Cinnamon Maple “Cereal Crumb” Muffins

cinnamon maple cereal crumb muffins

Guest post from Carissa of Pretty/Hungry

I recently came to a point where the budgeter in me just couldn’t bear to throw away any more cereal crumbs! Week after week, I’d find myself at the bottom of another box of cereal with a good two inches of dust left over, and it bothered me to just toss all that in the garbage can.

Now I realize that in the grand scheme of things, throwing away a few cereal crumbs is FAR from earth-shattering. But I just knew there must be some way to make good use of all that crunchy whole-grain goodness rather than just tossing it.

So I started saving our cereal remnants in a ziptop bag and trying to think of ways to use them. Turns out, they are good for a whole lot!

IMG_0351

Some of our favorite uses for “cereal dust” are:

• Mixing into our morning oatmeal for a little added crunch
  • Substituting it for oats and other grains in homemade granola bars
  • And my new favorite use for it… as a healthy add-in for homemade muffins!

This week I added a cup or so of “cereal dust” to a basic muffin recipe, along with a swirl of cinnamon maple syrup, and the result was one very cozy, super-moist, and delicious muffin!

And not only were these muffins irresistibly tasty, but the aroma of them baking filled our home on this blustery Fall day… it was lovely!

IMG_0359 - Copy

Do you have any other creative ways to use up leftover cereal crumbs?

Carissa is a wife and mother of a sweet 1-year old girl. She loves the Lord, her family, and cooking! In recent years her family has made drastic cuts to their budget in order to start saving to build a home. Carissa blogs at Pretty/Hungry about all her kitchen creations!

Comments

1. shannon says

Carissa, you are inspiring! Of course, in the grand scheme of things it is very little. But all those little things add up don’t they? I just realized this week I should be saving those cruddy ends on my bread to make homemade stuffing next week with our turkey. It will probably save me $1.50 or so but, it tastes good and makes me feel good. You go girl!

• Marie says

Shannon,
      you can also use the ends of breads for coutons. another way I use mine is I save them in the freezer and when I make my French toast bake (which calls for French bread) I use my ends instead and by saving them I’ve been able to make at least 4 French toast bakes in the last several months and no one notices that it’s not French bread.

2. Matti says

I love to keep these around for making “graham cracker” crusts for pies, cheesecakes, bars, etc. Healthier than regular graham crackers too!

• Diana says

Wow another great idea! We are GF in this house and I was trying to think of another option for a cheese cake crust. We eat a LOT of Chex..will have to save the crumbs!

3. Rosemary Lare says

I use crunchy cereal crumbs when I make the topping for apple crisp or anything else that you might use nuts with.

4. Gail says

Last Christmas I was making candy using melted chocolate bark, and decided to mix some of my saved up leftover pieces and bits of cereal into some melted chocolate bark for crunchy candy. Everything tastes better with chocolate! Less expensive than chopped nuts, and tasty!

• Susan says

Oh yes! Melted candy bark with corn flakes is a family favorite. I like to add crushed peppermint candy around the holidays, but it’s good without that too. Just mix it up, drop it by the spoonful onto wax paper, and let it cool. Yummy!

5. Sarah says

I can’t believe I have never thought to save those cereal crumbs! I try to save every scrap of everything else and this had just never occurred to me. I’ll be saving them from now on…we go through a ton of cereal. :)

6. Amy Peca says

I like to use ours up with yogurt! Makes that morning yogurt and fruit a little fancier, parfait style!

7. Diana says

Ha ha, I actually have a friend who LOVES the bottom of the bag and is so happy her husband leaves the crumbs for her. I had never heard of anyone actually liking the crumbs. Love these ideas!

8. ajax says

My grandpa always says, “The last bite costs as much as the first!” Cereal can be expensive, it’s awesome that you found a way to use those “last bites”.

9. Cate says

Muffins are a good idea. I incorporate any left-over cereal we have (mostly shredded wheat) into my oatmeal cookies. I call them dump cookies. I dump in left-over cereal, dried cranberries and nuts. Makes deliciously healthy cookies!!