Clutter-Busting Challenge Day #1: We got rid of 32 things!

Every week day in May, I’m challenging my readers to try to find at least 7 things to get rid of. These can be big or small things, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that you actually throw them out, sell them, donate them, recycle them, or find someone else who can use them. Think you’re up for the challenge?

So, I challenged my girls to see how many things they could find to get rid of today. I told them I’d pay them $0.25 for everything they got rid of.

They were highly motivated and went through their room, the toy closet, and the craft shelves and came up with this big box of items! We counted and there were 32 items in all! It’s amazing how a little incentive works so well! :)

How did your clutter-busting go today? Link up your blog post and/or Instagram pictures below. Or, leave a comment telling us how many things you got rid of. Let’s clear our homes of clutter so we can be more productive and efficient!

Comments

I am already loving this challenge! Thanks, Crystal! And I love seeing everyone else’s progress, too. We only had about 5 minutes to look for items today (we were pushing dinner hour and I was behind already), but we found 16 or 17 items. Woo! Feels great. I can’t wait to see what a difference this challenge makes by month’s end. :)

oh yayyy! I am joining! My local salvation army even does free pickups, but usually only for a decent sized lot of stuff, and I have already started a pile!

3. DeeDee says

I got a bag of a dozen or so items from my health and beauty box (aka, random half used stuff I will never again really use) and even got rid of two old cosmetic bags.

4. Hannah says

I did it!!
    4 books
    2 old t-shirts recycled into toilet cleaning rags to throw away after one use (which I learned from another reader on this site)
    1 pile of unused linens (contained 3 individual articles)

So excited to see how my house looks by the end of the month! Thank you so much for hosting this challenge, Crystal!

5. April M. says

I love this challenge. Today:

Donated to an animal shelter tag sale:
    Trunk organizer
    binder
    CD visor holder
    another CD visor holder
    stuffed bunny
    maze ball toy
    table hockey game

Gave to a friend:
    Coupons

I tried to do it fast… went to my closet… thought I would whip out 7 things fast…. I was too attached… ended up with a couple of pieces of clothing… and some gift bags…. I will be better tomorrow!!

7. Amber says

I did most of it, but my kids helped a little bit too. We are getting ready for a garage sale the third weekend of this month so we did the kid’s rooms today. We came up with a large tote full of stuff to sell. We also had about 7 small bags of trash to throw away. I feel so much better after just doing their rooms!

8. Marilyn Ueno says

Don’t have a blog, but I do have a list of what I got rid of today:
    1. One bottle of body lotion
    2. One valentine game
    3. One sheet
    4. Magazines
    5. Fabric scraps
    6. Car floor mats
    7. Family room couch

9. Sarah says

OK I only had a few minutes today, but I found 7 things: 2 pairs of old jeans, 2 old t-shirts, 2 hats, and a purse. It’s a start!

10. Jana says

With several birthday parties and weddings coming up, I dug into my wrapping paper bin to prepare gifts. I remembered this month’s clutter challenge. So I took everything out of the bin, threw away crumpled/torn wrap and bags, donated holiday specific wrap I don’t need, and reorganized what remained. I’m not sure how many things I got rid of (it was quite a few!), but it is now so much easier to find what I need!!

• Amber says

What a good idea, Jana! My giftwrap area is such a mess and I never think to go through it. :)

11. Patty says

7 books that my daughter has long since outgrown. Bagged up and in the car to go a co-worker who has a toddler.

Started a box for Goodwill: 4 canning jars with rings; an old tea set that I don’t like and never use.

First thing this morning my husband pulled an old, bent frying pan out from the stove drawer, waved it at me and told me it looked like I needed to throw a few things away. I had to laugh at him as I told him I was doing this challenge. Got rid of the frying pan and many other things from the stove drawer and the cupboard above the stove. Love to see a bit more room in my cupboard!

13. Ginger says

My seven items for today, which I took a picture of and posted on my Facebook. One friend said she wanted to/needed to join in after she saw my post.

1. Broken glass toilet paper holder.
    2. Pair of too-small flip-flops.
    3. Decorative wooden ball thing.
    4. Glass jar that once held some stuff grape leaves.
    5. Purple hair shampoo to counter brassy blonde colored hair — at least 12 years old!
    6. Bottle of iodine that had leaked all over my bathroom cabinet. :(
    7. Old PUR water filtration jug that I no longer use.

14. Michelle King says

I have a small pile of clothes (15 items) that are now posted for sale…if there are no bites within 4 weeks, they get donated :)

15. Linda says

I cleaned out my master bedroom and got rid of 10+ items. An old bathrobe, computer bag, toy, purse, coat, some shirts, and a couple of knick-knacks to donate, and a shoebox, catalog, and various paper items to recycle. Also, I dusted, vacuumed, and straightened while I went. Day 1, check!

I’m a little late to get started on the challenge tonight, but I sold one thing out of our shed earlier this evening (its ‘been there for 3 years unused) and I just quickly gathered up 8 things in just a few minutes!

