Homemade Carrot Fries

My friend, Angie, and I split a 25-pound bag of organic carrots from Azure Standard last week. It was only $10 for my share, so a pretty good deal for quality organic carrots.

Now the fun has just been figuring out how to use them up!

I came across this Carrot Fries recipe on Pinterest and knew I had to try it.

It was so simple to make. You just wash the carrots.

Peel and chop off the ends.

And then slice them into “fries”.

Coat with olive oil and salt and bake them on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for around 30-45 minutes, until a little browned and crispy.

Enjoy!

Comments

mmm! Those actually look really great! We love sweet potato fries- I wonder if I could fool my husband for a few minutes with these! :)

2. michelle f says

I have never posted before, but I have to tell you that we do this all the time, but we GRILL them on our grill and I LOVE them! I will have to try it in the oven now!

• Casey says

Thank you for sharing! Would love to try grilling some carrot fries! Do you use foil on grill?

• Ellen says

We just tried grilled carrots the other day, because we all love grilled asparagus. We figured if it works for one vegetable, it’d work for another. We left the carrots whole and placed them directly on the grill. (You could use foil, but it’s not necessary.) They were great! I highly recommend it.

3. Debbie says

I just tried these a couple of days ago after finding them at the same place you found them! They were a big hit even with my non-carrot eating husband! Win!

• Ellen says

Yes, you can! I’ve done it several times, although I think larger carrots that are cut have better flavor. Also, I prefer to bake them at a higher temp. More like 400-425.

This is like how we make sweet potato fries!! Super, super yummy! Just add a little nutmeg and you’re golden.

Can’t wait to make these for the kiddos tomorrow. Thank you for such a great idea! – heather

• Casey says

Green bean fries? I’m intrigued! Any special method? Could I use fresh picked garden beans? Get tired of canning, would like something else to do with them! Thanks!

I tossed frozen green beans with olive oil, put them on a pizza stone, sprinkled them with salt and baked them for about 13 mins at 375 degrees (F). I think fresh would be fine if you didn’t bake as long.

• Michelle says

I have done fresh before and although I haven’t tried to do it with frozen I think that fresh would be better. I think that it would only take about 15 minutes and give the pan a shake about 1/2 way through.

5. Sarah T. says

I’m going to try it as well! We pound down the carrots in our family. I get the 10# bag of organic carrots at Costco for $7. I happen to have a crinkle cutter from a yard sale years ago that would make these fun. Yay!

6. Toni says

I made these for lunch today after my curiosity was peaked by your weekly menu plan. I used: 4 carrots (prepared as above), 1 tsbp olive oil, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt (a bit less, actually) and a dash of pepper. I baked mine for 20 min at 425º and they came out perfectly. I and my children LOVED them. We’ll definitely be making them (and more of them) again.

7. pinky says

For those of us here on the east coast , up North…is there any company that does what Azure Standard is doing. I would love nothing more than to try them out but they don’t deliver here :(

8. Janelle says

For using up carrots, I boil them down and puree them as if I was going to make baby food, freezing them in ice cube trays. Then whenever I’m making soup (or sometimes mac’n'cheese) or other recipes, I just throw a couple of cubes in for added nutrition.

• Becky says

I do the same thing and sometimes add some to muffin recipes as well. Particularly if it’s a strong-tasting muffin anyway, the carrots don’t add discernible flavor but do boost the nutrition a bit.

9. Laura says

We’ve been making the same thing with cauliflower recently. My kids love it! We’ve been adding minced garlic to make them “garlic fries.” I’ll try carrots next time!

Do you juice? Carrot juice is one of my favorite, and it freezes well.

10. Ellen says

I love that this is a new concept to people! You folks have obviously never tried The South Beach Diet. Seems like the only thing you eat on that plan is roasted vegetables. :)

I just did these yesterday! They’ve been on my Pinterest board for a while, and we didn’t have much around the house for lunch, so I gave them a try. I loved them! All we ever eat around here is raw carrots, but I think I like them cooked better. Plus they’re better for you.

12. Alyssa K says

Organic carrots are .69 a lb at costco, if you have a membership, it’s cheaper :).

13. Julie in IN says

I stocked up on carrots when they were $.29 for a 2 pound bag; we call these roasted carrots.

We also enjoy Carrot, Pineapple, Raisin Salad, Carrot Muffins, carrots shredded in tossed salad, and snacking on raw carrots.

That looks so yummy! I can’t wait to try these! What a great way to encourage the kids to eat carrots (mine hate them).

15. Margie Runia says

Carrots will keep for a long time, so don’t worry about trying to use them up fast.. They do not even have to be refrigerated. I have kept them in the cool garage or in the basement, just so they keep from freezing and are in the dark when I didn’t have enough space in my refrigerator. Sometimes I would lose a carrot or two, but most of the time they were fine. This is how I would store the bounty from my garden when the ground would freeze.

For those of you who are gardeners, another thing I did was use the rinse cycle on my washing machine to finish washing all the dirt out of the nooks of the carrots. Worked fantastic!

Looks yummy.

Crystal, what things are you finding are a good deal with Azure Standard. I’ve been meaning to do a price comparison to the stores around here but haven’t gotten around to it.

-Cathy

17. Lyda says

We do the same thing with diced sweet and white potatoes (mixed). You do have to turn the tho, or else they get burnt on one side! :)

Yummy!

FYI to those with Costco memberships. Some locations offer large bags of organic carrots for about $0.50/pound. Great deal!

• Sarah in Alaska says

You “southerners” sure are lucky.

We’re paying $1.05/lb for carrots at Costco up here in the frigid north.

• katie says

We have Organic carrots at about $0.70/lb at the Costco locations where I live in Central/Northern NJ. Love it!!! Whipped carrots, carrot soup, carrot sticks, carrot fries, carrot chips…I’m always looking to add these cheap nutritious veggies to our meals!

19. WilliamB says

When I found myself with too many carrots, I discovered King Arthur Flour’s version of Morning Glory Muffins. A ton of carrots, whole wheat flour, sugar, chopped apple and raisins and other fruit, egg. Tastes delicious and I don’t mean “Pretty good for whole wheat.”

Not a good fit for Crystal’s household right now but for the rest of you readers – these muffins are gold.

20. Michelle says

Those look great! Just wanted to let you know that I do almost any veggie that way in the oven. Asparagus, carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, red potatoes. I do want to try parsnips though, as I have never had them. It is so easy, just give the pan a shake about halfway through a little olive oil and salt and pepper….mmmm

21. Linda says

I haven’t done this with carrots but it works well with parsnips. I will try with the carrots for sure.

22. Susie says

Maybe someone mentioned this….I didn’t read all the comments. But you don’t have to peel the carrots. Since they’re organic, why waste any of them? Just scrub them and remove the ends!

• Emily says

I was just going to say the same thing… I thought I read before that organic carrots don’t need to be peeled, and that most of the nutrients are found just below the skin, so its better not to.

23. Litany says

Wow, they look so easy and yummy! I will have to try some with lunch this afternoon. Thanks for sharing this!