Homemade Frappuccino Recipe

Guest post by Sabrina at Kitchen Cheat Sheet

I used to work at a coffee shop, and I not only witnessed people coming in several times a day for an almost $5 coffee, I often purchased that expensive blended coffee drink as well!

A few months ago I made the decision to leave my job and stay home with my two kids. Needless to say, I needed to cut my budget to make this possible. One of the first money saving ideas that most people will tell you is to cut out your daily fancy coffee drink. Although I don’t need a fancy coffee drink daily — or even weekly — I am a hard-working mom of an infant and a toddler and it’s nice to have a little bit of luxury in my day!

How Much I Save By Making My Own Frappuccinos

Using a Magic Bullet, I am able to save over $300 a year (assuming I replace two Grande Frappuccinos a week) and still enjoy my fancy blended coffee drinks. Here’s a cost breakdown:

The Yearly Cost of Purchasing Two Grande Starbucks Frappuccinos a Week (at $4.15 each): $431.16

The Yearly Cost of Making Two Homemade Frappuccinos Each Week ($52 for Magic Bullet + $0.50 each per drink): $104

Total Savings the first year: $327.16 (including the purchase of a Magic Bullet)!

Using the above directions, I usually get a very smooth, thick but drinkable-through-a-straw texture. With all the money you’ve saved, you can afford to splurge on a reusable Starbucks cold cup, if it feels a little more luxurious to drink out of an actual Starbucks cup!

Sabrina Hartman is a new stay at home mom to a 2 1/2 year old and a 9-month-old. She loves to find new ways to save money to compensate for leaving the workplace, and is finding her inner homemaker in the process. She tracks her homemaking life and tips at The Unlikely Homemaker and offers a kitchen tip/guide site at Kitchen Cheat Sheet.

Want more make-it-from-scratch ideas? I highly recommend Easy Homemade by Mandi Ehman. This ebook contains more than 60 recipes for homemade kitchen staples and it’s beautifully laid out, well-illustrated, and packed with great ideas and recipes.

Comments

1. leslie says

love starbuck green tea frappicinnos…
    have tried my favorite green tea brewed strong and frozen into ice cubes and blended with heavy creamer and stevia…but mine didn’t come out close, good but not the same….
    coffee one always come out right
    today i’m playing around with a sugar free hershey syrup to pour in:
    1c water boiling; add
    1 c hershey cocoa pdwr
    1 to 1 1/2c powdered erythitol
    two dashes vanilla and dash salt

2. Amanda says

Is there a way to make it coffee free? I like frozen drinks but don’t drink coffee…

3. leslie says

hmm tempted me to try my hand at a sugar free hersey’s syrup:
    boiled 1 cup water; then, added 1c powdered erythitol, 1c hershey’s cocoa pdwr, dash vanilla extract and dash of salt, and teaspoon nu naturals stevia powder
    -not as sweet as original, but really good.
    will try this tomorrow in my blended frozen coffee ice cubes and liquid creamer.

4. Beth says

You could do the lazy version :) like I do. No need for a blender:

I just brew extra coffee in the morning and pour some into a glass and let it chill in the fridge. In the afternoon, once it’s getting hot out and I’m hitting the midday slump, I pull out my chilled coffee and add my frozen coffee cubes (I always freeze leftover coffee in ice cube trays, makes good iced coffee and keeps you drink from getting diluted.) and then add a little half&half and maybe some flavored creamer. YUM! Super easy, no extra dishes or blender to wash…just try to sit for one minute and enjoy my iced coffee. (With three kids 3 and under, sitting for one minute is asking a lot… ;) )

• senshimo says

I do this exact procedure EVERY weekend.

It is SO awesome to have ice coffee on demand, plus not wasting coffee.

5. Amber Rae says

Ok so I dont like cold coffee drinks but Im in LOVE with White Choc Mochas at Starbucks. I have looked and looked all over online and I cant find a recipe I like or looks easy!

Anyone have a frugal EASY recipe for hot White Choc Mochas???

• Mary Ellen says

Depends…do you have an espresso maker? It is difficult to replicate espresso drinks at home and use regular ingredients, but can be done. Ghiradelli sells a white chocolate flavored sauce which is one of the 3 ingredients in the Starbucks drink: espresso, steamed milk and white chocolate flavored sauce.

I try these sorts of recipes and unless they are using Starbucks coffee they don’t taste the same to me.

• Candice says

Brew two cups of fresh coffee, and keep it hot.
      ———–
      Pour two cups of half-and-half or whole milk into a heavy saucepan. Add three oz. of white chocolate. Heat over medium, stirring constantly, until the white chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
      ———-
      Add two cups of hot coffee to the white chocolate mixture. Stir to blend thoroughly.
      ———-
      Pour the white chocolate mocha coffee into large cappuccino mugs.
      ———-
      Top with whipped cream, and garnish with chocolate sprinkles, if you wish. Serve immediately
      ———-
      Read more: How to Make White Chocolate Mocha Coffee | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5118271_make-white-chocolate-mocha-coffee.html#ixzz1NqqKCQKM

6. gusmom says

I only have a blender so glad to hear about success with that.