17. Melodee Brymer says

Well I did get rid of things, but not the way I intended. Seems I’ve had a small leak under my kitchen sink for some time and didn’t know it. Never opened the door to that side until last night. There was a pan under there full of yucky water that was overflowing, so the bottom of my cabinet was soaked and everything was gross.

Today I cleaned it out and threw stuff away that I never used (obviously since I never looked in that side). Got a fan blowing on it to dry it out and I’ll add some type of mat and maybe store some of my bigger pots there after my husband fixes the sink. I’ve made some natural cleaning supplies that are in a couple of spray bottles, so they don’t take up much room. The bulk supplies are in my pantry/storage room.

Cleaned out my spice cabinet last night. Got rid of old stuff that was clumped together. Forgot to keep a tally but I know that both times it was well over 7 items.

Tomorrow, the cabinet with all the plastic bowls and lids. If neither have a mate, out they go. This has actually been fun seeing other peoples posts to help motivate me. Thanks.

18. Laura says

My husband’s business cards from his former employer (they fired him unceremoniously 9 months ago and it felt GREAT to toss those into the recycling bin!)
    A broken flashlight
    An old comforter with a giant hole in it
    A bag of shirts/socks/etc with holes in them
    A very ratty old pair of sneakers
    A water bottle shaped like a baseball
    Best of all- a lamp that sparked out and nearly caught my bed on fire; we cut the cord off and then it stood in our garage for months until today when I hauled it to a dumpster!
    Thanks for the motivation!!!!! This is going to be great!

19. Cecee says

Hi! I’ve been reading this site for months, but this is my first comment & challenge. I am going to be out of my home for 5 days of the month so I will try to make up for it by cleaning out and getting rid of things on the weekends.

Today I cleaned out my side tables and coffee table drawers and tossed:
    1. Various pieces of old paper Trash (receipts, notes, old grocery lists, etc)
    2. Dog toys that were torn and ripped and put in the drawers for no apparent reason.
    3. Staples that would only fit in a miniature stapler that I broke several months ago
    4. A plastic container with a hole in it
    5. Old study material (from when I was hired at my new job a year ago)
    6. Dead batteries
    7. 2 miniature bottles of lotion with hardly anything left in them.

What amazed me is that we threw these things in drawers because we were too lazy to get up and walk to the trash can. Shame shame shame

I finally got rid of the accessories from the two blenders that broke a few months ago. Feels nice to reclaim that cupboard space again!

I know this is only the second day but so far I’m really enjoying this challenge.
    Getting rid of seven things a day was harder than I expected for the first day. It’s not that I don’t have stuff to get rid of, it’s my mentality–“maybe I’ll need it someday.”
    At the same time, once I’d filled a bag with seven things and got rid of it–a few donations, the rest in the trash, I felt a big sense of accomplishment, like I was clearing my way to a more organized, efficient life. I should also note that while I was gathering my seven pieces of clutter for day two, I realized I need to be much more careful about what I bring into my house and thus my life. I was expecting this challenge to be just about cleaning house but it’s already given me perspective.
    Thanks for launching this Crystal.

I’m purged 6 VHS tape (I never did get those abs of steel…) and 1 book. I will be donating all my items at the end of the month to the local Battered Women’s Shelter Thrift Store. They will give me a tax receipt and I will use it for a tax deduction next year!

I purged 6 VHS tape (I never did get those abs of steel…) and 1 book. I will be donating all my items at the end of the month to the local Battered Women’s Shelter Thrift Store. They will give me a tax receipt and I will use it for a tax deduction next year!

I finally pulled out 2 big boxes of “yard sale items” to donate to a friend who is raising money for an adoption. I’m sure there were many more than 7 items! Now I’m scouring the house for more to give to her for the sale.

25. Shannon says

Thanks for this motivation! I insist that I don’t need ‘things’, yet my house is ridiculously cluttered! We just did a yard sale last week, so I wasn’t sure how much I would find, but I found 7 things pretty quickly. Today, instead of 7 things, I worked in my office for 7 minutes (and then some!) If you count all the papers I recycled, I’m way over 7, so that’s a good thing. I may try doing the quarter thing with my kids this weekend to get rid of items! Thanks for the idea!

26. Tricia says

This challenge is perfect!!! I threw all the old magazines in the recycling box yesterday…way more than 7. Today I cleaned out my pj drawer…9 items. Both days I have cleaned out things I have been thinking about doing for months. It probably would have been a few more months until I got to them, if not for this challenge. THANK YOU!!!!

That’s awesome! I’ll have to try that with my son. :) It will have to wait until next week, though. I have a a HUGE biology final exam coming up and I have to do some major studying, therefore I will have to jump into the challenge next week…

28. Allison says

I just recycled some old papers, receipts and a magazine :) If each piece counts, there were definitely more than 7.

It was easy as pie to get rid of seven more things! In fact, I was so eager to get rid of them, I didn’t even get a picture… :-)

30. Elaine says

I’m enjoying this very much! Where is the paragraph about modeling your wardrobe after your maternity one? Thank you so much.