15 Ways to Save Money on Gasoline (Part 1)

1. Have a cash budget for gas.

We used to always pay for gas with our debit card, but while we tried to stick with our allotted budget, we found it was easy to go a little over every month — especially with fluctuating gas prices. We switched to using cash only for gas last year and we’ve seen a decrease in our gas budget. Why? Because we are more mindful of our gas usage and because cash forces us to stick with our budget.

2. Buy lower-grade fuel.

Unless your vehicle requires higher grade fuel, there’s no need to spend the extra cents on it per gallon. While it might not seem like much, those extra cents add up quickly!

3. Observe the speed limit.

Each vehicle is different, but typically gas mileage plummets when you drive over 60 miles per hour. In fact, it’s estimated that for each five miles over 60 miles per hour you drive, it’s the equivalent of paying an additional $0.24 per gallon!

4. Combine errands.

Have a general rule of thumb that you won’t go out shopping or running errands unless you have at least three stops to make. Before you go, map out the most efficient route. Not only will this save you time, it will also lower your gasoline expenses. Plus, you’ll likely carefully consider whether or not that quick trip to the store for milk or bread is worth it or whether you can make-do with what you have on hand.

I’ve also found it helpful to limit errands and shopping to one or two days per week and to work errands or shopping trips into driving I’m already planning to do. For instance, if I’m going somewhere close to the health food store, I’m going to try and work in a stop there to save me making an extra trip later in the week. It only takes a little bit extra time and it costs me almost nothing in fuel since I’m already going to be driving by.

5. Drive a fuel-efficient vehicle.

If you have more than one vehicle in your household, use the vehicle with the highest miles per gallon as often as you can. According to FuelEconomy.gov:

A vehicle that gets 30 MPG will cost you $880 less to fuel each year than one that gets 20 MPG (assuming 15,000 miles of driving annually and a fuel cost of $3.52).

Over a period of 5 years, the 30-MPG vehicle will save you $4,400.

Jesse’s car gets better gas mileage, so we’ve been piling into it for much of our driving as a family. With three car seats in the back, it’s a tighter squeeze than our roomier minivan, but the cost in gas savings is worth it.

Planning to buy a car in the near future? Aid your decision-making by using the Fuel Cost Comparison Calculator.

6. Travel during non-peak hours.

As much as you possibly can, plan your trips when it’s non rush-hour traffic. You’ll get to your destination(s) more quickly and you’ll conserve gas.

7. Consider using public transportation.

While public transportation might not seem feasible for you, if gas is eating your budget alive, it’s worth checking into. According to a study by the American Public Transportation Association, you can save close to $10,000 per year by using public transportation.

Of course, this number is going to be inflated for you if you don’t work outside the home and have a regular commute, however, it’s important to note that this figure was based on a $2.75 per gallon price. With most of us paying at least $3.50 to $4 per gallon, if you have a daily commute, the savings could even be higher than $10,000 per year if you use public transportation!

To be continued next week…

How do you save money on gas?

photo credit; photo credit

Comments

1. Ann says

I can’t wait to hear what you have for us next week. I’m a Home Health nurse and do a lot of driving. I try to group my clients together that live close together, but that doesn’t always work.
    I do try to run my errands when I’m already out. I’ll sometimes carry my CVS list and coupons, so that if I’m near a CVS (there seems to be one on every corner around here anymore), I’ll make a quick stop.

2. Danielle says

Crystal, what kind of car seats do you have that you can fit 3 in the backseat?? Of course, we’ll be adding another baby to the family soon, so I guess it won’t matter; but when we added the 3rd child, I just couldn’t find one slim enough to fit into between the other 2.

• Lauren says

I replied earlier also, but the Sunshine Kids Radian is what we used to fit 3 across the back seat of our Pontiac G6. I have 2 Radians and a booster, and in the other car, a Radian, a regular toddler booster (Evenflo?) and a seat belt booster. I managed to configure them all by myself at 9 months pregnant too- it can be done!!!

