2012 Goals: February’s Update

In early January, I shared about my Goals for 2012 and promised an update at the end of each month. So here’s February’s update:

Personal
Read through the Bible in a year. {I’ve been keeping up with this faithfully}
Read through the 24 books on my 2012 booklist. {I’ve almost finished my February books plus read quite a few other books!}
Listen to 12 audiobooks. {Finished February’s audiobook.}
Run in at least one 5K race. {Almost finished with week 6 of the Couch to 5K program.}
Complete the Couch to 10K program.
Tackle 12 Do-It-Yourself Projects. {I’m making homemade Naan this week–hopefully!}
Focus on one habit per month. {I made early bedtimes a big priority in February and got so much more sleep this month. Still working on consistently getting up at the same time each day.}
Learn to use my new DSLR camera (huge surprise Christmas present from Jesse!!) & improve my photography skills.
Take at least one photo a day and put together a page every week for my Project Life album. {I almost have all of February done.}
Memorize Colossians using the plan and free download here. {I’m almost caught up with this.}

Marriage
Go on the Love Like You Mean It Cruise. {Done–read my recap here.}
Go on two Marriage Retreats (overnight trips sans children for planning, talking, goal accountability).
Have monthly date nights. {We had one date in February plus the cruise.}
Read four books together. {We’ve read a few more pages of one book together so I guess that counts for something!}
Read at least 3 books on marriage. {Almost finished with Rekindling the Romance–loving it!}

Children/Homeschooling
Continue regular dates/outings with each of the children individually. {I didn’t do so great at this with the cruise and us being sick this month. I’ll try again in March!}
Continue Grace and Truth memory book. {The children memorized four more verses plus two verses to a hymn this month.}
Ice-skating lessons for all three children. {The children just finished their first round of classes and we decided to go on to the next round because they all enjoyed them so much!}
Swimming lessons for all three children.
Finish second grade, begin third grade with Kathrynne. {Plugging away at this!}
Finish kindergarten, begin first grade with Kaitlynn. {Plugging away at this}
Start preschool with Silas.
Go on at least one field trip every month. {We didn’t get to go on a field trip because of the cruise and sickness.}
Go on at least one family vacation.
Finish at least 15 read-aloud books. {We’ve almost finished five read-alouds so far this year.}

Ministry/Friendships/Extended Family
Write at least two handwritten notes every month to encourage someone. {I wrote & mailed three handwritten notes this month.}
Continue being involved in our local church, homeschool group, young couple’s group, and blogging accountability group. {Ongoing}
Continue with weekly get-togethers with both sides of our extended family. {Ongoing}

Business/Blogging
Continue to take Sundays off from blogging/business work. {Ongoing}
Continue keeping strict Office Hours for the business/blogging time each day. {Working on this–making a tiny bit of progress!}
Switch to a paperless planning system. {This is going well for me, though I’ve decided I’m probably never going to be 100% paperless for all things.}
Follow my weekly blogging plan. {I didn’t do this perfectly in February, but I adhered to it somewhat.}
Plan blog posts out at least a month in advance. {Not quite there, but I’m at least being much more intentional with my blogging this year than I’ve ever been before!}
Write and schedule blog posts at least a week in advance. {Making some headway with this, though I’m far from where I want to be!}

Financial
Continue to tithe 10% of our income. {Ongoing}
Give generously to needs in our community and around the world, as God prompts us. {Ongoing}
Pay cash for a new-to-us vehicle to replace our family’s van. {We were able to finish funding our vehicle fund this month. Now we’re starting to look at vehicles and hoping to find something in the next few months. We’ll see!}
Finish saving for and purchase a rental property with cash. {We were able to set aside some for this in February.}

How Are You Doing on Your Goals for 2012?

If you’ve posted goals for 2012, I’d love for you to post an update on how things are going and share your link in the comments. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to just leave your update as a comment. Let’s encourage one another to live lives of intention and purpose!

Comments

1. Lilianne says

I don’t have goal list for 2012, however I did make one goal for the year which is to read 24 books. My best friend happened to make the same goal and now we are blogging about our reads here:

I have read 4 books so far this year, so I’m on track :) If anyone else has a reading goal or books to recommend I’d love to see them!

2. Catherine Bennet says

You are very inspiring. I use to be so much like you. I miss that part of my life very much. I can’t seem to even get my house clean right now. Keep it up. :-)

• Catherine Bennet says

Thanks.. that was sweet. I have started to read again. Your post about setting goals to read. I have done that. I just can’t seem to do all the things I use to. I use to be so disciplined and I had a clean house, school done. and life was great. I was so happy. I no longer have the strength or energy to even want to start another day.

• angela says

Please don’t take this as a quick answer to a difficult problem… but please look into having your thyroid levels checked. I felt much the same after being quite the opposite also, and my thyroid had all but shut down. After an MRI, I was immediately started on meds and felt like myself again after a couple months. It’s such a silent problem that doctors cannot always diagnose without tests and it is much more common than you’d expect.

