21 Days to a More Disciplined Life: Introduction

As I’ve alluded to over and over again recently, I’ve fallen off the bandwagon. And I’m struggling to get back up on it again.

I’ve been mulling over how to break the bad habits I’ve been developing and stop this downward spiral. The idea came to me to spend 21 days focusing on intentionally developing more discipline in my life. After thinking about it for a few weeks, I finally pitched it to my husband last week.

His response? “I think it’s a great idea. Can I join you?” :)

We sat down over the weekend and discussed what areas he and I are particularly struggling in and what specific changes would result in the most immediate and effective changes. We then came up with a gameplan for the next 21 days for each of us.

Since I know that public accountability works wonders for me, I’m going to blog daily about discipline (I’ll be preaching to myself when I write them, but you’re welcome to listen in if you need some extra motivation, too!) and I’ll also have a practical application project for each day. The following day, I’ll share the results of my project.

My hope is that, at the end of three weeks, I will have developed better habits and I’ll be pulling out of some of the mess and chaos that have resulted from my lack of discipline recently.

You’re more than welcome to join in this challenge, but please don’t feel obligated. Save the idea for later or skip over these posts if your plate is already brimming full.

By the way, thanks for bearing with me and my eclectic blogging. You all are the best!

photo credit

Comments

1. Amy f;) says

:) My husband and I both read Disciplines of a Godly Man and pulled some good stuff out of it about discipline

2. nanh says

I LOVE this idea. I think definitely start off with great intentions and then I completely fall off. With the end of the year rapidly approaching, I think this is great time to feel better about myself and what I am capable of. Thanks Crystal!

3. Paula Cornell says

You have my support! I sometimes wish I had the same public accountability – I know it would help with my follow thru. I will muster up all the strength to join you both! Thanks!

4. Blythe says

My husband and I have been trying to get back on track….. so hard! I can’t wait to see what kind of things you have for us. :-)

5. Mindy K says

I am sooooooooooo on board! We have family coming from out-of-town and although I have lived in my house for 7 years, they have never seen it. We have spent the past 2 weeks just purging, cleaning, purging, purging, purging. Where did all of this STUFF come from?

I am really looking forward to getting it all out of the house (and donating it to needy church families and crisis centers). I think it will be a much more enjoyable winter to spend time with the kids doing fun things rather than cleaning every weekend! And maybe my mind will feel less cluttered, too! But if it weren’t for the family coming, my motivation would still be in the toilet :(

6. Mindy says

Crystal – I am so excited for this series! I am the same way I need someone to do it with me in order to keep going. It is the motivation and accountablity.

7. Charity says

Thanks, Crystal. I’ve fallen off the bandwagon in couponing. I’ve got very frustrated and irritated at the t.v. series that at least in my area has ruined a lot of great couponing things for us honest couponers. I haven’t been saving (I’ve saved very minmially), gone over our budget on groceries, and have thrown in the towel since June. I did do a lot of canning this summer and was elated, but going to the grocery store used to be fun and now I hate it. Plus, I’ve lost other frugal habits I had. The coupons in this area have changed so drastically that it is hard to save. I’d love to join this and I’m seeking the Lord’s help in becoming frugal again. Thanks for being honest!

8. Dwilson says

I just have to tell you how much you rock. Literally, you have given me so much to think about and so much to do. Effecting such a needed change in me when I really didn’t know how to do all the things that I wanted to do. (that may not make sense) but I was so lost and stuck. I knew that I wanted to grow in to my roll as a mother and wife and still be able to accomplish things that are wholesome and are considered core Christian values. I appreciate you and pray nothing but your continued success.
    Thank you so much!

9. Kathryn says

God is really putting it all around me! Between my 1000 gifts ladies Bible study, our sermon series on the con game, (money topics), and the children’s ministry focus on thanksgiving for the month, now your self discipline series I’m taking the Hint!!

10. Kristin says

I’m a little late but I wanna do it too! 21 days. Hopefully it will last longer than that :-) I guess that is the idea.

11. Beth says

I. am. in.. Even if just to read and store for a later date, I could use some motivation, accountability, ideas, something!!!

12. Yvonne in AL says

I am with you on this one. I am in the process of reading “The Disciplined Life”, and all I can say is that I need to change.

13. Michele Pleasants says

I am in too! Perfect timing during this busy holiday season… can’t wait to get started!

I don’t want to do this…which is exactly why I need to! There has been all sorts of crazy chaos in our house recently-everything from all 4 kids with the stomach flu for 3 days, broken finger, visiting a hand surgeon, playing single mom to our kids while homeschooling, nursing, keeping our home show ready and trying to get it sold so we can join daddy 1100 miles away in Florida. Calgon!!! My weight-loss has slowed way down and I am using this crazy season in my life as an excuse! If there’s anything I need, it’s this series. So, thank you, Crystal, for your eclectic blogging which ministers right to my heart when I need it the most!

15. Allison says

There is something very comforting in this VERY LONG LIST of people who all have the same struggle!!! I am a firm believer that God does not give us any challenges we can’t *handle. It might be tough, but it will mold us into who He needs us to be!

We can do this!! We can live intentionally and *do all that is required of us!!! So nice we have all these cheerleaders together. GO TEAM!!!!

16. Bridget says

I’m disappointed you didn’t post my comment. I’m sure there are a number of other women out there that feel the way I do. It’s all we can do to keep up. The comment wasn’t meant negative. It simply meant that us, as women, need to cut ourselves slack and realize we cannot do everything and be perfect at everything. That it is okay.

I just double-checked and I think the comment you are referring to was left on the second post in this series, not this one. At least that’s where it’s showing up for me.

I hope that helps!

• Bridget says

Wow, that was fast. Thank you so much :) I enjoy reading your blog. Can I ask you one thing? Can you do a section on how much you spend on toiletries and things like detergent and fabric softener? I swear, I can’t get out of Target for less than $100/week, but I also buy our toiletries and paper products there. It would be interesting to hear how much you spend for your family of 5.

We don’t use fabric softener, we don’t buy very many paper products, I sometimes make my own laundry detergent, and we get most of our toiletries for free or pennies on the dollar by combining coupons with sales. So we spend very little on toiletries and household products and it’s included in our weekly grocery budget.

If you play the Drugstore Game consistently or just practice the Buy Ahead principle, you’ll likely find that you can significantly lower the cost of household products and toiletries. In fact, for two years when I was really playing the Drugstore Game hard, I usually had an abundance of toiletries and got most of them free or free-plus-overage. The CVS deals aren’t quite so good these days, but you can still get some fabulous deals.

• Bridget says

I haven’t tried the drugstore game, due to time constraints. I guess, I’ll just keep using the coupons I can. I remember once you asked what was the one thing you couldn’t skimp on (if I remember right, yours was Pampers), and Tide and Downy are my thing:) I LOVE the smell :) I don’t use paper plates either, but am guilty of paper towels and anti-bacterial wipes for the counters. Handiwipes and cleaning cloths always end up stinky at my house :)