4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #17 Update

We had another good day today. This new routine is going so well — and I even got up later than usual this morning! Yay!

Silas and Kaitlynn tackled the bathroom with me this morning during our morning chore time. They are responsible for cleaning the toilet and sink every day, so I just helped make sure it was done really thoroughly today.

Silas’ attention to detail cracks me up.

He would not leave the bathroom until ever square centimeter of the toilet had been scrubbed.

After our morning homeschooling was done, we had a “picnic” lunch inside and I read Amelia Bedelia stories aloud while the children ate.

Of course, they had to get a silly faces picture, too! :)

Later on in the day, I tackled the kitchen cupboards. After looking through them, I rearranged a few things, but decided that it was mainly the pantry that needed cleaning and re-organizing, as the others were in good shape as I’ve cleaned all of them in the last two months.

It wasn’t all that bad, except the snack bin which was in desperate need of help! {Pictured above is what the bottom of the bin looked like! Yikes!}

Much better!

After cleaning out the pantry, I did an impromptu 30-minute freezer cooking session while making homemade pizza for dinner (I know, I know, homemade pizza totally wasn’t on the menu this week. But I decided it sounded better than meatballs for dinner tonight and Jesse agreed. So I just went with it!)

More on the impromptu cooking session in a bit. For now, here’s my pile of 7 items I got rid of today. Actually, there are only six items shown, but I threw out a few things from the pantry that were expired, so I’m counting those, too.

How did you do on Assignment #17? I’d love to have you share your progress and success with us so we can be inspired. Either post a link to your blog post below or leave a comment with your update.

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home series

32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20
  37. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20 Update
  38. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home Printable Checklist and Daily Email Reminders

Comments

I will admit, I thought the cupboards? all of them? really? But then I thought about it. I had cleaned out most of them over the past month anyways, so I tackled the two I had been neglecting- I feel sooooo much better now! I don’t know what I’ll do when this challenge is over.

Just curious since some in our family can have dairy and some can’t–when you have pizza night, what do you prepare for the one who can’t have dairy?

I’d be interested in knowing, as well. My 4 year old grandson can’t have gluten or dairy. I’ve been doing gluten-free for my daughter for over 20 years but when she was dairy-free in the beginning she could tolerate soy cheese. When I’ve checked the labels the soy cheeses all have casein! I’m making pizza Friday, so if anyone has any suggestions I’m open! (As of now I’m doing the gf crust, sauce and hamburg.)

I was dairy free for 6 months while nursing my daughter due to her potential milk allergy. I love pizza, so when we would make/order it, we would just do mine without cheese on top. I always did extra sauce instead of cheese and it was delicious! I sometimes still want my pizza without cheese :)

Just a head’s up, I know you said you were making it, but if you ever order carryout/delivery, I found Papa John’s was one of the only places with dairy-free original crust. They were always very helpful in accommodating the milk allergy.

3. Anna says

4 hours later, and I’m STILL not done with the cabinets! They aren’t even that bad, I just have that many! But I have been rearranging and tossing things out that I’m not using (or have expired), and wiping out everything, so I am proud of getting this assignment done. Although, my body is TIRED! Only 8 (I already tackled 13) more cabinets to do for tomorrow. I hope tomorrow’s assignment is an easy one! :)

• karen says

Can you “abridge” your cleaning plan down for those of us that want to start it – but haven’t had the guts to? LOL maybe a list (or a calender format) of the major task of the day ….

Wow, your pantry looks pretty empty. Mines did too though. Are those labels you have on your shelves? That is going to be one of my to do things here lately label all my pantry stuff pretty =)

5. Tamara Dillon says

Do you actually have a bin labeled “snacks” for the kids? I’m wondering- if you do- what do you keep in it and how often are the kids allowed to grab them?

So Crystal, when it’s snack time at your house do you prepare what is for snack and serve it? My kids have taken up the habit of going to get what they want. I buy mostly healthy food, but of course the few junky treats I buy are always there before anything healthy!

I usually give them options: popcorn, apples/carrots, muffins, etc. and then they choose and can get it for themselves.

Your Silas is like my son. He pays attention to everything and does a good job. I had to laugh when I saw that picture. That is just how my son would clean.