However, i usually make pudding from scratch & don’t buy the syrups. Could I use cocoa powder (I usually buy that in bulk and it’s such great quality)? If I do that, what might help thicken it a little more?

• chris says

Pectin like sure-jell. That’s what the knock-off recipe I found used and its an ingredent on the bottled ones. It sounds better to me personally.

7. Eileen Ladwig says

Wow! Thanks for all of the yummy ideas. I make a chai latte drink in most mornings before heading out the door to the Spa. I would love more frozen coffee drinks to use in my Vita Mix! Keep the ideas coming! :O)

8. Cheryl says

I was wondering how much milk to use, if you don’t have a magic bullet. I’ll do these in my Vitamix, but wonder how the ice and milk quantities should translate. Thanks!

9. Chad says

Hallelujah!

I have always waited the day until I could find a recipe for something like this!

I’m gonna put Starbucks out of business…

10. ami says

We just made this and it is YUMMY!! thanks so much for sharing this recipe my daughter and I will be making this for a long time to come! I used skim milk, sugar free/fat free vanilla pudding and put one via starbucks packet in it, topped with fat free whipped cream, a very nice treat for us watching our calories!

Thanks again!

11. Melanie says

I just found a Magic Bullet kit at Walmart on the clearance rack for $22! So excited to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

12. Rebecca C says

This is my favorite recipe to replace a Starbucks Caramel Frappaccino:
    Starbucks-style Frappuccino (http://inashoe.com/2009/08/homemade-starbucksstyle-frappuccinos)

Makes 2 grande (16 oz each)

3 cups ice
    1 1/2 Tbs. instant coffee – I use decaf. A good national brand tastes best, but even the cheap stuff will make you regret you ever paid $4 for a frap.
    3 Tbs. granulated sugar
    2 cups milk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 cup heavy cream – Not strictly necessary, but makes it even yummier. Try this at your own risk.
    Blend til smooth and enjoy. Drink with a straw. Remember to share, because this was 2 large servings.

options:

Mocha: add 2 Tbs. of unsweetened cocoa powder.
    Java Chip: blend in chocolate chips
    Caramel Macchiato: replace the sugar with a 1/3 cup of caramel sauce.
    Get really fancy and top it with real whipped cream.
    Try drinking it all yourself.

13. Brooke says

That looks good. I’m a little leary of instant pudding mix though? I have Torani sugar free vanilla syrup, and I’ll have to check out Amazon.com for more syrup. I’ve been looking into ways to make my own iced coffee, and I recently read where a french press works the best. You can actually let the coffee set in it overnight- for 12 hours. You do this using room temperature water. What you have after 12 hours is a coffee concentrate that is good in the fridge for up to 2 weeks! It doesn’t go bad or get bitter. Oh, I also found a french press on Walmart.com for $13 on clearance. It’s pretty nice. They make some pretty good coffee and they are super easy to use.

14. Maria Mongillo says

I made it and it was Fabulous!! Tasted just like a Starbucks! Seriously!
    1 1/2 cups ice
    6 ounce coffee
    Hershey Syrup
    a little half and half

I used a chocolate raspberry k cup coffee.

• Jen60647 says

Maria… just made your recipe because we don’t keep pudding. Didn’t use half/half either but used vanilla soy milk. Delicious! Thanks for sharing it.

• Maria Mongillo says

:) So happy to hear!!
        I was very surprised how close it tasted to a Starbucks.
        Happy Memorial Day <3

• Maria Mongillo says

I used a standard blender. But I did use the semi-crushed ice that comes out of my ice maker.

15. Candice says

Just made this recipe this morning after pulling weeds and tossing water balloons. I only had chocolate pudding mix in the cabinet,
    so I used that and added two dashes of cinnamon, I used french vanilla folgers and half&half. I used my regular Osterizer blender. My fridge offers crushed ice so I guess that helped since I do not have a magic bullet. This is a nice recipe, very tasty and it came in handy on such a hot day here in Tenn, ………yum
    I love that some people used caramel sauce, I will try it next time. I have already sent a few of my gals these ideas that everyone has submitted.

16. Jess says

I’ve literally had this every morning since you posted it!!!! The original recipe is right on target….I use chocolate pudding and add a squirt of hershey’s choco syrup. DELISH!!!!

17. jen says

I made this according to the recipe of the original poster. I love it and am surprised at how good it is. I will use less pudding next time as I found this to be too sweet for my taste but the consistency is great. LOVE IT! This will be my new afternoon coffee using my leftovers in the carafe from the morning!