4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Freezer-Friendly Chocolate Banana Bread (Day 20)

Chocolate Banana Bread

We made it to Day 20 — woohoo! If you’ve followed along and joined me in any or all of the daily freezer cooking challenges, you deserve a huge congratulations for making it this far.

Chocolate Banana Bread is usually really simple to whip up. But it took me longer than usual this time around.

First off, I mixed the dry ingredients together and got ready to add the cocoa only to discover we had no cocoa. I was confused as to why on earth this chocolate-loving family would be out of cocoa — especially since I was sure we had just had a full container.

Then I remembered…

…A few weeks ago when I was baking something with Silas, I left the kitchen table where we were working to go get something from the refrigerator. I got sidetracked doing something else in the kitchen for a minute and forgot to pay attention to what was happening at the kitchen table. Big mistake.

Needless to say, when I came back, I found that he had managed to spill the entire contents of the cocoa container out on my kitchen table. And yes, I had to take a picture to document it as I’m sure we’ll be looking back at these things some day and laughing quite heartily about all of his epic messes . :)

At any rate, I had to make a quick trip to Walmart to get some more cocoa. I figured Walmart would have a good price on some generic brand of cocoa.Wrong. I discovered that Walmart only stocks Hershey’s or Tollhouse (what’s with that?!), so I paid a whopping $2.58 for a canister of cocoa and tried again to make the bread.

Then, I discovered that my camera card was missing and when you’re supposed to blog about a cooking adventure, a camera card is sort of important seeing as a recipe post without pictures is kind of dull. :)

Where oh where could the camera card be? I searched high and low — only to finally find it in the load of clean laundry in the dryer. I had stuck it in the pocket of my jeans the day before and it made it through the washer and dryer unscathed. Hey at least it wasn’t buried at the bottom of the freezer like my camera cap!

Finally, I was able to get the recipe finished!

Comments

1. Heather says

Glad to know I am not the only one who documents their kids messes. I don’t know how many times my oldest has gotten herself into a mess and my first reaction isn’t one of anger or disbelief, its “wait let me get the camera”.

Oh my! What an adventure for you today.
    You really had to work hard for this freezer post!
    Glad you didn’t ruin the camera card. Whew! ;-)
    The bread looks fantastic-yummy!
    I sure hope you do this challenge again- and that you have a great trip.
    Blessings!

3. Ruth says

You will really laugh at all the messes when the kids are adults! He is so cute I don’t see how you could ever get mad at him anyway.

4. charity crawford says

Too bad he didn’t try to eat it being it’s chocolate then realize how nasty it taste because the face of how awful it would have tasted would have made the picture even better. :) Too cute!

5. Beth K says

You’ll love the Nestle’s cocoa! Cook’s Illustrated magazine rated it as the best tasting cocoa that you can find inexpensively! :)

6. Heather says

The price of cocoa has really increased in general – it’s not just Wal-mart.

7. Bethany says

Whoa, at first I read that as your whole camera getting thru the washer and dryer unscathed…I was like, what kind of camera do you have!!???? hahaha these type pictures will be so fun to embarress them with when they’re older. ;)

8. Bethany says

Oh, also…Crystal, you should do a price check on Hershey’s cocoa at Sam’s. That’s where I get it. It’s cheaper there than getting it at Walmart.

• charity crawford says

Yes I get my cocoa from Sam’s as well and it is way cheaper!As most things there are in bulk.

• Courtney says

I get mine at Sam’s, too – a 23 oz. container of Hershey’s cocoa costs $6.78.

Just so you know even at our Ingles Nestle cocoa powder is cheaper than the store brand! So that’s what we always buy! That bread does look delicious, and your Silas is such a cutie!

10. Abra says

I have truly enjoyed this challenge and am taking things away from it that I will use for years to come. My husband has been complimenting my work and our freezer full of food. Last week, we needed to pull most our meals from the freezer stash. He really enjoys this chocolate banana bread recipe and says it’s a keeper. Thank you for the challenge!

This recipe looks great. My family really likes banana bread, although I will have to find a gluten free alternative for me! Love your picture of your son at the table!

12. lizajane says

Well, the cocoa might have been expensive, but the picture of Silas is priceless! :)

Ooh, this recipe is like my favorite sundae! Vanilla ice cream, bananas and chocolate syrup.

Walmart stopped carrying off-brand chocolate chips and cocoa a few years ago. But I found that Trader Joe’s cocoa is actually the same cocoa I’ve seen on Cupcake Wars. Plus it had twice the fat and calories per tablespoon vs. Aldi. Makes me wonder how they do that…. Anyway. Good stuff!

• Mandi says

You’re right! I just compared my TJs brand with the other brand I have. Twice the calories and fat! I wonder why? The TJ brand is my brand of preference and it’s cheap.

I just checked out my Hershey’s as well just out of curiosity – same fat and calories as Aldi. Half of Trader Joe’s. It makes me believe that the inexpensive $2.29 Trader Joe’s cocoa is actually much richer and flavorful than Aldi or Hershey.

• Laura C says

I’ve always preferred TJs cocoa over Hershey’s/Nestle/store brands, etc. Now I know why! Never thought to compare nutrition labels. Interesting.

14. Cindy says

I have a recipe for no bake cookies that uses hot chocolate mix in place of cocoa. You may be able to substitute this in other recipes next time you find you are out of cocoa. It is a great way to use up free cocoa mix I got in the past.

