Freezer Cooking In An Hour: Corn Dog Muffins, Chicken Stuffing Casserole, Oatmeal Raisin Muffins, Italian Pasta Bake

Well, I sort of cheated for yesterday’s Freezer Cooking In An Hour session. First off, I baked the chicken during dinner the night before to save me time and then I gave myself two hours to accomplish my list instead of one. But I still got a lot done in a shorter amount of time — and that’s truly the point of why I challenge myself to do Freezer Cooking In An Hour each week.

4:00 — I set the timer, tied on my apron, pulled my hair back and got to work. I put the dough in the bread machine for Failproof Bread Machine French Bread. I started the ground beef, mixed the oats and yogurt for the Oatmeal Raisin muffins and started mixing up the Honey Cornbread recipe.

4:20 — While the ground beef was cooking, I chopped the onion to add to it and then went back to finishing the Honey Cornbread. I assembled the Corn Dog muffins and stuck them in the oven and then started the pasta boiling.

4:45 — In the middle of mixing up the Oatmeal Raisin muffins, I heard the familiar “mo-o-o-o-o-ma” coming from Silas’ room. I got him up and made popcorn for a snack for all the children and then sent them downstairs to play.

5:10 — The pasta was done, so I assembled the Italian Pasta Bakes and then took a break to clean up the kitchen. I really wanted to make the Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins and the Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge, but I was running out of time and energy. So I opted to just finish up what I already had started and save those to make later in the week.

5:25 — I pulled the oatmeal muffins out of the oven — yum! — and then started chopping up the chicken while the water was boiling for the stuffing. I couldn’t believe the children were still downstairs playing quietly! It’s a rare occurrence that all three of them play together for longer than 20 minutes without someone getting hurt or a fighting ensuing (we’re working on it, but it seems to be a slow learning process!).

5:35 — The chicken was finally chopped, so I put together the Chicken Stuffing Casseroles together. I then went to pull the French Bread dough out of the bread machine. So much for it being failproof. The dough was really stiff — way too stiff for French Bread. I tried to make it work, but I finally gave up. I think I better find a different French Bread recipe! (Anyone have a more proven failproof recipe to share? Or a suggestion of why mine didn’t turn out?)

5:45 — Finally done!

4 pans of Chicken Stuffing Casserole

12 Corn Dog Muffins (I used my Honey Cornbread Recipe and Beef Hotdogs. These are very yummy — for kids and adults alike!)

I small pan of Honey Cornbread

12 Oatmeal Raisin Muffins

3 pans of Italian Pasta Bake

Comments

1. Ami says

If you’re looking for a good french bread I highly recommend trying out Artisian Bread in 5 Minutes! I know its on your list and I made it recently with great results! Its really easy and delicious!

2. Stacy says

Can you please tell me how long you cook the italian bakes in the oven once frozen

3. Kristina says

LOVE the corn dog muffins. My husband wants to know if you have a healthier elephant ear recipe. If so we may have to skip the fair this summer. J/K :)

Thanks for the recipe!!!

4. Maria says

The freezer cooking in an hour concept sounds like something I should try. I’ve tried the all day thing and it was exhausting.

Crystal, the chicken stuffing casseroles sound yummy and I was wondering if you’ve thawed and cooked them before. I would be concerned that the stuffing would get soggy and the sour cream would break down from the freezing process. I’d love to hear how they come out!

5. Robin says

I just made the oatmeal raisin muffins for my family for breakfast! I just happened to have all the ingredients including the coconut oil! I increased the raisins to 3/4 cup and while the oats and yogurt were sitting I put the raisins in a measuring cup and poured warm water over them to plump them up since there isn’t a lot of liquid in the recipe. When the muffins were done we sprinkled a little brown sugar inside them, for a bit of extra sweetness. So delicious and fairly healthy!

6. Katrina says

I just made your corn bread muffins with hot dogs love them! I also am finishing my last batch of the raisin muffins and we had the pasta bake for dinner. I love that I have 2 more casseroles in the freezer too. I don’t think any of the muffins Will make it to the freezer though. Thanks for the recipes!

7. Angie says

Crystal,

My family loves the Chicken and Stuffing casserole. I’ve never tried freezing it (or any casserole) before. Do you just thaw the casserole in the fridge overnight and then bake as usual?

Thanks!

I made the Corn Dog Muffins today using your honey cornbread recipe and they turned out delicious. My 2-yr old was so excited when she found a “hot gog” in her “cupcake”! Thanks for the wonderful idea – my kids love the occasional corndog but it’s so unhealthy from a restaurant. I love having the option of making it healthier at home!

Crystal,
    I have chicken already frozen in the freezer and need to make it. I was wondering if I could cook the chicken and then add it too the Chicken Stuffing Cassorole instead of putting it in raw. I know that you should not thaw some thing and then refreeze…so I would need to cook the chicken and add it to something. If this would not work can you suggest another freezer cooking meal for this chicken. Thanks!

10. Michelle says

I tried the corn dog muffins and my kids were a little underwhelmed with the hot dog: muffin ratio. I made them some more with a whole pack of hotdogs cut into chunks mixed in with the batter and they liked them much better. Plus, the smaller chunks worked better bite-wise for my little ones. Thanks for the awesome recipes and all the time you spend photographing and recording your progress!