4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 2 Update

If you missed this morning’s assignment, you can read it here.

Y’all, it was a monumental day. I didn’t wear my PJ pants all day, unlike yesterday. So Kathrynne took this blurry photo to record this momentous occasion. ;)

Today’s short list of goals… I got all but one of them done and the day’s not over with yet. Woot! :)

I was so glad we were working in the kitchen today, because this was what I was greeted by when I walked into the kitchen this morning… apparently, a little 3-year-old who lives at my house had decided he wanted to attempt to make popcorn for breakfast! :)

Kitchen after clean-up

Kitchen after clean-up… now if we just don’t eat anything, it can stay like that. ;)

Fridge before being cleaned out.

And the fridge post clean-out. Not any huge changes, but I promise that it’s cleaner and more organized now, even if it doesn’t look much different. :)

How you do on Day 2? I’d love to have you share your progress and success with us so we can be inspired. Either post a link to your blog post below or leave a comment with your update.

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified} series

31. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 16 Update
  32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 17
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 17 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 18
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home {Simplified}: Day 20

Comments

1. Shelly says

Oh good, I cleaned out my fridge today anyway and had no idea it was next on the list. I just got in the zone!

Cleaned the kitchen and wore something different today. It’s funny how much just putting on make-up, makes a huge difference. Accomplished items on my to-do list today including sorting through books to donate to the library.

3. holi says

I had such high hopes when I made my list at work today! After waiting in line, i have lost my momentum!

Did you have to wait in line to vote? My husband waited for 1.5 hours! I waited until around 4 p.m. and only had to wait around 25 minutes, gratefully. So happy that so many people were making voting a priority!

• holi says

Yes, I was so lucky, we waited (one of my older daughters was with me & another was ahead of us in line) only 30 or so minutes! At 10 am my husband waited 2 hours! As we were leaving a little after 5pm the line was twisting around & growing…
        The guilt set in as I was watching the election results, so I popped up and started working on my list. The best part was how great I felt when I looked at my table & it is cleared off, along with a pesky corner on my counter top. The latter needs more work, but it is 90% better!

4. Jenn says

Crystal, please don’t take this the wrong way but I was shocked to see you rockin those boots!!! See, your not such a minimalist!!! Please tell where you bought those, all the boots I look at are over $100.00 and out of my budget. Shoes are one thing I buy high quality.

• Marie says

okay, sorry not Crystal but I had to comment on your comment about boots. I too couldn’t find any until I looked at JCPenny. They had these totally awesome boots for $40!!!! Unfortunately, they didn’t fit my feet ( I have difficult feet) but they had another ALL Leather boot for $59!!!! I couldn’t believe it. Pair it with a sale or coupon and that’s one of the cheapest prices I’ve seen! Oh, and this was just in the last month.

• Emily says

I want to know about the boots too! I’ve been saving to buy a pair of Frye boots (don’t ask how much they are – it is way too much) but need something to get me through the next few months. Where did you buy them? They look great!

Hey, minimalists can love boots, too! :) I’m actually a huge fan of boots. They can make a simple outfit look so much classier and they can change up the whole look. Plus, they are warm in the cold winter months and fun to wear… at least in my opinion!

There are lots of great deals to be had on boots. Check Kohls or Famous Footwear when they have a printable or online coupon out. For more expensive boot deals, I’d recommend checking Haute Look or Rue La La. And I’ve seen quite a few good deals for boots on Totsy and 6pm.com, too. In addition, Groupon occasionally has boots in their Groupon Goods section.

Keep your eyes peeled and you’ll find lots of ways to get high-quality boots for less than $100, if not well under that amount!

• Linda says

I found a great pair of boots at Bass that ended up costing me around $38.00 (down from $139.95) after all the discounts they had at the store (70% + 20% off) and a coupon ($10.00 off $50) I’d received online.
        They are super comfortable and everyone complemented me when I wore them. Love getting good deals!

I wore a patriotic (red white and blue) outfit to work today to celebrate voting! I spent 10 minutes cleaning my kitchen out this evening. I didn’t get to the fridge but I will in a few days on my next day off. Thanks again for doing this Crystal!

Oh my what a mess of popcorn on the floor. My youngest would do that also if we didn’t have a lock on the pantry cupboard. :)

I was able to get my cleaning done in the kitchen it is looking so much better. Now I only wish I could get everything off my counters, like in your kitchen. I guess I just have too much stuff. But I really do use it all on a regular basis.

