10 Goals For This Week

One of the things I stress in my upcoming book is the importance of goal-setting. Not only has setting goals and breaking them down into bite-sized pieces revolutionized our finances, but it has also been hugely beneficial in our personal lives.

Before each week begins, I set down and map out goals for the following week in six different categories: Marriage, Mothering, Personal, Home Management, Business, Ministry. While I never actually accomplish every single goal on my list, having a written list gives me purpose, focus, accountability.

It’s always encouraging to review the list at the end of week and see what things I accomplished. You know how you have those days and weeks where you feel like you just go around and around in circles cleaning up one mess after another? Well, having written goals to review at the end of the week helps me to see that I actually did something productive during the week!

As a way to keep myself accountable and hopefully inspire you to consider implementing weekly goal-setting, too, I’m going to be sharing my list of 10 goals each Monday morning. I’d love to have you participate by sharing your goals in the comments.

Next Monday, I’ll post a follow-up post with my progress and will encourage you to share your progress, too!

Note: Since this is a public blog, I won’t be sharing all of my goals (such as my marriage goals, etc.), so if you’re wondering why it seems a little unbalanced in certain areas, that’s why. :)

10 of My Goals for This Week

Mothering Goals

1. Start school (I’m so excited about our new curriculum plans this year and the schedule I’ve put together!)

2. Finish reading Revenge of the Red Knight aloud to the children.

3. Put together Busy Bags for Busy Bag Swap.

Personal Goals

4. Run 12 miles (total).

5. Finish reading Good to Great, The Charlotte Mason Companion, and Eat That Frog.

Home Management Goals

6. Vacuum underneath beds.

7. Make Homemade Fruit Leather and Homemade Scrubbing Bubbles.

8. Wash, dry, fold, & put away one load of laundry every day (except for Thursday-Saturday when I’m in Indianapolis).

Business Goals

9. Shoot videos and send to publicist.

Ministry Goals

10. Write two birthday cards, one anniversary card, and one thank you note. Help girls write birthday cards to those who have birthdays this week.

What are your goals for this week? If you feel comfortable doing so, I’d love to have you share 5-10 of them in the comments section. And then come back next week to share your progress!

photo credit

Comments

1. Amy Reynolds says

Great post!!! I am adding one category to mine – probably most important to me – Marital. It’s so easy to forget him.

This week is VBS for us so some of this may be a little unrealistic but it’s worth a try…
    Personal: Eat breakfast daily, Exercise at least 4 days
    Parental: Make 4 skirts for Maddie, Get Jordan closer to a school schedule
    Home management: Finish bathroom art, Switch craft closet and office supplies to maximize space, Load of laundry 5 days, Eat dinner at home every night except date night (again…with VBS…might not happen)
    Ministry: Take dinner to our new pastor and his wife on move-in day, survive VBS!!!
    Marital: Write him a thank you note for being perfect – well, close any way! Make sure he has everything he needs to preach VBS nightly so that all he has to worry about is the actual preaching part. Have a date night Saturday to celebrate surviving VBS.

Just so you know, as I mentioned in the post, I, too, have a marriage category, but I’ve decided not to post those goals since this is a public blog. :)

What an awesome idea!

Goals for this week:
    1. Clean house top to bottom. We were dog sitters for my parent’s puppy this weekend, and my husband is mildly allergic to dogs. Going to try to get all of the dog hair out of here for him.

2. Keep my blog schedule. Research more ways to be a successful blogger.

3. Call a few sisters from church to chat.

4. Read my scriptures daily, alone and with my husband.

5. Stay awake after my husband leaves early to go to work! It is so easy to crawl back into bed after he leaves, but so much more rewarding if I don’t.

6. Go to bed at a regular time, preferably at 10:00.

7. Start reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

8. Spend less time on the computer.

9. Continue to clean out the Craft Room. Whew. It is still such a mess.

10. Continue to purge, purge, purge. We have so many things that we do not need or do not use. I am donating them to Goodwill as I get things cleaned out.

3. Debbie says

My goals for this week:

1. Finish reading “The Help” so that I can go watch the movie.
    2. Clean the kitchen’s window screens.
    3. Take clothes to the Salvation Army’s Thrift store.
    4. Stick to the Weight Watchers plan.
    5. Eat more veggies.
    6. Walk.
    7. Order a 16 pc. dinnerware set to replace the mix match sets using my swagbucks and amazon credit card rewards money.
    8. Research some volunteer apportunities in my community.
    9. Try to earn a $5 amazon gift card using Swagbucks.
    10. Continue to be a good steward of God’s blessings in my life (MOST IMPORTANT GOAL).

love this :) thanks for motivating people!

1. send out party invites
    2. write another chapter in my book
    3. get some pictures of preschool getting ready things :)
    4. figure out how in the world to organize this horrible office/playroom/guest room…ugh
    5. find a magic wand to do #4

5. Denise C. says

I am an avid runner and have registered for 3 upcoming races (10 miler, 5k and 2nd half marathon) so….I want to increase my miles per week, I’m shooting for 12 miles Saturday or Sunday and 7 miles M-F. (I give my legs one day off.) :)

Continue mindful spending, cutting back on trips to Target has made my bank account happier (my husband too!) :)

Less yelling and frustration with my kids. This is an ongoing goal that I seem to get good at, then fall off the wagon with. I’ll be honest here, I grew up in a home where I was always yelled at for everything. I seem to be following that pattern and am trying my hardest to break it.

