Make It From Scratch Week: Primal Fudge + Freezer Cooking in an Hour (Day 1)

I’m a little late in getting this posted, because I sort of got ambitious tonight and got my freezer cooking and my Make It From Scratch project done at the same time — and dinner on the table, to boot!

I made up two different batches of burritos using the homemade refried beans I made on Saturday. Having burritos on hand in the freezer is such a great thing. They work well for lunches, dinners, on-the-run meals, and late night snacks.

Next, I tried the To Die For Blueberry Muffin recipe. We opted to put blueberries in half the batter and chocolate chips in the other half. The end result was a little on the dry side. I don’t think I cooked them too long, but I do think they could have used a bit more liquid.

And finally, my Make It From Scratch project I decided upon was the Primal Fudge. I was extremely happy with how it turned out.

But I have a little confession to me: I didn’t follow the recipe 100%. I promise I totally meant to, but I discovered halfway through that I didn’t have enough cocoa. So I used chocolate chips instead. I know that defeated the whole purpose of it being primal, but man, it turned out yummy. :)

Recipes Made:

Bean & Cheese Burritos
Southwest Rollups
To Die For Blueberry Muffins
Primal Fudge

Are you participating in the Make It From Scratch Week? If so, link up your blog post about today’s Make It From Scratch Project. Don’t have a blog? Tell us about what you made in the comments.

Comments

1. Michelle says

You amaze me every day! I just wanted to share that my husband is on a paleo diet, and although I am not, I’ve learned a lot! (I do all of his cooking

We have loved your bean and cheese burritos, but I have been slacking with freezer cooking so it’s been a couple of months! I’ll have to try the homemade refried beans recipe to save on the cost of the beans. It sure looks easy!

Your fudge looks really good. Wow you were able to get quite a bit done today. Way to go. I really need to do some freezer cooking. My husband is missing having burritos ready in the freezer.

4. Jessi says

I made those blueberry muffins last week after seeing the link on your blog…they were soooooo good!!!!! I had to make another batch because the first one didn’t even make it to the freezer….I didn’t have any problem with it coming out dry but I didn’t make the suggested topping…and I used olive oil instead of veg. oil..they were very moist :-)

• September says

One thought on the muffins…in the directions I think it lists 1/3 each of the oil and milk, but if you read the instructions you take a one cup measuring cup, put the egg in, then the oil and then add milk to make a full cup. Not sure if that’s how you measured it, but I usually end up with almost 1/2 cup of milk when I make mine (I also often use buttermilk if I have it–adds a little extra flavor).

5. Billene says

The Blueberry Muffin recipe sounds so delish, one would think with amount of oil and milk the recipe requires they would not be dry.

6. Diane says

I don’t know if you still order from Azure but their cocoa powder is very good and from farms that never use child labor. Also less expensive than the generic we can get at our grocery store.

These look really yummy. Is there a good substitute for the coconut oil for those of us who are allergic? Butter?

7. Christine says

I made the Primal Fudge last night after tucking the kids in – could not resist. I used maple syrup. At first I thought they were not sweet enough, but today they were delicious. I made them in cupcake liners – cute as well as yummy!