Should you make it or buy it?

Make It or Buy It?

I love this post from Anne at Modern Mrs. Darcy:

I don’t like to make gifts just for the sake of making them. I want them to be worth my time and trouble. But it’s hard for me to tell in advance which projects are going to be worthwhile, and which ones are going to give me headaches. Because if a handmade project is going to give me a headache, well–I’d rather just buy it.

With that in mind, I’ve created this handy flowchart that helps me decide whether a handmade project is likely to be worth it–or not.

Read the whole post and download the printable flowchart at Modern Mrs. Darcy.

Comments

Im glad Im not the only one who feels handmade isn’t *always* the best :) Sometimes supplies cost more, the time invested is too much, or it’s just plain easier to buy it!

2. Kim M says

I think I’m going to print this out. Its going to be a really tight Christmas and I was going to attempt to handmake a lot of things for my 2 kids- from doll clothes to aprons to pjs- except that I’ve never done it… and apparently my sewing machine has a conspiracy out against me, and I’ve just about given up from frustration! So maybe I’ll try again.. and trim down my t0-do list. :-) I may end up buying after -all, but there’s always craigslist! Just because you have/want to buy, doesnt mean you have to go broke doing so!

• Anna says

I have made several of those and it is one of my first successful sewing projects. Thanks for posting your pattern and idea! So easy to follow!

I love to make homemade gifts! And until recently, we didn’t have a big box store withing 25 miles of our home. This means either planning on my part to shop for a gift or planning on my part to make a gift. For as long as I can remember, I have been making aprons for the new brides at our church. I love finding just the right material for each bride and finding a pattern to fit her personality.

• Luba says

What a wonderful and unique present for a bride. Some ladies made wedding/shower gifts for me, and they are very special to me!

I love handmade gifts, but I definitely agree that they are not always worth the time and effort. Gift gifting is not suppose to be stressful. :)

5. celina says

awesome!!! my hubby always ask when I am purchasing supplies..i thought you were making it to save money…oops…

I didnt’ think a silly (sorry) flow chart would help..but darn it…IT ASKED ALL THE RIGHT QUESTIONS… it was bang on…THANKS…

Thanks for sharing! This totally made me smile. I make the a lot of gifts for family and friends. I do it because I enjoy being creative and crafty, it’s cheaper (not including the time, of course), and it’s more heartfelt. For me it means so much more to really put my heart into the gift (I find myself thinking about the recipient the whole time I am crafting their gift), rather than just spending a couple minutes choosing a gift to buy. I also love to receive handmade gifts because I know the time and thought that goes into them.