4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Easy Morning Glory Muffins (Day 17)

These muffins are delicious and nutritious. When my friend, Angie, brought us some one day, I took one bite and knew they were winners.

I adapted the original recipe to make it healthier, but if you’re not worrying about sugar or calories, the original recipe is really good. :)

I’d recommend using muffin liners, if you buy them, as they seem to help these be a bit more moist. However, they are still delicious with less sugar and without muffin liners.

I used pureed carrots instead of shredded carrots this time around as that is what I already had in the freezer. I think it works a little better with shredded carrots — and the batter doesn’t look so orange, either!

Did you do any freezer cooking today? If so, I’d love to see the results of your efforts! Link up your blog posts below or tell us about your success in the comments.

Comments

1. Slides 'n Sandboxes says

Do you serve all your muffins on the top of the fence posts? :) Can’t wait to try them (muffins) out. Thanks!

2. grace says

I am so making these….actually im going to go make them now for in the morning…its a great way to sneak extra vegetables into the kids :)

3. Miranda says

I make these very similar except instead of the flour I use flaxseed meal and wheat bran. Healthy and delicious!

4. michelle says

These look great! Anyone know if I can replace the eggs? My son is allergic but he loves muffins and these would be great. I’m thinking applesauce? He just got diagnosed so we are new to eggless cooking :)

• Tania says

Michelle: Flax seeds are probably your best substitution for this. You may want to try this:
      - 1 tablespoon whole flaxseeds
      - 4 tablespoons water (or other liquid)
      Process seeds in a blender to a fine meal, add liquid and blend well.

You can make a bigger batch by increasing the ingredient amounts. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

• Chanda says

I know there is a little blurb on the side of the flaxseed bag about using it as an egg substitute. I’ve used it before, but I can’t remember the specifics, something like 1 Tbs flaxseed and 3 Tbs water for each egg. I have used it before in baking and it always turns out great!

• Kim says

I have a friend who is vegan, so when I wanted to make her some cookies, I had to find an egg substitute. I substituted 1/2 cup mashed banana for 2 eggs and they came out great. My family actually liked the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies better with the banana.

So, you could try 1/4 cup mashed banana for each egg.

• Rebekah says

My only concern (if I’ll make these I’ll be replacing the egg, too!) is that 3 eggs for 12 muffins is an awful lot of egg to be replacing. Usually the flaxseed substitution works beautifully, but I’ve never replaced more than 1 egg in a single batch of anything at a time. If you do it, please let us know how they turn out!

As a side note, I’ve noticed that the 1 T flaxseed + 3T water substitution has less volume than 1 large egg, so keep an eye out for the moistness of your batter. You may end up wanting to add a Tbsp or so more liquid. :)

5. lyss says

Mmmm…these look good. I will be tweaking them further(is that allowed?!) I guess I’m used to not-very-sweet muffins! All my recipes use more like 1/4 cup of sugar per 12 muffins. That original recipe should be called cupcakes! lol

I ran out of carrots so I could not make this recipe today. But I will be trying it in the future. But I did make pantry muffin mix. I mixed up a strawberry and chocolate chip muffin mix, zucchini and chocolate chip muffin mix and a pear and cinnamon muffin mix.

I made chex mix today. And I made 6 different kinds. No I did not intend to, but I kept seeing such good recipes I couldn’t stop until I ran out of time and energy. hehe. I still have 4 more recipes to try. Hehe.

8. Jessica says

I use a recipe very similar but use 1 cup grated carrots and 1 cup grated zucchini…so yummy!

9. Lynn in MD says

You could make these even healthier by omitting the oil and using applesauce or canned pumpkin instead. Instead of eggs try egg whites or even flax meal instead. :)

10. rebecca says

I made these many times before but added 3/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup oil (canola, vegetable, or whatever I have on hand but no olive). Never tried cocnut oil but will have to next time. My picky kids LOVE them and usually want butter on the muffins but they eat them plain.

These look great! Excited to try them. Is the yield ~24 muffins (guessing from the pictures)? Hopefully I’m not overlooking that in your post but didn’t see it. Thanks!

Your website always inspires me – I used to make and freeze muffins frequently but I’ve dropped the habit – thanks for the reminder :) They’re such a great quick snack.

These look great! I may have to try them after we run out of banana bread.

I’ve been working on dinners this week, plus preserving some of the herbs that I grow. It’s been a good week!

Thanks for hosting this!

14. katie says

After you posted that you were going to be making Morning Glory Muffins, I got a real hankering to make some. I checked out the recipe you used and it is almost the exact same recipe as the one I use from a bakery cafe cookbook my mom gave me when I got married. The only difference is my recipe includes 2 tablespoons buttermilk (i just use milk and a drop of lemon juice). I think it makes a difference too!

As to the healthiness of all that sugar and oil, I like the way you tweaked them. I did the same only I replaced half the oil with mashed sweet potatoe. Next time I’ll use apple sauce. I used 3/4 c sugar and they were plenty sweet. I will say they turn out for me with a kind of caramelly crunchy outside that i love when I use the full 1 1/4 c sugar the orignial recipe calls for (if i use no liner.

15. Lana says

Yum! Our now 21 year old daughter called these meatloaf muffins when she was little :)

I have been motivated by you to be cooking all this week, though I missed the first two or three weeks :) Yesterday, I baked two chickens, shredded the meat, made a bean mix for the freezer, and packaged four lunches (3 fried rice, and 1 BBQ chicken for sandwiches). Your muffins look yummy!

I tried your meatballs and lasagna casserole for freezer cooking this week. Can’t wait to eat them! Thanks for all the inspiration.