Freezer Cooking in an Hour: Homemade Freezer Biscuits, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins, & Twiced Baked Taco Potatoes

I had a late start to my Freezer Cooking in an Hour session yesterday because I had some projects I had to finish before dinner. But it all ended up working out — despite the late start!

6:00 p.m. — Started on the Twice-Baked Taco Potatoes. I had already scrubbed and baked the potatoes and made the taco filling earlier in the day, so I sort of cheated there.

But an opportunity to “multi-task” opened up while Kathrynne and Kaitlynn were working independently on a writing project, so I just seized it. And when 6 p.m. rolled around and it was time to start on the potatoes, I was grateful.

6:13 — Jesse gets home. We chat about our days while I finish scooping all the insides of the potatoes out and mashing the filling together. Jesse sends the kids to get their PJs on (we often have them get ready for bed before dinner so that we can just focus on family time during and after dinner and then they can just brush their teeth and go straight to bed).

6:20 — Kaitlynn still had some homeschooling to finish and Jesse said he’d help her with it, so I stopped to show him what she needed to work on. They sat at the kitchen table and read together and worked on her handwriting while I finished up the potatoes. It was fun to have Jesse read Little House on the Prairie while I cooked. Kathrynne couldn’t resist coming in to listen, too.

6:25 — Finally done with the potatoes and I do a quick tidy of the kitchen.

6:30 — My trusty pajama-clad kitchen helper pulls up a chair to make the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins with me. We practice counting while measuring and dumping the ingredients in.

6:37 — The muffins are ready to go into the oven and just about everyone gathers around to lick the remains of batter from the bowl. I can tell it’s going to be a well-liked recipe!

6:40 — I stop to join in Jesse and Kathrynne’s conversation about whether or not to pull her tooth. The tooth is practically hanging by a thread, but she’s determined not to pull it yet. We have fun teasing her about it.

6:43 — I start in on the Homemade Freezer Biscuits while everyone else sets the table and does a quick pick-up of the house before dinner. The biscuit recipe is so simple and doesn’t make all that many so I’m done fairly quickly and it’s time for dinner. It’s been a busy and productive day and I’m ready to sit down and enjoy some Twice Baked Taco Potatoes for dinner!

The Final Tally:

Homemade Freezer Biscuits — Made a dozen. I baked one and was very impressed with this recipe. SO good with homemade Apple Butter — yum! I think I’ll triple it next time around.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins — Made 16 muffins. These were delicious. I used half whole-wheat flour in them and they were still a hit.
Twice Baked Taco Potatoes — I doubled the recipe and it made enough for three dinners for us (including last night’s meal). We may use these for quick snacks/on-the-go lunches, too. Most everyone really liked this recipe.

See more Freezer Cooking in an Hour sessions here.

Did you do any freezer cooking this week? If so, tell us about it!

Comments

1. Ivy Berres says

I’m excited to try the taco potatoes as my daughter is on a baked potato kick right now! I just made big batch of meatloaf cupcakes for the freezer as well as waffles and pancakes. Thank you for all of your freezer pleaser ideas:)

I so want to try those freezer biscuits. Perhaps early next week. I want to leave my family with a few simple things to prepare the days I am gone.

3. Alison says

Hi! I was just wondering how you go about freezing the twice baked potatos. I find most potato dishes I do don’t freeze very well.

FWIW, I have frozen twice baked potatoes without any problem. I, too, put them in freezer bags. They come out fine.
    Also, I really like your idea about the kids getting changed before supper. We have started a family reading time after supper/before bed, so that would give us more reading time.
    I think I will try it with my youngers, ages 12 down to 6. It would save the time the kids waste trying to drag out bedtime! LOL!

5. Debbie says

How do you keep your kids from not getting dirty while eating dinner? You must have trained them well!

They are older now and usually not messy like they were when they were toddlers! I sometimes forget how much different my life was back then… and it was only a few years ago!

I was just thinking that my littlest ones would have their pjs so messy they would have to change again. I do like to have them change right after dinner though. That seems to work well even with the younger ones. Since we eat early (around 4:30) we still have plenty of time for reading and playing together before they start their bedtime routine around 7:15.

6. Jane says

Crystal,
    I enjoy seeing what recipes y’all are working on. I am not much of a cook, but really want to learn more. I love that you post about your cookin experiences even if they don’t turn out just right. I have made your Pumpkin Choc Chip recipe about 8-10 times…but haenever had ANY to freeze! My kids love them. We usually end up bringing some to a neighbor or friend! They get a big thumbs up from everyone!

7. Alex says

I didn’t do much freezer cooking this week, but I wanted to let you know that I made your corn dog muffins to go with our dinner tonight (and extras for the freezer :)) and they turned out wonderful! You’re right; that cornbread is the best ever.

8. Sara says

Did a ton of freezer cooking this week- 32 meals to be exact! Have a baby due in 6 weeks, wanted to be sure the other 3 kiddos and hubby eats when he arrives!

