This Week’s Menu

Granola
Carrot Cake Waffles, scrambled eggs
Oatmeal

Lunches

Lunch out at Cracker Barrel
Cheese quesadillas, apples
PB&J, carrot sticks, apple slices
Annie’s macaroni & cheese, peas
Tossed salad with hard-boiled eggs, feta cheese, and dried cranberries
Leftovers x 2

Dinners

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake, tossed salad
Burritos, corn, apple slices
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder, Bread Machine Buttery Rolls, apple slices
Baked tilapia, sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli
Lime Chicken Tacos, Mexican Rice, steamed veggies
Dinner with extended family x 2

Snacks

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Fruit/veggies
Cheese/crackers

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

I made the chocolate bottom banana squares you had on last week’s menu – they were so good!! This week, we’re mostly eating from the freezer. It’s weeks like this that make me glad that I am sometimes able to plan ahead and add to my freezer meal collection. My daughter had hip surgery 2 weeks ago and all my help has gone home. The meals in the freezer make it much easier. We’ll be eating spinach mozzarella meatloaf, spaghetti pie, chicken parmesan, pizza, all with fixes from my freezer! Details are here:

Thanks for posting your weekly menu. I’m working toward getting this organized again.

Love all your tips and moving saving ideas;-)

3. AM says

If you heat the tortilla on the stove for a few seconds, just to get them warm, before you fill and wrap. The tortillas will not brake on the ends as I see in the picture.

• Jess says

those are the tortillas….if i’m not mistaken these are the ones from Aldi that are always such a good price. I normally buy Chi Chi’s…but last trip to Aldi I came by the same ones Crystal uses…and first try at rolling up a breakfast burrito they cracked even after warming…. :-/ needless to say i’ll stick to my Chi Chi’s….

4. Andrea says

I only plan two or three days in advance. Tonight it’s leftovers, tomorrow we’re having beef stew with turnip and parsnips, which will last us two nights.

5. Wendy says

I tried the Chicken Lime Tacos tonight because I thought they looked so good. I got the “They’re not that great but we’ll eat them– just don’t make them too often” response. Oh, well, guess I’ll trash this receipe.

I find that my menu makes such a difference for me to eat better and to save money. Since the weather has turned pretty cold, we are having a couple of soups. I am trying to plan menus around what I have in our freezer since it is full and I would like to buy a couple of turkeys next week on sale, but I have no place to put them!

Going on week 8 of not being able to cook (morning sickness), and I’m running out of freezer meals :) I have been so blessed that my husband is willing to throw things in the crock pot for us. This week he is making Beef Stew, and another night black beans for burritos. The other nights will probably include some sort of grilled cheese or spaghetti, or whatever he’s willing to throw together. I am SO looking forward to getting back into real menu planning :)

8. Meredith says

My folks are visiting and they prefer to eat out. If they eat in, they like to decide that day what they want to eat. Luckily, they have footed most of the bills for the food. However, I am at the point where I’d rather have a freezer meal or some aldi style burritos at our cost. Even free eating out meals gets to be a bit overwhelming.

I’ve got a pot of chicken stock/chicken going right now and the plan is to eat it in various forms this week. :)

Have you made butter with your children? We did that this weekend with our boys and it is fabulously fun!! You need whipping cream and a lidded jar.
    Then you shake – that’s really it! I have a post going up this week about it. It was a lot of fun – and ties in so well with a lot of the pioneer books we’ve read lately, which I know you’ve read some to yours lately too.

We’ve made butter unintentionally when my husband whipped the cream for too long! We’re supposed to do it as a school project this year and I’m excited to do it with the children since I have fond memories of doing it growing up!

We are having a “Flu recovery” menu this week. I needed to be able to cook one giant roast and use leftover meat for other meals. Also a lot of the “power foods”, well as many as I could incorperate with our tight budget. Our immune systems could use a serious boost! Here’s what we’re…LOL, who are we kidding… Not WE… Simply I. Here’s what I’ll be cooking up this week!

11. mary c says

I am curious , what do the adults and children drink with meals.

It’s mostly water, milk, or tea for us.

12. Crystal says

I got on a pumpkin kick this weekend and made pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin scones, and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins ~ all recipes I got from you! They all turned out EXCELLENT and It’s going to be great having them in the freezer… definitely recipes I’ll be using again. Thank you!!!

13. Kimber says

I have to thank you, Crystal, for (once again) making my life easier. I’ve been tired the last few days and struggling with some neck pain, and yesterday, the last thing I wanted to do was cook dinner. I went out to my deep freeze, and voila! A bag of chicken labeled “Money Saving Mom’s chicken”. Several hours later, due to the help of my crockpot and my rice cooker/steamer, we had a delicious dinner! AND delicious leftovers tonight!!! Thanks for saving the day! :o)

14. C. Zamo says

Does anyone do freezer cooking with allergies in their family? I thought I saw a site on this blog a while ago, but can’t remember. Unfortunately, one member in my family can’t have half of what is on your lis.

My website is geared towards living with food allergies on a budget. My recipes aren’t specific to freezer-cooking, but you can adjust them as such. Check it out and let me know if there is anyway that I can help!

Michelle @ The Willing Cook

• Sharon says

Oh Michelle….thanks! While I love reading Crystal’s meal plans, I rarely can make the items due to my son’s milk/egg/peanut allergy (although, we did modify the Black Bottom Banana Bars and they were great! Thanks Crystal!) . I look forward to checking your site out!

I want to try the cookie dough oatmeal, too. I’m taking it easy this week, and using my crockpot two nights in a row! Good thing I have two of them! I literally JUST planned our menu for next week. Since I’m not in charge of hosting the Thanksgiving meal, I am using my day off on Wednesday, and maybe Friday (if I don’t go shopping), to do some major freezer cooking. I have been feeling the pains of “survival” cooking these last few weeks, and really want to stock our freezer again!

Thanks Crystal! Your menu looks great!