• Krista says

I have this problem, too. I can find narrow seats (like your Radian), but most are too tall/long to fit in my car rear facing. My 7 month old is about to outgrow his infant carrier (19#, 29″ – limit 22#, 28″) but we haven’t been able to find a convertible carseat that will fit in our car rear facing without the front seat pushed all the way up (which won’t work for us since we’re both tall). Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

• Anitra says

Krista: We have the same problem. Even with a relatively short convertible seat (Cosco Scenera), we had to push the passenger seat in front ALL the way up in our sedan. (Basically, the car could not fit anyone besides a driver and the baby.) We ended up getting a big family car, since we were about to need a new car for my husband’s commute anyway (he now drives the sedan).

Check the car-seat.org forums. They might have a suggestion for you.

3. Cindi says

We do a few things:
    - Sold my minivan to get a manual-transmission wagon (and put in three skinny car seats to fit the kids in the back)–went from 18 mpg to almost 30!
    - Combine trips, when possible (though I still end up shlepping the kids all over)
    - Use the GasBuddy app on my phone to find the lowest gas
    - Use the gas station at either Safeway or the one associated with King Soopers/Kroger, wherever I’ve accumulated enough points to get 10 cents off per gallon
    - Keep my display on my car set to ‘instantaneous mpg’ — I can instantly see when/how my mileage is dropping and drive more smoothly to try and get the best number!
    - Keep the car well maintained to ensure I’m getting the best mileage
    - Oh, and shortly we’re moving to another state where we purposely chose a house within walking/biking distance of the grocery store. It might not always be reasonable with groceries for a family of 5, but for smaller trips, it will be nice to be so close!

In addition to all these great ideas, I will add: Get regular maintenance on your car, including oil changes, filter changes, fuel injector cleaning, checking your tire pressure, etc. I recently noticed that my gas mileage was decreasing greatly. It was at 14 mpg in the city, when it used to get 21mpg!!! I thought it was due to the ethanol they put in the gas this time of year, but our car started to run pretty badly. After a check-up at the car doctor (ha), I found out the cars fuel injectors were clogged. I had some other routine maintenance done, and the so far the car is running better and is getting its previous gas mileage.

• Amy says

Good for you! Not cleaning the fuel injectors is what killed my old Camry–cost nearly $2000 to repair all the damage caused by improper maintenance. Now I’m reformed, and I do whatever they tell me to at the oil change places. :)

I wish I remember where I read this… but, it is best not to fill your tank while the gas station is filling up theirs. It stirs things up and you can get gunk in your engine.

Also, one thing that I have FINALLY learned! It is always better to get gas at a slightly higher price, than to run around on fumes waiting for the better price. I have bought at least 2 of those red tanks and walked back to my car in my 20+ years of driving!! ;) (slow learner, I am…)

6. Amy says

Six years ago we treaded in one of our cars and purchased a scooter (65 mpg) which my spouse drives to work. The following year we made the decision to acquire a diesel car & converted it to run on waste vegetable oil which we obtain for free from local restaurants. These two actions have saved us thousands of dollars in fuel costs.

• Anna says

Is it pretty usual to get the WVO for free? My husband is dying to get a diesel and convert it.

• amy says

For the past 5 years we have gotten all of our WVO for free. I admit I was concerned initially about our ability to acquire a source of WVO and the process of networking, making connections & asking various owners took about 4 weeks before we found a restaurant willing to enter into a verbal agreement. I think one of the challenging elements for us was that we were new to the area and didn’t have many relationships we could build upon.

When we were initially considering converting to WVO the website http://www.greasecar.com was incredibly helpful. I’m not affiliated with them in any way but just recommend their knowledge base if you have questions/concerns. It’s not an option for everyone but it’s been a huge money saver for us.

7. Coupon Christy says

We save money on gas by turning off the engine while waiting for a train to pass.

My grandpa used to tell me “It takes more gas and more wear on the vehicle to turnoff and restart then to ilde for 10 minutes”. My grandpa was a mechanic and would get so mad at me for turning my car off to run in his house for a few minutes.

• Becky says

My husband is a mechanic and he disagrees. I think that was true at one time, but no longer. Cars are built differently (and hopefully better) these days.