I made one ingredient ice cream this week- it was delicious and a perfect evening snack for my daughter! It was so easy- just slice 4 bananas onto a cookie sheet, freeze them, toss into the blender and blend until they turn into cream! It is great like that but, I then added 2 scoops of peanut butter, some cocoa powder and a few chocolate chips to doctor it up a bit. I honestly could not tell it was not ice cream. Next I am going to combine it with frozen, creamed mango! I plan to make it once a week, I say it is for the kids but, really I am addicted : )

We love the banana cream at our house, too. We really like it blended with peanut butter. Sometimes we add honey swirls which the kids love! I like to top it with a little homemade chocolate sauce…yummy!

10. Julie says

We actually tried the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins this morning for breakfast. I pinned them from you earlier this week, I think. I subbed half whole wheat flour, too, and they were a huge hit with the kids! Now I need to try some more of my Pinterest finds! :-)

A few days ago, my husband said, “You should figure out how to make Peanut Butter and Jelly muffins for me.” (I’m gluten free, so we eat different bread products) I was like, “Huh? Where did THAT come from?

BUT I did a Swagbucks search and lo and behold, there are plenty of recipes available for PB and J muffins. Who would have thought it?? I made a batch and he said they were quite yummy!

This is the recipe I used:

I plan on putting them in the freezer like I do with all our muffins and I anticipate that they will freeze well!

12. Carollynn McMahan says

I noticed that both last week and this week you started your freezer cooking hour right at what would traditionally be the “dinner” hour for most families. Does your family always eat a little “late”, or is it that you are actually incorporating your meal for that evening’s dinner into your freezer cooking time, thereby “multitasking”? Just wondering how you do it so late in the day and don’t have issues with suppertime.

We typically eat between 6:30 and 7 p.m. because Jesse rarely gets home before 6 p.m. due to his work schedule.

I typically start dinner at 5:30 or 6 p.m. (depending upon how labor-intensive it is), so I’ve just been incorporating Freezer Cooking into my dinner prep time.

13. KimH says

Great job.. those biscuits sound great.. I read the instructions but dont twist your biscuit cutter into your dough when cutting them out.. just cut straight down.. When you twist, it binds the edges of the dough and they wont rise as high.. so they say..

Sounds like a great and satisfying evening… Thanks for sharing it!

Love these recipes! Will have to try them out! This week, I just made a double batch of your pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (some with choco/some without). These have become a wonderful snack or breakfast for us…and this past year we actually grew our own pumpkin in the garden so we have a great supply in the freezer!

Also this week, I made Homemade Frozen Pizzas (tried out your recipe for the dough). I baked them for 7 minutes to get the form, then finished with toppings, wrapped, then into the freezer. It was for a group of people so I made 10 of them! You can check the post out here: http://doinglifetogether4.blogspot.com/2013/01/homemade-frozen-pizza.html

Thanks for all your inspiration!

15. Kari says

quick question if i dont have a food process to do the biscuits in would the kitchen aid work to do these?

• Becky says

Kari, my biscuits recipe looks identical to Crystal’s and I make it in my Kitchenaid mixer w/o any problems. :)

Crystal,
      As always thanks for being such an inspiration! I need to get back I to freezer cooking. I did lots of it prior to the holidays so that during the busy days during the holidays I could just pull something from the freezer. It’s time to restock it, but the holiday slump is still a visitor here…lol. I have managed to freeze 1 1/2 batches of biscuits, pancakes, and chocolate chip cookie dough. I love how you make it seem so easy.

16. Kristina says

Just wanted to mention that this is very much like our biscuit recipe, though mine calls for just a bit of sugar (tsp). My family LOVES homemade biscuits and stubbornly refuse to eat canned :-/ I haven’t tried freezing them, but will definitely get right on this. It will save so much time and make Sunday mornings much less stressful! A small note, I use some whole wheat in ours and to save time and scraps, I shape my dough in a rectangle and use our pizza wheel to cut it into squares. My crew don’t mind square biscuits and it is ever so much easier to only roll it once and never have scraps.

17. Cheryl says

I did 40 pounds of ground beef this week into freezer meals on Wednesday or starts of meals! I have two meatloaves done, three bags of cheesy meatballs, five bags of taco meat, two bags of fajita meat, six bags of about 2 lbs each of burger to make into hamburgers, one large roaster of chili that we froze into a gallon bag, and about six small containers for lunches, plus leftovers for supper tonight, and meat and sauce in the fridge ready to build at least 3 lasagnas once I pick up the noodles I forgot. Now to have a chicken day soon!!!

Supper preparation last night turned into a quick freezer cooking session also. We were going to have Sweet-n-Tangy pork chops. The rest of the package of pork chops needed to be used, the ingredients for the recipe were already out … with about 10 minutes extra time, 4 more packages of meat in sauce are in the freezer ready to be defrosted for future meals.

Thank you for sharing all your freezer cooking recipe sessions, from the longer ones to the “new” quick way. Most people I know do not do this, so I was greatly encouraged when you started sharing about it just after I had begun being interested in doing it. Okay, I know it has been quite a while since you started sharing about freezer cooking, though it doesn’t seem that long ago … time really flies.