• Cindy says

No Bake Cookies

1/2 cup sugar
        1/4 tsp salt
        1/4 cup butter
        1/4 cup milk
        1/4 cup peanut butter
        2 packets hot chocolate mix (Swiss Miss, Nestle)
        1/2 tsp vanilla
        1 1/2 cup rolled oats
        Combine all ingredients except vanilla and oats in a saucepan and bring to a boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla and oats. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet. I put these in the freezer or could just be refrigerated.

15. tina says

Are you the one that was cooking gluten free for her child? If so, here is the mix that I use in place of flour (cup for cup) in regular recipes. You will find that this chocolate banana bread would be even better when using this mix.

2 cups brown rice flour (not white rice flour – it makes a difference)
    2/3 cup potato starch
    1/3 cup tapicoa flour
    2 1/4 tsp xanthum gum

16. Debbie in PA says

Your son looks so adorable! I do miss those days terribly (13 and 15 now). And what a timely post. I have 3 overipe bananas sitting on the counter just waiting to be used!

17. Kelly says

What a priceless picture!

I’ve washed and dried a flash drive (which was loaded with lots of stuff!) and thought it was all lost forever- nope! Still works just fine!

18. Amanda says

The only thing I need for this recipe is chocolate chips! I can’t wait to try it. Yesterday I put some frozen chicken breasts in marinade and stuck it back in the freezer. Thanks for this idea, Crystal! I did Italian dressing and a sesame ginger one.

19. Laura says

I just love this series! Your freezer friendly recipes have been great. My freezer is 1/2 full right now as I have been doing 2-3 every Friday. I love knowing that I have easy dinners and some treats in there also.

20. Christy Carden says

That is one reason I don’t shop at Walmart regularly. If you need something and there is not a sale and/or coupon out on that item, they often don’t have a generic version. I shop Publix. Sure the Toll House Cocoa at Publix probably costs more than the Toll House Cocoa at Walmart, but the Publix brand cocoa is cheaper than them both!

I ran into the same problem with cocoa recently (well, I didn’t have to run out for it)… I thought I’d grab some at Walmart and yep, I bought the same can as you for the same price (in WI). No generics at mine, either.

Around Christmas, Aldi had cocoa for $2…I had hoped to get some, but they were out before I made it there. I have got to remember to stock up this year!

Hershey Cocoa per Tablespoon: 10 calories and .5 g of fat
    Aldi Cocoa per Tablespoon: 10 calories and .5 g of fat
    Ghiradelli Cocoa per Tablespoon: 15 calories and 1.5g of fat
    Trader Joe’s Cocoa per Tablespoon: 20 calories and 1 g of fat
    Nestle Cocoa per Tablespoon: 15 calories and 1g of fat

Not all cocoas are the same! Wow what a difference in some.

23. Karen says

wow! That price for cocoa is cheap! I live near Hershey PA and I pay about $4.00 for a small container!

What a cutie! Good for you for remembering to take a picture. Sometimes I get so caught in the mess I forget that this will make a fun memory… some day!

And yay that the camera card wasn’t ruined!

25. Kim says

Cute!
    By drying & saving the leftover sweet bread/muffin/cookie/graham cracker crumbs, they can later be used like graham cracker crumbs for dessert crusts. I also save bread & cracker crumbs left over after baking &/or after emptying the package to use in meatloaf or croquettes. I save the dried crumbs in an empty Parmasan cheese container (I put non-sweet crumbs in one container & sweet crumbs in a separate container). Just make sure the crumbs are good & dry or you’ll end up with mold!

I just put this in the oven after making it for the first time. I’m excited to try it! I’ll be taking it to a farewell girls’ night tonight. Thank you for the uplifting and encouraging community you have created here; it’s been good for me the last few weeks.

27. Penny T. says

Has anyone tried making this into muffins instead of bread? Also, I’d love to cut down on the sugar and butter. Has anyone tried any healthier substitutions? I think I could substitute whole grain spelt flour but not sure about the sugar and butter. I’d like to use a little honey and coconut oil instead. Anyone tried anything like this? This might work well for my daughter’s lunches next year if I can make it a bit healthier.

I can so relate to losing things just today I was looking for my lens cap for my camera. I asked my kids to help me. Guess where it was, on the camera. So glad your camera card came through the wash alright. I made this recipe but used zucchini instead of bananas as I did not have enough bananas.

29. shawna says

I made this with butterscotch chips instead of chocolate chips because that’s what I had at home. It turned out so yummy!!

Differences in cocoa, who would have thought? I’m going to be sampling other cocoas. I’ve always used Hershey’s. The things you end up learning when everything does not go as planned. :)

31. Stacey Hughes says

Too cute!! Sadly, this post makes me feel normal! :)
    Recipe sounds yummy.

32. Emily says

thanks for showing us the frustrating days, as well as the amazing ones. :) Both encourage me!

Yum! I made the freezer banana bread with chocolate chips on top – from day 1. We ate 1 loaf and froze the 2nd right before a HUGE road trip. What a relief to come home late at night and, even with an empty fridge, know I’ve got breakfast covered. Thanks!

34. Amy says

This sounds yummy!! Knowing me, I’d have probably salvaged what I could off of the table and used it anyway. LOL! Especially if it was just for my family and not a special occasion or something. I will have to see if I have the ingredients for this. The last bananas I had, I’ve already sliced and flash frozen. Guess I could thaw them first and still use them.