For my husband, I want him to come home and see me in a good mood. I’m always happy when he comes home, my mood doesn’t always show it, especially on days that were chaotic.

I love goals! Thanks for posting! :)

6. Stephanie says

1. Work with daughter to be better at dressing herself.

2. Work with daughter to practice tracing letters in her name.

3. Try 2 new recipes this week: Chicken Spaghetti and homemade sweet potato fries

4. Draft a prayer list and pray for items daily with my husband

5. Resume daily bible reading

6. Organize file cabinet drawer

7. Call photographer to arrange family photo shoot

8. Reduce caffeine intake/drink more water

7. Kaidi says

I don’t think it was such a good idea to read through everyone’s goals. I thought I had mine set (sort of) and then it’s like “oh, right, that too!”, “I should have started with this!” “scratch that, I’m going to bed!” =P

My main goal for the week is to get motivated, encouraged, balanced. It involves every possible area. Writing this down is an accomplishment, so that means – I’m done for the week! =D

1. Read one chapter 4 days this week of The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson (spiritual)
    2. Have our new Asst Pastor and his wife over for dinner (outreach/serving)
    3. Take the boys swimming at least once this week with Mommy actually getting in the pool (family time)
    4. Run 24 miles this week and stay on diet (I have 19 more pounds to lose by November☺) (personal)
    5. take little boys to the big library once this week (family time)
    6. Get the boys on their new school routine!! up early and to bed early☺

We’re using My Father’s World as our core curriculum. We’re using Primary Language Lessons and Horizons Math as a supplement.

I love having goals and to-do lists! :) Here are my {top} 10 goals for this week:

1. Dust and vacuum our apartment
    2. Clean out our refrigerator and pantry
    3. Finish post office errands
    4. Outline the ebook I am starting to write
    5. Go to two yoga classes on Monday and run 30 minutes every day Tuesday through Sunday
    6. Update our prayer journal
    7. Write letters to my brother in law in the army, my in-laws in FL, and friends I graduated with
    8. Book our vacation and plan out the rest of my husband’s pre-deployment leave
    9. Get my teaching materials ready for a seminar I’m attending next week.
    10. Figure out meal plan for next week and organize shopping list

Thank you, Crystal, for all of the hard work you do to make this blog so incredible and encouraging! God bless!

10. Mary says

Thanks for this post! I have four kids, ranging from almost 7 down to 2 weeks. Obviously, we are in a reorganizing time of life, but your post reminded me that goals are probably even more important now than when things are ‘normal’. So I set a few:
    1. Praise each child at least once a day (this one definitely came out of the fact that today I made my three older kids cry by yelling at them. Yikes!)
    2. Supervise children’s chores daily (we have a great system, but they aren’t independent yet.)
    3. Put away clothes children have outgrown – thankfully they are already sorted!
    4. Evaluate online options for certain grocery items, since shopping is more difficult now.
    5. Finish planning first 3 weeks of homeschool.
    6. Work on 2009 photo album (this one is for me!)

11. Koree says

1. Take recycling.

2. Clean out fridge.

3. Fold clothes off drying rack.

4. Take clothes to Homeless Shelter.

5. Sell books to used bookstore.

6. Get textbooks for the semester.

7. Work on my commissioned painting.

8. Return Redbox

9. Tidy bathroom (sweep, wipe counters)

10. Go to the bank.

12. Ann says

I just made fruit leather a few weeks ago. It was soooo easy.
    I had 88 cent strawberries I used. Also made freezer jam with them.

Goal setting. Definately something I need to work on.

I usually write down what I have to get done each week, but have never thought of them as goals. Thinking of them as goal and not just a to do list may make it more fun for me. We will see. My goals:

1. spent alone time with my hubby
    2. bake boys’ bday cake & cookies
    3. ENJOY the bday party b/c no one else cares if it is perfect
    4. clean house (my parents and in-laws will be visiting Fri.)
    5. read my Bible, ponder the verses and apply them
    6.catch up on the ironing

So funny! I just wrote out a few to do’s/goals for what to do after work each day this week!
    -Daily cleaning, everyday
    -Sand down dumpster-rescued coffee table
    -Sand down dumpster-rescued end table
    -Go to the Iowa State Fair
    -Visit my parents

15. vicki says

I love this idea.

Here is my list.

1. Clean both bathrooms.
    2. Sweep and mop the floors.
    3. Start reading a new book.
    4. Make 10 freezer burritoes and precook chicken for make ahead dinners.
    5. Sort kids clothes and donated any that don’t fit.