I can empathize with you and will say a prayer. Many blessings to you!

• Wendy Jahns says

Angela, that is exactly what happened to me. I have Thyroid issues also and didn’t know about it, went to the doctor for constant fatigue, they found I have the thyroid problem and felt like myself came back to normal after the med.

To Catherine,
          Each day of life is a miracle, our health, our family, everything else is just an addition. If any of these areas if affecting your life right now – pray about it, that’s the power that we have thru Christ WHO strengthes us. “The distance between a problem and a solution, is the distance between your knees and the floor” our Heavelly Father will take care of it – If you believe!

3. Jessica says

I paid off my car and credit card this month! I have a small student loan to go before debt free!

I appreciate how you break down your goals monthly, and that inspired me! At the beginning of the year, I made my monthly goals for the year. They are flexible, though, as I can change them when the month is approaching if needed. This past month, I accomplished all but one goal. It is such a rewarding feeling. I appreciate that you not only have success for yourself, but you share how others can, too. Really, thank you!

I have to tell you, I got inspired by the fact that you’re memorizing Colossians. The link in the first post that mentioned this was really inspiring! I started on it and have 4 verses down so far. I may not get it done in a year but it’s happening!

I was excited to see that you’re on track with it. It would be fun to see how many people actually memorize the whole book!

6. Erin Rose says

I have 2 goals for 2012.

1) Read 12 books (1 a month). I am on my third book so far so on track! Which is amazing since I am not a huge reader. But I am enjoy it so far. So many of your books you read have made my read list.

2) Run twice a week with the goal of 2 5ks and 1 10k this year. My first 1 is this weekend (Eeek). What 5k program are you using Crystal? I graduated from the 5k101 from Runningmate and will be moving on to the 10k101 next week.

Thanks for inspiring me to make goals. I have never set goals really before. Or should I say that I have never set goals that were attainable before. I am still on track with both of them!

• Casey says

I was just reading your goals and thinking to myself “hey, did I post this!?” Looks a lot like my current running goals! My goal is to run minimum of 2 days/week (plus bike 1 day/week.) I want to compete in a minimum of 2 5K races this year, 1 10K race (just now starting to train for a race at the end of May) Upon completion of the 10K start training for a Half Marathon. That race most likely won’t happen until next year, but I want to start conditioning my body. Good luck!

• Erin Rose says

Hey, great minds think alike! I have thought about throwing biking in there once the snow disappears. Thought it would be fun to run a duathlon – of whatever it is called – when you run, bike, then run again. Good luck to you as well!

7. Zoya says

Hi Crystal!
    You’re posts about goals are so motivating! I have slightly fallen off the bandwagon on a few of my yearly goals and setting weekly goals but I hope to jump back on!

One of my goals is to do the project life too, but I ambit very far. I was wondering if u can sometime share pics of your layouts for inspiration? Also, I do bookkeeping for my husband and we also have 2 kids so I’m wondering when do you fit your work in and what is your schedule ?

Thanks!

8. Lisa says

Crystal… you are doing great! Thank you for sharing some of the goals that you are making a tiny bit of progress on… that encourages some of us who aren’t quite as successful in accomplishing our goals! I set a “tiny” goal for myself in 2012 that has huge ramifications… it’s Christianity 101… but I was struggling to have a regular quiet time… that is coming along… I try for 7:30 am every morning or soon after I get up for the days when I don’t work out (at 6 am).

You are a great inspiration… keep on keeping on!

9. Linzi says

Hi Crystal!
    It is so inspiring to read about your goals and I am always amazed at all you get accomplished every week. I am very excited as this year we have prepaid our two son’s college tuition. They are 5 and 3 now, so now we only have to pray that the prepaid tuition fund doesn’t go bust in the next decade and a half. This has been a big milestone for us. In 2010, we too bought our house for cash, so with all the big payments out of the way, we are now saving to travel.

10. Ginger says

I accomplished my February homemaking goal (clean out/declutter second bedroom closet — I had NINE bags of clothes to give to charity!) as well as my goal to read one nonfiction book per month. Doing great with my establish-a-new-habit-each-quarter goal of keeping my pocketbook and keys in the same place as soon as I get home. (I continue to be surprised at what a difference it makes in my quality of life. No more running around frantically, making myself late and stressed, because I cannot find one or the other as I’m trying to leave.) Second quarter’s new habit to be established will be to lay out my clothes for the next day the night before.

Overall, I remain on track with my written goals thus far. I found I have to establish monthly deadlines, otherwise I procrastinate and December becomes a mad dash. :)

11. Kathy says

Woohoo for Colossians! I am so psyched that I committed to doing this this year with you. I eagerly look forward to your updates to see how you are doing. It has been one of the best things I’ve done in a long time!! Love it!!!

12. TeamBonk says

I think my goal for 2012 must be to live more intentionally … I really don’t want to wake up one morning and wonder where my life went and how I got where I am!

