Clutter-Busting Challenge Day #18: 9 more things to add to the donation/trash bag {and help me out! Where else should I look?}

Every week day in May, I’m challenging my readers to try to find at least 7 things to get rid of. These can be big or small things, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that you actually throw them out, sell them, donate them, recycle them, or find someone else who can use them. Think you’re up for the challenge?

I had a lot of trouble coming up with things to toss today. In fact, I went back over a few rooms that I’d already gone through and found almost nothing to toss. I guess that’s a good thing!

But I’m soliciting your help. What other great ideas do you have for places I should look for things to get rid of? I know I’m missing some spots so send any and all ideas my way. I realized tonight that I still need to go through the DVDs & CDs, sock basket, and a little bit of the garage. But after that, I’m rather stumped.

What places could I be overlooking? I’m positive there’s more stuff to toss lurking here, I’m just not readily thinking where to look — and I’ve got quite a few more days left in this challenge. :)

How did your clutter-busting go today? Link up your blog post and/or Instagram pictures below. Or, leave a comment telling us how many things you got rid of. Let’s clear our homes of clutter so we can be more productive and efficient!

Comments

1. FMRFMR says

I don’t think I will ever need help finding clutter! I am planning on extending this challenge for myself for at least another month. I might not do 7 items every day, but I know I can get rid of something every day. Thanks for the motivation.

I am starting to look at “things” in my house from a different perspective. Do I want it for its emotional connection? Do I find the item useful? Do I like the item? Can someone else make better use of it? Do I really need to save this item? Those questions will determine it it stays, or goes.

Today I was able to eliminate some items of winter clothing that I did not use even one time last winter. Some don’t fit my body, some no longer fit my lifestyle, some I just don’t like.

2. Melissa says

Paper storage is a place I can usually go to and find out dated papers that can go. I found a few manuals that were to things that I’ve donated earlier in the month. No need to keep those! My purse also has a way of collecting random junk so I try to clean it out at least once a month.

3. cheranne says

today I got rid of a broken umbrella (we found out too late that it was broken :(… ,
    I cleaned off my fridge lots of papers, papers, papers! I passed on some coupons that i did not use, tossed an old toothbrush, an old candle, and some flyers. I found one pair of shoes for the donation bag too…
    I also packaged up and shipped 2 gifts that were sitting in my dining room for a week too long.

as for ideas on what else to purge…check all the pockets of all your coats. I am always amazed at the junk I find in them sometimes…. the same goes for purses that you have stored…maybe there are some bits in those too :)

4. sheri4L says

Haven’t read everything that you have been cleaning out but I think people over look the medicine cabinet and Makeup drawer. So thats where I wold look.

Why not de-clutter your computer? I’m sure there are files or pictures in there. They aren’t items that you actually throw away but it does need to be done periodically. (Unless you’re way more organized than I am anyway!).

6. Heather says

I have to go through these still on my list: Holiday decor, purses/backpacks/handbags (them or the contents inside). My wallet, my husband’s duty bag, my magazine baskets (we have 2…not sure why??) My recipe binders (some I have never used…not sure I ever will). We have way too many coffee cups, plastic containers withOUT matching lids. Ugh.

7. Courtney says

I don’t know if you are only counting physical items, but a computer is a great place to look. How many unused /unwanted /unneeded files are hanging around on your hard drive? I know I found a few old resumes, duplicate files, and old programs to get rid of.

8. Lisa says

Have you gone through the nightstands?
    The junk drawer?
    Computer desk drawers?
    Linen closet?
    Boxes and totes under the bed?

Have you looked in your car? The glove box and trunk are places in my car that contain quite a bit of clutter. Matter of fact. On my way there now to see what stuff I can rid it of.

10. Emi says

Your garden – bulbs that you can separate and give to someone else, garden tools, plastic pots, etc.

11. Beka says

I just went through CD’s and DVD’s and got rid of quite a few. Also, “Free the Girls” was collecting bras to be sent to Africa to help women who have escaped sex trafficking, so rooting through your undergarments drawer might help. What about cleaning supplies? What about homeschool supplies you no longer need? Toys?

12. Angie says

Try your underwear and sock drawers! I always seem to have old ones that need to be tossed!