4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Energy Bites (Day 18)

So, I’m a day behind where I’d hoped to be, but I’m still plugging along — and can see the finish line in the very near future. Yay! And yay for a freezer full of good food!

Today’s project was making Energy Bites, a recipe I initially discovered on Smashed Peas and Carrots. This recipe is delicious, packed with nutrition, and so easily adaptable.

{Grinding the flax seeds in the coffee grinder.}

Want more make-it-from-scratch ideas? I highly recommend Easy Homemade by Mandi Ehman. This ebook contains more than 60 recipes for homemade kitchen staples and it’s beautifully laid out, well-illustrated, and packed with great ideas and recipes.

Comments

1. Amanda Campbell says

Oh boy do these ever look so good! Might have to substitute the peanut butter with some sunbutter though.
    Will be making these this weekend! Thanks!

2. Kari says

Oh my. Looks great and sounds great. Ingredients to help with lactating for a breastfeeding mommy!

3. Loraine Guerrero says

I have lots of Bobs Red Mill Granola that I bought when I found a great sale on it. Well needless to say no will eat it but me. Do you have a recipe for bars or bites that I could maybe incorporate it into so as not to waste it. They all love granola bars just not the cereal.

4. stephanie says

Love this recipe, I make it all the time! Today I subbed almond meal for the flax… Divine!!! I may make that change all the time.

5. rebecca says

These are SO good! I shape them into “bars” and wrap in plastic wrap for my kids lunches/snacks :)

Hi there, Visiting you….from Blog talk Radio…then Facebook and now Im here!
    Hellooooo!

I am allergic to nuts so I wonder how you’d substitute?
    I will look for more recipes =)

We made these and my son kept asking when we were going to bake them. He thought they should be baked like the cookies we made earlier in the week. When we had the energy bites done I let the kids sample them. At first my son made a funny face. I think he was still thinking I was forgetting to bake them. But once he tasted them he really liked them. The rest of us all liked them quite well too.

• Terri says

Actually, they are not digestible in raw form, so grinding is good. :) They do, however, store in the frig or freezer longer if left whole. I am def. trying these out soon.

I couldn’t believe how yummy these are while containing such good for you ingredients. What a great treat to take camping/hiking for a burst of energy!

9. Sara says

Looks similar to the homemade granola bars Andrea makes at simpleorganizeliving.com. Delish!

10. Cindy says

Hi — does anyone have a nutrition analysis for these and other high-protein treat/bars/snacks? My 17-year old son is a swimmer and water polo player and needs to eat 5000 calories and 200-225 gm protein a day. He needs the nutrition, but my wallet needs some RELIEF!

• Sarah G. says

Putting the recipe into the CalorieCount.com recipe analyzer, using wheat germ, it comes to 157 calories, 8.2 grams of fat, 3.4 grams fiber, and 5 grams of protein per ball. With sesame seeds, it makes it 179 cals, 11.5 grams of fat, 3.3 grams fiber, and 4.6 grams protein.
      Hope that helps! I’ve found the recipe analyzer to be extremely useful, and it’s free to sign up for that site. :)

• Stacey says

It’s hard to just eat one of these, so for a teenage boy I would multiply these amounts by a few! :)

11. Kaitlin says

We love making this recipe too! One thing we did that really put these over the top was to melt the chocolate and peanut butter on the stove, then mix in the dry ingredients. This helped everything stick together and made every bite full of chocolately goodness :)

12. Emilie says

I made these with sunnut butter and without the flax (I was out). I went to sparkpeople and entered the recipe to find the calories, fat etc. I made a triple batch which made about 52 bites:

Nutrition Facts

Sodium 11.2 mg 0 %
    Potassium 58.3 mg 2 %
    Carbohydrate 17.6 g 6 %
    Dietary Fiber 1.4 g 6 %
    Protein 2.3 g 5 %

13. Heather says

I found these on smashed peas and carrots last year, and started making them. My hubby and boys loved them. My boys wanted them for football all the time. The team loved them too!

I made those a while back. Very yummy! I just finished out some burritos and enchiladas as well as some taco meat.

15. cathy S. says

We don’t have a health food store anywhere close so I’ll check in the next town at Publix for the flax seed. I hope they have it already ground because I don’t have any type of grinder or food processor. Thanks everyone I can’t wait to try these!

16. Rhonda Morgan says

I am looking to purchase my first coffee grinder and was wonder about suggestions for a good one. Thanks

I have a Hamilton Beach that just happened to be a freebie that came along with a coffee maker and I actually like it much better than the more expensive brands I have owned. Most important thing: make sure you get one that comes apart for washing! That way if you use it to grind spices, seeds, coffee, etc… it won’t flavor your next project. With my old ones, only the lid was submersible for washing. The actual bowl/blades could only be wiped out and it was hard to get it all clean.

