Homemade Lavender Bath Salts

HomemadeLavenderBathSalts

This recipe for Homemade Lavender Bath Salts has been on my list of do-it-yourself ideas I want to try for a few months. After making them yesterday, I can’t believe I waited this long to try it.

Homemade Lavender Bath Salts
This recipe is SO easy and fun to make and you could try using different essential oils and food coloring colors to change things up.

Comments

1. Sara says

I would LOVE to try this since relaxing in a warm bath with salts is my favorite way to unwind. I’m a bit of a novice to oils, but I’ve read varying things about lavender…mostly that it can cause early puberty in girls. Since we share a bathroom with the kids, do any of the oil experts out there know if I’d need to worry about cleaning the tub every time after I use something with lavender oil so my 5 year old daughter isn’t exposed to it?

• ann says

I’ve read that lavender CAN disrupt your hormonal balance. I used to use lavender as a muscle relaxer/rub, but quickly developed ovarian cysts. I’d use caution using it at all, much less with a young child.

• Jennifer Diliberto says

Hi Carla, I’m a cosmetic chemist and baby oil is just mineral oil so it really won’t be beneficial in the small amounts used. Plus if you use too much, you would see oil droplets in your bathwater–like salad dressing. HTH

2. Jenna says

I just bought Epsom salts tonight to mix with lavender essential oil. I was getting ready to research a recipe-perfect timing! Thank you!

• rebekah says

lorrann oils are nice , they are food grade and are a pure oil, much less expensive then some of the multi level marketing sold oils like doterra and young living oils… and you can also get bulk bags of Epson salts at farm stores. cost about 1/4 of the price buying in bulk. example 50 lbs of salts cost $13 & 1oz of oils runs about $6 . needless to say thats a lot of baths worth and some to share ! good luck ;-)

3. margaret says

Quick question…I love lavender and the idea of making something (even as gifts). I was just wondering is this really cost effective since essential oils can be expensive. Even if you made several “recipes” from the little bottle, would it not be cheaper to get this at a place like Dollar Tree?

I’m not sure how many drops are in a bottle, but it should be a LOT since it only requires a few drops per recipe. I’m also guessing that the dollar store bath salts have a lot of chemicals in them (have never looked at the ingredients, so I could be wrong).

That said, I think you’re wise to consider your time and effort and whether doing something like this is worth it for the savings — especially if trying something like this doesn’t look fun to you (like it did to me!).

• margaret says

it does look like fun actually–used to do all this before kids came around. Just curious, because I used to try all sorts of things like this and often found them to be worth it for entertainment value for me but not for actual product value.

4. Jessica Ledford says

Is this fairly moisturizing since it has the oil? I currently use Calgon lavender bath salts but at $4 a jar, I’d love to save some money there!

5. Lisa says

To “pretty it up” a bit (ie, for gift giving), I will mix in a few tablespoons of dried lavender flowers to this recipe and put the whole mix into a bath sachet. Fun, homemade, frugal gift!

6. Lisa D says

Made these bath salts today!! Turned out great! I don’t know if I can wait the couple days to use them! Thanks for posting!!

7. Jennifer says

I made a similar version as thank you gifts for the hosts of my bridal shower. I used peppermint oil instead of lavender and colored them mint (since my theme was “mint to be”) and put them in pretty glass bottles with corks I got at Michaels for $1. I filled up gift bags with the bath salts and other shower/spa related items and wrote on the gift tags “from my shower to yours”. I also made a homemade sugar scrub using 2in1 shampoo/conditioner and salt. Super easy!