written. If you start baking it before it is completely thawed, then you would need to add more cooking time. Hope this helps!

• K says

I freeze spaghetti pie after cooking it all the time. I usually make two 9×13″ pans at a time & freeze a covered pan or individual servings I reheat individual servings either frozen or thawed. I’ve also frozen just the meat % sauce to speed making it the next time.

We love to eat a similar spaghetti pie recipes (ricotta, jarred sauce, sausage mixed with ground beef are the major differences). One of the best things I think is that you can whip up a bunch of them (as many as you have pie plates!) and FREEZE them. :) (They freeze really well, but do take a long time to thaw). I actually used to freeze in rectangular casserole dishes as well. This recipe is on my “to try” list now that our house is gluten-free, but I’m sure the gf pasta will work just as well.

7. Heidi says

My family loves this! When I make it, I do a triple batch and have one that night and stick two right in the freezer. Love pulling it out later!

8. Jessica says

…”and another on the way…” Congrats! I wondered if all those diapers might have been for a reason ;)

9. Amie says

Has anyone tried making this minus the egg, and if so, how did it turn out? We have egg allergies at our house, we don’t put them in lasagna either.

• KaryanStratton says

My husband and I make baked spaghetti. It’s similar, we would just make it with leftover sauce and noodles, no eggs. You mixed the sauce and noodles, meat is optional. Top with cheese and bake.

10. Awmeme says

I know it would add to the cost but could ricotta be used in place of the cottage cheese? My dh doesn’t like cottage cheese but I would like to try this recipe.

11. Beth says

I have used this recipe since I was married almost 30 years ago, and I still have it on the original card it came on. It was in one of those sets they send you in the mail hoping you will pay for the rest of the sets they will mail every month. I just kept the free cards and have used it ever since. There was no company name on the card I have, so I don’t know that information.