I will sit down tonight and set myself 4-5 goals for the month of March.

It’s never too late to start, right?!?

Michelle

13. Meredith says

I have to get back on track with my goals! I seemed to have slacked off in February, but I’m encouraged with the new month and today is a beautiful day here in VA, so I’m ready to start again.

14. Casey says

Inspired by 2 of my favorite bloggers (moneysavingmom.com and sweat-junkie.com) I have created a list of goals for 2012. In addition I have recorded my “big goals” which most likely won’t happen within the year and some “ongoing” and “daily” goals. Some of the highlights are:

Big Goals:
    Run a Half Marathon
    Buy a House
    Complete Bachelors Degree
    Travel to Europe (Greece & Italy)
    Save up money for my next car

Running/Fitness Goals:
    Run 2 days/week
    Bike 1 day/week
    Do exercises/strength training 3x/week
    Stretch daily
    Crunches/core daily
    Have fun!

Other:
    Contact 1 out of town family member/week (via email/phone/visit)
    Drink 64 oz water/day (happens each weekday, weekends I can forget)
    Spend time with friends & family more frequently-make plans ahead of time.
    Remember to relax- watch a movie or read (I’m ALWAYS on the go and/or busy-usually in the kitchen, so I have to remind myself to slow down!!)
    Make sleep a priority! (Right now getting around 7 hours/night, shoot for full 8)
    Get up early enough so that I’m not rushing and stressed.
    Figure out how to both make sleep a priority and get up early!! **This is a tricky one :) I’m a night person, it’s when I’m most motivated and it’s hard to stop tasks to get ready for bed. I’m working on it, but need to make it more of a priority!

Love reading other people’s goals, gives me more to add to my list!

15. yvonne says

Crystal,
    I didn’t know you used the Truth and Grace books. That’s what we’ve been using forever with our kids too. I love them.
    Also are you thinking about doing a 10K or even 5K locally? I’d love to join you in something. I’m just starting back to running at this point. I’m up to 1.5 miles.

We found those at the homeschool conference last year and have loved them!

My plan is to definitely run a 5K locally this year — sometime in the summer, hopefully. And then next year I’d like to do a 10K. That’s the plan, at least! :)

Way to go on getting back to running!

I haven’t posted anything about my goals for the overall year as of yet. I was thinking I should while I was swimming laps this morning. It is almost race season and I thought I would share with others how I pick and choose what races I want to do over the course of a year. I have been writing out my marathon training goals each week http://snailpacetransformations.com/2012/02/27/fitness-goals-for-the-week-of-february-27-to-march-4th/ and http://snailpacetransformations.com/2012/02/20/weekly-goals-planning-my-workouts/ which really has been keeping me accountable to sticking with it. I love reading your goal posts they really inspire me to put more thought into planning, and living with intent.

17. Sarah says

Thank you for sharing SMART goals! I am a manager for a group of engineers in a Fortune 500 company, and we use the same principle when making our yearly workplans. I love helpful tools like this that can be used in my work life as well as my homelife (though my husband often thinks I’m nuts!) :)

18. Lindsay says

Crystal, I read your blog most days and although the coupon offers are of limited value to me here in the UK I really value all the other posts. Your post today is a huge inspiration. I went back to work a yr ago after my first child just 2 and a half days a week. I’m now expecting number 2 and desperately feeling like I have l lost control of all order( a difficult first trimester and stressful job hasn’t helped) in our home. Your goals have made me realise that some order has to be achievable and I just need to start taking small steps one at a time. I’m not entirely sure where I’ll start but a regular devotional time might be the place :-) Thank you

Thanks so much for the kind encouragement. And yes, I’d say that a daily devotional time would be a fantastic place to start!

Congratulations, Crystal! Battling the sickness this month at our house, too. However, good progress made this month on my goals. I’ve fallen flat on my face on a few of them, but overall, taking baby steps. It’s nice to look back – I’m not where I started in January. Happy progress!

One of my goals for this year to was to create and maintain a blog as a means to develop some writing samples, and to teach my friends and family how to use coupons. I received my journalism degree in 2007, but have worked as an administrative assistant ever since. Now that I’m a SAHM in this transitional period, I figured there was no better time to start than now. I haven’t posted a goals update yet, because I just recently posted my goals. I actually mentioned you in them. You are my personal hero!! Thanks so much for all you do in keeping people like me inspired to become better women.

Yay for your goal of memorizing Scripture! I’m memorizing James this year, and I’m almost finished with chapter 2. I have 9 major goals I’m working on, including quit popping my knuckles (weird, I know…but it’s a bad habit!). Probably the one I’ve struggled with the most is figuring out a schedule for my life. I’ve been encouraged my your most recent series and am going to try those routine cards you posted. Maybe that will work better for me.
    Here’s my post on all my goals and their progress: http://faithfulsojourners.blogspot.com/2012/03/february-goals.html