Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

I’ve made a lot of chocolate chip cookies over the years.

I remember being 9 or 10 and feeling so excited the first time I made them all by myself. I quickly discovered that if you know how to bake a good cookie, you will always have friends!

When we lived overseas for two years, I was able to build many relationships with the local children as a result of chocolate chip cookies — after introducing them to this American staple, they were quickly hooked, so they obviously had to keep coming back to my house since it was the only way to get more!

This recipe is one of my all-time favorite cookie recipes. I’ve adapted it slightly from a recipe from one of my all-time best girlfriends (Thanks, Elsie!). It’s traveled the world with me, and has consistently turned out in many different ovens.

These buttery gems are crispy on the edges and soft and gooey in the center. Not too puffy, and not too flat. Perfect.

It’s a pretty basic recipe with a couple of interesting additions. I don’t recommend making any substitutions or leaving anything out!

These cookies are so delicious. If you’re on the lookout for a better chocolate chip cookie recipe, you must give this one a try!

What are your favorite cookies?

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 6, 4, and 2). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

Comments

1. Kristina says

Is there something I could substitute for the lemon juice? I have grapefruit juice and orange juice. I should probably just wait until I buy a lemon?

• Kristina says

I’m impatient, so I went ahead and used orange juice. I can’t taste it in there. I wonder if you can taste the lemon juice?

Great cookie! It’s not overly sweet tasting like the recipes I usually use. I got 46 cookies using my medium cookie scoop.

Thanks for the great recipe. I will try it with lemon juice soon. :)

• Brigette says

You can’t taste the lemon juice – it’s a texture thing (makes for a chewier cookie). I’m guessing orange juice wouldn’t work quite the same, but hey – as long as you liked it, great! :)

Our favorite is America’s Test Kitchen’s Chocolate Chip Cookies. You actually brown the butter in a pan, so you don’t have to remember to set your butter out to get it to room temp. They’re delicious, and they even recommend freezing them in balls for last-minute cookie cravings.

• Lana says

I would just sub whole wheat flour for the oats. Leaving it out all together would make the batter too wet.

3. DeDe in OK says

My fav is oatmeal with raisins and walnuts. Pioneer Woman has a recipe for Oatmeal Crispies that is a close second.

4. Tammy says

I’ve been looking for a good recipe that uses part whole grains. Can’t wait to try these!

• Lana says

You can sub half whole wheat flour in chocolate chip cookies and you cannot even tell you did it. I find that they keep really well with the substitution too.

5. Susan in St. Louis says

Mmm! I’ve made many cc cookie recipes, but never yet felt as if I’ve found THE ONE. I’ll give yours a shot next time we’ve got a hankering. Thank you! :)

6. Angie D says

I feel I’ve spent years finding the perfect chocolate chip cookie and it’s not even this recipe! =) But you have yet to let me down, Brigette, so here’s to another excuse to bake! Thanks!

7. Heather says

My daughter and I just made these. They are super yummy! It’s impossible to eat just one;)

• Charlene says

Although I’m not Heather, I’ll answer your question. I can taste it, and I don’t think it helps the taste of the cookies. If you are in doubt, I’d leave it out. I wish I would have. Otherwise, they are great!

8. lyss says

Okay, so I’ve never seen lemon juice in a non-lemony cookie. What does the lemon juice do? I assume it doesn’t add a lemon flavor….or does it? Does it give a consistency to the texture? I’m really curious why the lemon???

• Brigette says

It deosn’t add a lemon flavor at all. It contributes to the texture, making for a chewier cookie (I’ve tried leaving it out, just to see… and it DOES make a difference).

9. Sandra says

I get rave reviews when I make Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin cookies because I add 1/2 tsp. ground cloves and I use the jumbo raisins. They bake up golden in color and your house smells fantastic, not to mention your tummy is happy!

• Sandra says

This is a quick and delicious tea bread which I think is perfect in Spring. If you like the flavor of lemons, this recipe has real lemon presence to it. I would imagine most people have all of these ingredients on-hand. It’s a nice addition for your Easter menu, and it was one of my mom’s favorites!

Lemon Tea Bread

1/2 cup butter, softened
      1 cup granulated sugar
      2 large eggs
      1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 cup milk
      2 tablespoons lemon rind, divided
      1 cup powdered sugar
      2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
      1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Beat softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.

Gradually add 1 cup granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating at low speed just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon rind. Spoon batter into greased and floured 8- x 4-inch loaf pan.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.

Stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth; spoon evenly over top of bread, letting excess drip down sides. Stir together remaining 1 tablespoon lemon rind and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; sprinkle on top of bread.

I have been baking chocolate chip cookies since I was 5 & this recipe looks amazing! I will have to try this the next time my kids and husband are begging for a sweet treat. I have never used lemon juice in my cookies before, so that might be a neat alternative. If you have any good recipes for snicker doodles I would love to see that!!

• Brigette says

There’s a yummy recipe for Angel Face cookies on the recipes page that you should enjoy – not exactly a snickerdoodle, but definitely some similarities. :)

I have never used lemon juice to make chocolate chip cookies! & I have been baking cookies since I was 5! I will have to try that when the kids or husband is begging for a sweet treat. The cookies in the photos above look really fluffy & light, just how I like them! Do you have any other cookie or sweet recipes?

12. Lana says

That is an interesting recipe. Chocolate chip are our favorites too. I have a recipe from the grandmother of my best friend from my school years. We graduated from high school almost 35 years ago. My friend’s mother always had them in the cookie jar in their kitchen.