• Lana says

I do that too. I have to pass an intersection on my way into town where I often get stopped by LONG trains and I just roll down the windows and shut off the engine. I know the pattern of the lights and sometimes it is 5 minutes after the train before my light is green so I just wait. It could easily be 10-15 minutes that I save by not idling there.

8. Adrienne says

I am going to argue always buying lower grade gas (#2) because we’ve experimented with our last two cars (both older 10 years old and one of them is now 14 years old) and found that as the gas price climbed, it was cheaper to buy the highest grade gas.

With the green car (10 years old) I found that a tankful of highest grade gas let us go 325 miles while the lowest grade only let us go about 250. In that car, that was equivalent of 1-1.5 gallons of the lower grade which at the time was 3.50 in california. If I spent $2 more per fill-up to buy the higher grade gas which meant I saved $1.50 per fill up AND I was reducing how much repairs our poor old car needed.

It was the same with our white car which we still own and it’s 14 years old, although the tank is smaller so it’s not as drastic each time. That said, this car likes the premium even more and doesn’t grind and make horrible sounds the way it does on the cheaper stuff which makes us more confident about driving it long distances, such as for DH’s commute. (We miss the public transport available to us in Cali for sure!)

Obviously, there price point at which this does not make sense (for us it was under $3 for the cheap stuff, but when the gas was close to $5 per gallon in California, it made major cents (and dollars) to get the premium gas. I haven’t done the experiment in our (new to us) van yet, but mostly because the gas mileage fluctuates depending on if I am driving in town our on the interstate.

• SoGoodHeart says

Your absolutely right about higher-grade fuel giving you more miles. My husband and I are in the auto industry and we both vouch for higher-octane fuel as being better for your wallet and your car!

9. Sara says

I used to take my oldest year old to a library that had a “move with music” class. With my second I decided instead of driving 30 minutes and searching for parking I would just do the class at my house. I bought some “shakers” to add to our play instruments we already had, read a story and play music off my ipod! We have 4 kids in the neighborhood come over and so far everyone likes it. Saves me an hour of time and gas!
    That is one of the ways that I just dont make as many trips as I used too. Being more concious of our budget and a toddler who hates to shop has cut down on shopping, which of course saves on gas.

10. Tania says

I appreciate the thought for these ideas but don’t think that they work well for many people. Largely in part because there is the time versus money issue. At my last job, I could take the bus to work and get there 1.5 hours later (3 hours each day) or I could drive an be there in 10 minutes (20 minutes each day). The calculator for our local bus company even agreed that it was the cheaper option when all other costs were included (gas, insurance, maintenance, etc.).

For us, we only use the car for “pleasure” (aka: going to the zoo) or chores so every day tips don’t work for us anymore but I’d love to hear more solutions for those who don’t use a car to commute. Come on, whose got ideas? Thanks!

• B says

In at least my area public transportation is extremely unsafe. There are rapes/kidknappings often on the bus lines.

My father used to utilize public transportation and my parents discovered it was not saving them as much as they had thought it would. Not to mention it was “costing” my dad a huge amount of time.

Also, sometimes buying the lower grade fuel isn’t the most cost effective purchase.

My job requires use of my own car. So establishing a gas budget is not even an option.

• Rachael says

Thanks for this different perspective. We live in a very rural area with no public transportation at all, so we are stuck driving a lot.

11. Anne says

We have a Price Chopper and a Weis where we live. Both grocery stores have a deal where when you spend $50.00 in groceries, you get .10 cents off per gallon. 20 gallons max. With our family of 8 we spend a good amount of money on groceries so it adds up fairly quickly. Just yesterday I saved .40 cents a gallon. My gas light was on yesterday, filled up to the max of 20 gallons and still did not have a full tank (almost), and it still cost me 71.00! If prices get much more expensive we will need to come up with some alternative!

I understand how it’s easy to go over budget using a debit card (we do it sometimes), but often I am refueling when I’m alone with the kids, and the convenience of paying at the pump is paramount.

One thing I’m considering is getting the QuikTrip (a regional gas station) debit card, so we can at least save some money/gallon and still not get back into using credit.

