Crockpot Cinnamon Biscuits

I saw this recipe for making “Cinnamon Rolls” in the crockpot the other day and I was very intrigued. So naturally, I had to try it for myself.

But in typical Crystal fashion, I had to tweak the recipe a bit, too. :)

I was really happy with how they turned out. They were yummy, easy to make, and with the alterations I made to the recipe, they are good for you, too. Best of all, we had hot biscuits without heating up the house!

Now I’m all inspired to try making other breads in the crockpot!

I let Silas make his own biscuits with some of the leftover dough!

While the original recipe calls these Cinnamon Rolls, since they aren’t rolled up in any manner, I changed the name of the recipe to Cinnamon Biscuits, as that seemed better suited.

Comments

1. J says

I am all for not using the oven in this crazy heat! I have busy searching all types of crockpot recipes. It is my best friend this summer.

• Jen says

I had just posted a question about making this GF by using the GF bisquick… Thanks for your recipe as well. I’m also pregnant and these sound great!

Jen – I’ve never made that GF monkey bread before, but I’ve liked every recipe from Nicole at Gluten Free on a Shoestring, so it’s bound to be good. It’s at least similar to this recipe – and that works for me. :) Hope you enjoy it!

• Jen says

My mother-in-law gave me the cookbook for Christmas, but I haven’t really done anything with it yet. I’ve been so tired and sick with morning sickness kicking in full force in Jan and woking full time on my feet. Due in another 3 1/2 weeks and looking forward to doing a bit more. I’ll be done with work in about a week and a half, so I’ll be looking through all of my books for some good freezer-cooking recipes to make up for those first few weeks after baby arrives!

How funny – I got the cookbook for Christmas from my MIL, too! I’m just now 11 weeks pregnant so I’ve got a ways to go. :) Blessings as you have your new baby soon!

2. Wendy says

Did these rise like a normal biscuit would rise when baked in the oven? They still look flat but maybe it’s just the picture.

They weren’t all big and puffy, but they did rise. They were flatter than many biscuits, but still very yummy — probably the flatness was a combination of baking them in the crockpot at a lower temperature, the baking mix I used, and the fact that I didn’t make them very thick to begin with.

3. Julie in IN says

I like your crockpot; is it new? I don’t remember seeing it before now. Does the insert go on the stove top to brown meat?

I’ve had it for a year and a half or so. My first crock pot (a wedding present), cracked down the middle after so much use so I finally had to replace it a year and half ago.

Inspired to make these for a snack while we watch the Olympic Opening Ceremonies tonight. You said to cover the crockpot with paper towels. Do you put the paper towel all the way up by the lid, or lay gently down over the dough?

5. Ruth says

Those look so good. I will have to try this. I use my crockpot a lot but I am still venturing into the area of breads and desserts.

6. Pamela says

Wonder if canned refrigerated biscuits would work for this recipe? Has anyone tried this?

7. Debby says

We made these this morning and they were amazing! We did use Bisquick (yikes)…so it wasn’t as healthy as yours…but they were very good! Thanks!

These look really yummy.

When we first moved to China and didn’t even have a toaster oven I learned how to bake all kinds of things in our crockpot. I baked bread often and several birthday cakes that turned out great too. It takes longer, but your right it won’t heat up you how either if you live in a hot area. Fortunately for this pregnant lady we now live in the spring city of China so it very rarely gets hot. :)

You can bake a lot of things in a rice cooker too.

9. Kaitlyn says

Yum! These look really good! I am going to try to make these today….thank you for posting. I am tired of making the house so hot by using the oven. :)

10. Teresa says

I just learned to make banana bread in the crockpot! Loving making “baked” goods without heating up the house!

11. Kaitlyn says

Ok….mine didn’t turn out. :) I used honey intstead of sugar…..and I think I may have left out some other ingredients that we didn’t have. (Whoops!!) I will have to try it again the RIGHT way next time. :) Haha…….I can’t beleive my family still likes my cooking after all my blunders! :)

12. Rachel says

Sweetened condensed milk makes a yummy “glaze” and it’s super easy. I rarely glaze stuff either though. I loooove cinnamon. I like being able to go crazy with it. I think I might try this as the original post suggested with the frozen rhodes bread dough.

I didn’t measure, just eyeballed it. But you can check the Cinnamon Roll Biscuit Recipe and use that proportion if you’re not a “dump cook” like me (i.e. dump and eyeball without measuring type of cook! ;))