13. Charlene says

These were pretty good. The recipe showed up on a rainy Friday… the first day of Spring Break… just the idea I needed to start off the baking. Although they were good, I almost didn’t put the cinnamon in. I like cinnamon–but not in things it’s not supposed to be in. I didn’t think it added to these cookies at all. If I make them again, I will omit the cinnamon and then I will like them even better. My daughter likes chocolate chip cookies, but not oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. These have oatmeal in, but not so much that she won’t eat them. They are a good compromise!

I went ahead and just made these. I had really high hopes after seeing the picture, but I am wondering what went wrong! My oven is a little hot (so I planned for that) but I had to add a little more flour to these because they weren’t the right consistency at first. Before I added flour I made one pan and they were flat and much darker than what yours look like in the picture (not burned at all but I am wondering if you used white whole wheat flour by chance?). I’ll give them another shot – they remind me of another great recipe I like that uses vinegar! I always love putting it in right after the baking soda :)

• Brigette says

Hmmm… I have NO idea why you would have needed more flour. I usually have to work to get all the flour stirred in (the dough is stiff, not sticky). I’m glad you were able to salvage it, but still… something seems off. I do use white whole wheat, but it shouldn’t make that much of a difference. I’m glad you are willing to give these another shot. :) Make sure your butter isn’t overly soft – and maybe even chill the dough. I’m not very good at troubleshooting via internet. :(

I decided to chill the rest after I added a bit more flour – we’ll try again soon. :) Love all your recipes, Brigette!

Are you at high altitude? That can make cookies come out flat and dark and disappointing. You have to increase the flour some, and reduce the flour some too…at least those are the two adjustments that work best for me (I’m at a little over 6000 feet).

• Brigette says

This is REALLY good to know. I have lived alot of different places – but never lived at a high altitude, so I have no experience with adjusting recipes for that. Thanks!

Good thought! I used to live at higher altitude but not anymore. 750 feet is where I’m at now :) Maybe I will have to try the recipe all over again when I am without any “helpers” in case my kids distracted me a bit yesterday, ha ha!

• Kristina says

Mine turned out unusually dark as well, but still yummy and not flat. Perfect, actually! :) My husband came home and ate one and then went back and took 3 more. They’ve been a huge hit. I will be making them regularly. Thanks again Brigette!

14. Charity says

My mouth is watering! Can’t wait to try this recipe! Of course I have to ask, do they (or the dough) freeze well? Thanks!

15. Jodi says

I just finished making these wonderful cookies. Who would have known to put lemon juice in cookie dough, but cooking/baking is a chemistry project, duh. Thanks so much for the recipe. My kids give it a two thumbs up!

Does Brigette have a blog? I keep seeing comments about how everyone loves her recipes. Would like to get a chance to look at them too!

• Tara says

Could I use all whole wheat flour? Trying to stay away from all-purpose. if i did use all ww would i need to add more liquid somewhere maybe?

• Brigette says

You can use all whole wheat. If you feel the batter is really dry, add a tablespoon or two of milk. Otherwise, it will work just fine.

17. Lauren says

These are hands down the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made! I made the dough last night and popped them in the oven this morning. I used mini chocolate chips in mine. I also used old fashioned oats but ground them up for a few seconds like she advised in the recipe. Amazing.

• Brigette says

Thanks for taking time to make them and leave a comment – so happy they turned out amazing for you. :)

18. bobbiejo says

My favorite US the toll house chocolate chip cookie recipe in the back. I totally agree with the connection between hospitality and a good cookie…..people are so blessed by a little plate of good cookies. I always wondered though, can I just freeze cookie dough as is? My recipe is similar to above minus lemon oats and cinnamon

• Brigette says

I shape the dough into balls and freeze on a cookie sheet. After they are frozen, I transfer the balls into a ziploc bag, and pull out however many I want to bake when I get the urge. :)

19. jen says

My friend just gave me a recipe similar to this only there is no wheat flour. it’s supposedly an imitation of the Double Tree Hotel ones that they put on your pillow. I just made them yesterday and they were really good.

20. boopsiee says

I am having major cookie problems! Any help would be greatly appreciated….I tried this recipe and it had a nice flavor but mine turned out flat. I am having a “flat cookie dilemma” Lately, I have tried making cookies and no matter what recipe I use, they are all flat. I can see them rising in the oven and I even take them out at their peak height and sadly I can watch them as they deflate before my eyes….I have other home responsibilities but I am becoming obsessed with overcoming this problem. I have tried cold butter, room temp butter, creaming for a short time, creaming for a long time, adding more flour, raising oven temperature and I don’t know what to do. How long do you cream for? Has anyone tried lowering/rising oven temp and has it helped. :( I am so sad(jokingly) that I can’t enjoy a nice fluffy cookie. I have been using fresh ground flour and maybe that is the problem….I don’t know.

• Brigette says

I’m sorry! :( Have you tried different cookie sheets? I know from personal experience that the exact same cookie dough baked at the same time and temp on different types of sheets can turn out VERY differently. Did your cookie recipes used to turn out fluffy in the same oven and on the same sheets? If you are using all whole wheat flour, a general rule is to lower the baking temp by 25 degrees. It sounds like you’ve tried some of the other things I would have thought to do. I really hope you can figure it out!

• boopsiee says

What type of cookie sheets do you use? I have tried 3 different types of cookie sheets and all have the same results. This has only been happening since moving into a new house about 6 months ago. I have always used the same cookie sheets but did use a much newer oven in our old house. The oven that I used was a half oven that was much closer to the heat source than a full oven. This current house doesn’t seem to retain heat very well so maybe the oven isn’t working properly. On my last batch of cookies, I actually increased the oven temp to 375 hoping that would work but they also fell. I feel like I am a pretty good cook and baker, so this problem is really driving me nuts!!! :)