13. Carla Sorensen says

This is one area I have not been as frugally minded as I should. Thanks for the reminders and the ideas. I normally have not thought too much about this. I just drive where I want to when I want to! Not good!! My husband has two jobs, both basically out of the home, and we only have one car to share, so we do save a lot that way, but could do so much better. I may even consider walking to the local grocery store. It is not *that* far.
    Thanks again and God Bless You all.

We do something similar to Elizabeth, by buying gift cards at Speedway. Not only does this help our budget but we get bonus points by buying a $50 gift card and when we get enough points we can get free gift cards for gas or restaraunts. When we are organized and work is going well we like to bless others with these cards…the single lady who will never go out to eat with her own money, the minster who drives everywhere without being compensated, etc. Sometimes we are in a bind and need the gas cards to get us through to the end of the month but it’s such a blessing to be able to give to others.

I plan my shopping trips to save gas and time. Running up to the store for 1 forgotten item can also waste money and gas.

I love shopping at Trader Joe’s but it’s a haul for me. I only shop there if I’m planning a trip to my mom’s since she’s so close.

We live 2 blocks from a grocery store. For small things like a loaf of bread or something we walk (weather permitted, we live in iowa) we also walk to and from school when weather permits, it’s across the street from the grocery store. We drive an f150, it was the only option and are trying very hard to save for something more economical, even if it is an old beater. I hate that we have to spend so much on gas!! it is the biggest part of our budget outside of rent!

17. mary g says

i use shop n save gas points for sunoco. I dont like shopping there much so i gave one of the key chain cards to my dad who doesnt drive and likes that store. so we add them up together for my car. he usually gets it up to .85 off a gallon by himself

18. Sara says

We don’t save on gas! I will always find the cheapest gas but around here there are no public transportation options and walking/biking is extremely unsafe along the busy, country roads. Neither of our cars get good gas mileage and we have the van of the family so it’s always our car we drive when going out to dinner with everyone. We also live 25 minutes away from church. We make that trip eight times a week at least. Our town doesn’t have all of the shopping we need sometimes too, so add another 30-35 minute trip into town. One major unexpected blessing to my husbands new work from home job is the gas cost though. He was driving to work every day…about 40-45 minutes one way. At least now it’s my car we’re driving into the ground.

• Sara says

As a side note: Cash for gas isn’t even worth my trouble. I fill up the car more often than not and if they don’t have a pay at the pump, they don’t get my business!

19. Lana says

Back when Publix had the $50 BP gas card for $40 deal and did not limit them I bought $300 worth at once. We found out that only using BP gas gives us an average of 4 more miles to the gallon. I had always had the mindset the buying the cheapest gas was the best thing to do but I have found that the really cheap gas gives me way less miles. I get the worst milage on gas from Sam’s.

20. Charity says

While reading this post and the comments, I giggled, realizing that I haven’t filled a vehicle up with gas since I met my husband! I don’t even know where the lever is to open the little door to fill up the gas in our minivan! Am I spoiled or what? :D

21. melissa says

Someone might have said this already. Know about what rate of miles per gallon your car gets. Then figure out (google maps, perhaps) how many miles your round trip is. Then you can figure out how much it will cost to get to a place and back. I did this once when AFTER I traveled 20 minutes to a Half Price Books to sell a box of books. They gave me about $14 for my items, but it cost me nearly that much in gas for my round trip. Doh! I should have thought that one through a little more! Luckily, there’s a Half Price Books much closer to us now. But that was the lesson…have an idea of what your trip will cost in fuel.

22. A.S. says

I agree with “Amy” (one of the 1st comments). This isn’t an area where I’d ever like to worry about budgeting/dealing with cash. We keep our car up-to-date (maintenance-wise) and fill-up at the least $$ station in our area, which is fortunately in our town, and also do the other items mentioned, such as ease up on the gas pedal, etc. My husband and I both drive to work (there is no other option, as we live and work in the suburbs), and when together, we use our sedan versus SUV. I personally prefer to cut back on dining/entertainment/etc. and do a lot of couponing than to worry about a budget for gas.

23. Anna says

Lots of great comments and tips here!