Our cupboards needed to be done the pantry was not organized very well at all. The other cupboards were not too bad but they needed cleaning. It was the organizing and sorting that took me the longest amount of time. But I am sure glad it is done now. My kitchen is really shaping up nicely.

I don’t know why but cleaning and organizing my pantry was one of my favorite spring cleaning things to do so far. I found Pintrest to be pretty helpful with coming up with organization ideas. I really think labels too are so helpful and fun to make!
    I love seeing how your day went Crystal. Your kids are great at the chores! :)

• Lydia says

I’m with you Martha. I actually get kind of bothered by all the “expired” stuff that people throw out. Most of the time the expiration is really a “best by” date. I have rarely ever opened anything that was expired (and I’m talking by a year sometimes) that was bad, especially if it was canned or frozen. Stuff like crackers or cereal might get stale but otherwise the food is pretty good to go. In fact I’ve often used sour cream that was a mo. past expiration and it tasted fine! Okay, so I’m sure some of you are gasping in horror by now. :)

• vicki says

many times the expiration date is for the container its in, not the actual food expiring. the expiration date is the date at which the container (plastic, metal can, etc.) that the food is in begins degrading. plastic degrades after time and that is why your bottles of water expires. i’m sure it isn’t harmful if its consumed within a few months of expiring, though.

I’d like to know what type of cleaning product you use that Silas was allowed to spray on the toilet. My little guy wants to help me but I’m hesitant to let him have access to my cleaning supplies.

All of our easy-access cleaning supplies are non-toxic so that the children can help without me having to worry. We’ve been using Mrs. Meyer’s recently because I love it and got some free with my Vitacost credit, but we also like Basic H from Shaklee because it’s very economical and lasts a LONG time!

9. Nicole says

I went through my cabinets too. Thinking I didn’t need to do much. Boy did I find quite a few things we either didn’t need (baby food- the baby is 19 months!), a few sippy cups that will never get used bc my daughter went straight to a straw, etc. I was amazed at what all I found. Thank you!

even though my cabinets and pantry need it, I totally skipped it. By the time it was posted, i was already working on the basement and didnt want to stop. i did clear out 5 large garbage bags of trash! I plan doing the pantry next week :)

I have gotten so behind on this challenge. I haven’t even had the chance to read in the last week or so.

First my daughter and I both came down with some stomach bug and as soon as I was feeling better I got a terrible sinus/cold. Needless to say I haven’t felt like cleaning or getting on the computer.

Today I still feel tired after being sick for nearly 2 weeks but I am going to try and do my daily routine for the first time since I have been ill. And I am going to back track on your posts.

Thanks for such a great challenge. :)

That pizza really looked good. Thanks for inspiring me to get some things done that I have been putting off. Things that have made my life much easier.

13. Dana says

Crystal- Looks like cleaning was fun as was the picnic? May I ask where your pantry food is, do you have a stash elsewhere in your home? I keep the bulk of our canned/dry goods in our kitchen pantry, items like olive oil, pre made seasoning packets, supplements, my stockpile of non-perishables, etc??

We have some shelves in our utility room in the basement with our extra canned goods, bulk baking supplies, etc. I don’t like to keep a bunch of extras upstairs — just those things we are using on a very regular basis.

• Dana says

There are times I wish we had a basement! There is something about keeping items in my garage that I don’t like. I live in the south and I think I am a bit paranoid about bugs!!!

14. kj says

Does one pizza really feed your whole family? Just on Friday my husband and I were remembering the days when that would work for us. Now two homemade pizzas are in order with few leftovers. My 10 year old boy is mostly to thank for that. :-)

Loved the pics of Silas cleaning the toilets – my son LOVES to do that – it’s his favorite chore. Since he’s been helping me do it for so long (he’s 5 now), he’s actually VERY good at it! It just cracks me up!

16. Christine says

Silas’ scrubbing cracks me up too! I once had 2 foster boys 4&5 who loved to clean the 1/2 bath. They used an entire tub of Clorox wipes but man was that bathroom sparkling and they were so proud of themselves :)

17. Jan says

Your kids look so cute~ I am really enjoying this series even if I am way behind- I might get one cupboard done today.