I’ve been thinking I need to start putting my daily goals in writings, so I can better prioritize the piles! Maybe I should try the weekly goals as well. In no particular order…

1.) Go on a date with my husband.
    2.) Finish unpacking the house before our open house for the maternity home this weekend (or at least find places to stash the last few boxes!).
    3.) Finish dusting & cleaning the floors on the main floor and basement levels.
    4.) Plan, shop for and prepare a chili dinner for 200 people.
    5.) Organize office (or at least make it look neat before the open house).
    6.) Finish reading or listening to 1 Samuel.
    7.) Work another 13 hours this week.
    8.) Shop for birth supplies (due in just over a month!).
    9.) REST EVERY DAY. Been overdoing it lately and it’s causing exhaustion and contractions.
    10.) Plan menu and go grocery shopping.
    11.) Post as much as I have ready for a donation list on Facebook, blog, and print copies for the open house.
    12.) Finish planning and preparing door prizes.

Okay, so I couldn’t cut it down to 10…but maybe having it in writing will help!

17. Amy B says

Thanks for the inspiration! Now that my two oldest are back in school, I can get into more of a “normal” routine! :)

1. Get 3 year old back into her daily nap.

2. Do my quiet time every day.

3. Wake up early so we’re not rushing to school.

4. Take daughter to first gymnastics lesson.

5. Prepare for first AWANA lesson; stock AWANA art box.

6. Go to Target.

7. Figure out what to do with daughter’s crazy curly hair!

8. Plan trip to the mall to shop for fall/winter clothes.

I am an avid list maker, so I have been writing down my goals each week for a while. And, reading the lists everyone has posted has inspired me with some more goals I want to add to my list!

A few of my plans are:
    Read at least 2 chapter books aloud to my son.
    Read at least one chapter of the bible everyday.
    Exercise 1/2 hour everyday.
    Get the materials I need for the handmade cards I want to make.
    Plan ahead for two weeks worth of blog posts for my personal and business blogs.

19. Jessica says

Thanks for sharing this incredible article! I just finished my goals for the week thanks to your inspiration! You have also inspired me to have my kids also start their own goals each week. Since I don’t want to be too interfering, I will only be giving them support while they write them. Hopefully this goes well…
    Some of my goals are:
    1. begin planning my daughter’s birthday party
    2. find a cheap craft to do with my kids and ACTUALLY DO IT!!
    3. finish tiling the bathroom
    4. go to bed by midnight (I am a long-time night owl)
    5. check on financial aid for college
    6. make apple crisp filling and freeze
    7. begin reading daily devotions again
    8. call sister and remind her to come to church with me the night before

I love this idea…I just wrote up my list in my Busy Body Book. Here’s 5 of my 11.
    1. Clean out my son’s dresser of too small or worn clothes (maybe I can make that horrible faded stained t-shirt that is his favorite disappear! If anyone has suggestions I’m all ears)
    2. Mop the kitchen floor
    3. Clear all items from horizontal surface of my cubicle at work and wipe down with disinfectant spray…it’s getting pretty gross
    4. Walk a total of 2 hours
    5. Get my son to read at least one more book for summer reading list.

21. Victoria says

I love your posts on goal setting. I am not a big detail goal setter, but I do have a daily to do list that I rewrite each day, and thanks to your facebook posts I now take an extra minute after writing it to highlight the TOP 5 for the day. Exercising goals I do every spring as dread tread (treadmill) season comes to an end and I am able to get outside again. This year I started the season with a half marathon and will end it with my second full marathon and for something new to push my limits I signed up for my first sprint-tri. I love hearing about your running! having newbie’s join the ranks of running warms my heart. Running is my best planning time, prayer time, decompresesion time, girlfriend time, and renewal time. This marathon I plan to pick 26 couples and write their names on my arm, and spend 1 mile praying specifically for them. KEEP IT UP!!!

Hi, Crystal!
    One of my goals is to start those ministry cards. As a deacon’s wife, I’m figuring out it really is my duty, since he doesn’t appear to be getting going with them (I waited a year…it’s time to take action!) Where do you find a good deal on lots of cards? I’m not inclined towards the mixed box of dull, obligatory cards. Is making them the way to go? Then, where would I find deals on supplies?
    Thanks!

Cards as in sympathy, birthday, etc.? Definitely check out the boxed sets you can get through DaySpring (look on their clearance section). It’s much less expensive to purchase that way. Also, you can check your local dollar store.

23. Anna says

I am posting this kind of late but I had it in my head. Here is my list.

1. Make healthy lunches for the kids each day for school
    2. Walk 2 miles each day.
    3. Vacuum house thoroughly.
    4. Wash and put clothes away each day.
    5. Make a detailed menu and post.
    6. Make a detailed weekly schedule with all appointments written out.
    7. Say daily prayers for my children and my brother who is in crisis.
    8. Make a list of things needed done each day before we leave the house (lunches, back packs, medicine, etc.)
    9. Make a plan to declutter one area of the house.
    10. Cut coupons each day to get caught up.

This is a great idea!! I’m one of those Type A personality types too! I love making lists! The night before, I write a list of 10 things I want to accomplish every day (and then right by my computer I have a dry erase board to add things as I think of them (and that is my go-to list when I need to think of what to do the next day).