Freezer-Friendly Bean & Cheese Burritos

After the amazing success I had with the Crockpot Refried Beans from my new favorite blog, Pennies and Pancakes, I decided to try her Bean & Cheese Burrito recipe, too.

Except, as you probably could have guessed, I had to tweak it. Because following a recipe like it’s written just gets boring, ya know? :)

Comments

1. Charity says

We love burritos! They’re so great to have in the freezer and you can make so many combinations with them that everyone is pleased. I put 30 of your “Southwest Rollups” in the freezer last week for us to use after the birth of our fifth baby (I’m due in about 2 weeks) and I made 2lbs of refried beans yesterday to use in more burritos that I plan to make up tomorrow for the freezer. I’m just a few meals short of having 100 meals in the freezer for after baby’s arrival and that doesn’t include the cookie dough I’ve frozen as well. I think I’m in nesting overdrive, and this post just makes me want to go make more things to freeze! My goal is to put up 150 freezer meals! :P

• Charity says

You’re kind Crystal, but honestly I had never done freezer cooking until I came across your site a few years ago and wow, what a difference that has made! So, you were my inspiration! Thank you! :)

• Heather says

WOW you are my inspiration! I have a baby coming in July…maybe if I start planning now I can have 3 months worth of freezer meals by then. Off to make a freezer meal pinterest board…

• Charity says

This site (MSM) has lots of freezer meal recipes, of course, and also check out onceamonthmom.com. I found several recipes there when I was making my lists. I made separate lists for breakfast, lunch, and supper, and then a snack list which is my last priority. I was determined to really plan out our meals and fill our freezer this time around and I’ve been very blessed to be feeling so energetic these last few weeks. It is such a huge help having those meals on hand after that little one arrives, especially since my children are all littles, my husband works long hours, and we have no family or friends nearby that lend a hand after births.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I pray all goes well for you! If I lived near you we’d have to team up and knock out some meals to get your freezer stash going ;) have fun planning!

• Blaire says

Charity, any way you could post or email me your freezer meal list, and where you found them? I am due in early July with #4, and need to get started on a plan to stock up. Only interested in the dinner recipes… :)

2. Kimber says

I recently discovered Pennies and Pancakes (through your links, I believe) and I LOVE that blog!! Just made her refried beans and tortillas this week, and I have several other recipes lined up to try. Thanks for introducing us to her! :)

• Heather says

Kimber, you took the words right out of my mouth! I was going to say the exact same thing…I made both the refried beans & tortillas this week (loved them, btw!) and already tried the Maple & Honey Syrup this morning (wonderful!) and made her Pizza Dough for last night’s dinner! Winner all around our house! I love how she breaks down the cost and puts down how many times a year you would make this would cost you! Again, yes I agree, Crystal…thanks for introducing us to her!

3. Courtney says

I’ve been making freezer burritos on the nights we have dinner on the run, but we don’t have a microwave so I’ve been reheating them in my crockpot! I grease the crockpot, add the burritos, set it on low for about an hour before we leave and vent it (otherwise the tortillas get soggy). The crockpot keeps them warm while we travel and until we eat!

• Heather says

What a great idea! I hate mushy reheated burritos and so does my family…I will have to do this next week while we have a late night of outtings planned. Thank you for sharing!

I love meals on the go or quick dinners, and this recipe looks delicious!

You could probably even pop these in the oven with some enchilada sauce and cheese, and top it with pico de gallo for a slightly different dinner out of the same ingredients. Thanks for sharing!

5. Stacey says

I love this recipe..also added chicken tastes great! I wrap them individually in foil and put them in the oven straight from the freezer.

6. Karen Bruce says

I assume that you can add meat to freezer burritos. Is that a correct assumption? My husband loves burritos but they MUST have meat. I’d like to try this and “stock up” on quick, easy meals. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

7. WilliamB says

“Because following a recipe like it’s written just gets boring, ya know?”

Or something, yes. I joke about “which recipe I’m not following for dinner tonight.”

we made crock pot beans for the first time this past week! YAY!! I thought we already had a great budget and now we will easily save another $5+ a week! Hubby is excited to take frozen burritos to work and it will be even cheaper than his regular tuna sandwiches – woot!

9. Missy says

Thanks so much for this recipe! I am not a great cook so I like quick, easy, & cheap. This recipe was all three & tastes great! Now I have a freezer full of tastey burritos ready for when I’m too hungry to wait for something to cook or just don’t have enough time. I know my bf will love these too & its better than his go-to fast food run. I will be trying more of your freezer cooking ideas. :)

Thanks!