17. Bethany says

I’ve been making these forever, my family LOVES them and inhales in seconds…
    One thing I’ve discovered that is SO helpful when making these…instead of spending all that time rolling out a hundred little balls (it takes me forever), I dump the whole mixture into a foil-lined 9×13 baking pan, press it down as if I were making granola bars, stick it in the fridge for and hour or so, then lift out the foil and cut them into little squares. SO MUCH FASTER! I wish I came up with this trick a long time ago. You still get the little bites, but it’s a lot easier to cut little squares than rolling little balls. Plus, your hands don’t get messy. YAY!

18. Suzanne says

Is there another good way to grind up whole flaxseed if you don’t have a grinder? Would a food processor or blender work?

Any idea how long these store not in the fridge/freezer? I’m a runner and these sound like a great snack to take on a long run, but only if I’m not going to end up with a gooey mess two (or more) hours in!

• kj says

When my husband was training for a marathon, I would make these and he thought they were perfect for his training. He would run by the house and pick up his drink and this snack and keep going. I don’t remember him saying that they got gooey–they might of, but he didn’t say anything. He just wanted more. :-)

20. Nicole says

Ha! You’re just like me! I’m so addicted to these and the original recipe never makes enough!! I have to turn it into a double batch also!! We skip the coconut and we’ve started using Sunflower Seed butter (because we can’t find any other use for it) and mix in some ground chia seeds, too. :)

21. Joanna says

I found that recipe several months ago and I’ve made it MANY times. But I’ve never tried freezing them. Thanks for the suggestion!

I love that the recipe is so versatile. One change I’ve liked is substituting carob chips for half of the chocolate chips. I also reduce the honey a bit, because it’s almost too sweet with all the honey. I’ve also tried pressing the mixture into a 9×13 pan and cutting them into raw granola bars.

• Mars says

I was thinking about making them into bars as well. Do you cut and freeze them once they are all set in the pan?

22. amanda says

Just wondering, do you use the old fashioned rolled oats or the quick cooking oats?. Also, my daughter can’t eat flax…any ideas on substitutions for this part?

23. Joy Ramler says

I made these yesterday and they do taste good, but were SOO crumbly. they wouldn’t roll into balls. I had to squeeze them very hard to get them to adhere at all. What am I doing wrong? I followed the recipe with all the right measurements.

• Stacey says

I have found that if I use natural peanut butter (even the no-stir kind) they end up kind of dry. Were you using a natural PB?

• Joy Ramler says

Using the other kind seems to kind of defeat the purpose of a healthy snack, wouldn’t it? Any ideas?

• Stacey says

I haven’t figured out an alternative yet, I just know I’ve made them with both and the natural version was more crumbly. Perhaps trying the technique mentioned in a post above of melting the chocolate and PB and then adding the other items? Haven’t tried that yet, but maybe it might help? Or adding a bit of a healthy oil? Anyone?

I don’t do a lot of freezer cooking, but I’ve been following this series as I’ve been looking for some freezer recipes that I can use for our week at camp next month. These will make a perfect camping snack…quick, healthy, no dishes to clean and no wrappers to throw away. :)

25. Mars says

Uh, YUM! That’s all I can say. These are incredible! I have them hidden in the freezer, and can sneak 1 or 2 when no one is around. They are super easy to make, and I even had all of the ingredients on hand. I added dried cranberries as well, and they are just delicious. Thanks for the excellent recipe, and keep em coming!

26. Bonnie says

When you say
    2 cup coconut flakes, wheat germ, sesame seeds, or a mixture of all three (can also substitute oatmeal or protein powder, if you prefer)—-do you mean 2 cups of each of these ingredients??? Or a 2 cup mixture? Sorry, I have never made anything like this before, but am looking forward to it.

27. AJ says

Instead of rolling these into balls, I dump the mixture into the plastic insert from a cereal box. Then I roll it out with a rolling pin (so now I have a big rectangle the size of the plastic lining). I gently open the plastic lining and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut little squares. I fold the plastc back over and place the whole rectangle in the freezer or fridge. This method is a lot faster than rolling balls.

28. Terra Wiseman says

I made these for our church luncheon today and they were a HUGE hit! Everyone loved them (even the pickiest kid!).

29. jen in pa says

i love these! where can you find a decent amount of sesame seeds? my grocery store only had them in small containers in the spice aisle, and it was not very cost effective. is there somewhere you can buy them in larger quantities?

30. Erin B says

This may be a silly question but is Caro syrup a substitute for honey? I have Caro left over from another recipe and I just ran out of honey making granola bars.

31. K says

I tried to find the answer to my question in the comments section, prior to asking, but I can’t seem to.

Do you have to grind the flax seeds for this recipe? (Will it affect the flavor of the final product if the seeds are left whole?)

Thx.

If you don’t grind them, you might as well leave them out as your body can’t receive nutrition from whole flax seeds.