7. Jennifer says

I got my kitchen tidied up, and wiped down all the cupboards, and spot cleaned the fridge (all with my baby in my baby carrier!) . My to-do list is in progress, but I’m in high hopes of getting everything checked off. And I like your boots too:)

8. Shannon W says

Wow you looked amazing, love the boots! I feel like such a slacker, I have not yet made it out of pj’s. Your list has inspired me to get up and get with the program right now. I did everything in PJ’s today, from voting to mowing 7 yards, to xmas shopping, to gas station trips, to drugstore and video rental places. Tomorrow I vow to get dressed before 9 am! Oh and I am gonna get that kitchen clean now! Thanks.

Well at least wearing your PJ’s around all day doesn’t stop you from getting things done! Sounds like you had quite the busy day! :)

• WilliamB says

FWIW, I find that my most productive at-home days are the ones where I’m still in my sleep clothes at 3 pm. Those are the days that I’m doing so well that I don’t want to kill momentum by stopping to change.

9. Sherry says

My list for today:

- Clean off kitchen counter – throw away old coffeemaker
    - Clean out fridge
    - Make Gratitude Journals with the kids
    - Finish laundry

Everything is done, except that I still have one load of laundry in the dryer.

Thank you for doing this!

Sherry

10. Chris says

I like your scarf, too. So much, in fact, that I bought one very similar to that (color) about 10 days ago!

My mother commented on my clean kitchen. Well she always comments but this time she came over like 10 minutes after I finished.

12. Susan I says

Day 2 was pretty much a success. Not quite as great as yesterday, but I’m hoping to make up for it tomorrow. So far I have 2 of my 5 things done on my to do list, and lucky me, I cleaned and organized my fridge last Friday so I didn’t have to do that. I am a girl scout leader and we took our 30 girls to Bakers Square for dinner and to make pies, so that wiped me out. I’m thinking I might cheat and have the hubby finish the kitchen.

13. Meredith says

I did well on my list today. I got everything done on my list but it was pretty simple. Vote, finish reading a book to my daughter, iron husbands clothes. I thought my kitchen was clean then I looked on top of the fridge and in odd places like the ice maker chute. Man were they dirty. I had plenty to do in my ten minutes! Looking forward to tomorrow!

I’m so glad you’re going through this. And since the assignments seem to be broken into small chunks, it’s not as ‘scary’ of a task to take on each day after work (when all I usually want to do is sit down and veg out).

Thanks for the inspiration! I really hope by attempting to blog about it on my own each day, I’ll keep up with the assignments!

15. williamB says

I find that having an organized fridge makes a huge difference in beating food waste and eating well. Even if it’s just moving food from metal bowls (opaque, takes up lots of space, not stackable, things can hide behind it) to Tel-Fresh containers (clear, rectangular so efficient of space, stackable, hard for things to hide behind it) improves the situation greatly.

And, of course, in the process of shifting the food I review what I have.

16. Kay says

Thanks for the motivation Crystal! You plus an unexpected visit by my parents tonight encouraged me to clean my fridge. I spent my time last night scrubbing off split items adhered to shelves, and tossing bad food. I still need to clean out the bottom drawers – but at least it’s cleaner than it was! And I caught up on my purse plus did a reasonably good clean of the public rooms to boot after working and voting, while catching some of the election returns on tv. I’m feeling very accomplished even if today’s goal will have to wait because I have a gala fundraiser for my non-profit tonight.

I can see a difference in your fridge! I needed more time with mine but it wasn’t meant to be yesterday (probably not today either).

18. JP says

Great idea Crystal. Looks like I mixed and matched a little from previous days but here is the result:

Kitchen/Bathroom:
    I was able to empty the dishwasher, clean all the counters, get the kitchen in order and clean a portion of the bathroom.

It definitely struck me how little time a lot of this takes. I’ve been frustrated with the mess in my kitchen for days. It took me a total of 3 minutes to clean it up today.

Bedroom:
    I was able to clean out a part of my closet that I’ve been wanting to get out of town for six months! It was fashionable and cool but 100% not me.

Thanks for the great exercise Crystal! Look forward to hearing what other people found.

19. If It's FREE! says

I noticed you have five cartons of eggs in your fridge! If I purchase the furthest out date, how long do you recommend they stay fresh/edible?

Eggs will keep for 4-6 weeks, if not longer. We buy them fresh from my brother (who raises chickens) and we typically go through 2-3 dozen per week.

Oops! I put my link for day 3 here on accident and can’t figure out how to remove it? Could you please remove it for me? Thank you!