Wow, I can’t imagine spending so much on gas that you could save $880 in a year by changing a few things! A couple years ago when the price of gas was half what it is now, I spent $167 in a year on gas. That included driving to school and back weekdays, to work and back several times a week, shopping, trips out of town, etc. But most of these things were within ten miles radius. I can’t imagine a 35 mile commute, especially the time it takes!

I love driving a stick shift. There are so many things you can do driving one of those to cut down on gas. We live in a very hilly city, so I get a lot of coasting in. And of course, as others have mentioned, coasting into red lights, going the speed the car likes, etc.

As Tania said, the time wasted in public transportation is huge. Not to mention inconsistent bus times, leading to being late sometimes when you’re counting on catching that second bus.

If there is someone knowledgeable about vehicles in the house, you could get a diesel and make it run off of filtered waste vegetable oil that restaurants discard. :) But of course, there is a big coast initially.

24. chris says

Moving is my method of saving gas.

DH and I both had long, crummy commutes and it was actually cheaper to rent a house closer to work and leave our other house empty (because of our savings in gas and childcare). Then we found a good tenant for the house that we own and had lived in for the past nine years and now we are way ahead finaicially as a result and are fitter (because we no walk to work) and have way more family time (because we are spending 12 hours less per week driving). A bit unconventional, but it worked for us.

Unfortunately we figured out that there really isn’t a way for us to save money on gas right now. We have 1 vehicle, it’s driven to work 5 days a week (could commute by bus but the 75 minute daily commute would turn into a 240 minute daily commute… not an option to commute 4 hours a day!)… and we figured out our mileage for last year. After we subtracted the work commute, we were driving an average of just 12 miles a week. That’s the store and church (sometimes). :) Not ready to cut out those two yet, heehee :)

26. maggie says

One tip: if you have Amazon Mom, use the Free Prime shipping for those things you forgot to get at the store. If they are truly “need” items, use it to save you the time, gas, and other impulse buys. Just bought a $3 formula sorter on Amazon to save me the effort (and temptations!) of taking the kiddos out to Target.

27. CJ says

Taking the bus to work would actually cost me more per day – $4 in bus fees vs. less than $4 for the gas that I would use for my 16 mile round trip. I work odd hours that would make taking the bus inconvenient or even not possible some days. And I wouldnt be able to get my errands done to and from work, so I’d actually use more gas having to do those errands on non-work days. My biggest saving on gas is using my Discover gas card, I get 5% back on all my gas purchases. I live close to Walgreens, the bank and post office so I walk to those to save gas.

28. Amy says

We just bought the ugliest 1996 Suzuki Sidekick for cheap and for cash it a has a 4 cylinder and 5 speed so we will save money by driving this and parking my husband’s 2500HD Chevy pickup.

29. Kristen says

I agree with this to an extent – with the exception of using a lower grade fuel. My husband is super vigilant about making sure we are getting the most for our money and actually did an experiment using two different grades of fuel in our truck. He found it’s actually more cost effective to use the higher grade because our truck got an extra few miles to the gallon on average over the lower grade. So, depending on your vehicle it may actually be more cost effective to use a higher grade fuel.

30. Margaret says

I know this will go against the grain, but I’m saving money on gasoline by buying PREMIUM gas for my 1977 Lincoln!!!

There was a gas shortage here one day. I happened to be in town and heard about it. So I went to the station to fill up. They were out of regular unleaded and the mid-way gas and only had PREMIUM High-Octane!

I filled up with it, since the prevailing rumor was that there would soon be NO GAS for nobody knew how long!

The next day, it turned out, the rumors were all false, and an actual gas shortage had been CAUSED BY everybody going to the gas stations and filling up on the same day!!! (I love it!)

But funny thing, I drove on that gas for much longer than usual, and my car — I admit, it is gas lover — ran much better, so much so that even with high gas prices, I still use only PREMIUM in my older model Lincoln.

I have a newer Saturn but it is in need of one more repair before I can begin driving it full time!

Till then, I’ve found it best not to focus so much energy on responding to a temporary situation with higher gas prices. It truly does not exist in my mind, and has not been a problem to me.

Number 3 does not make sense to me. No matter how fast you drive a car, the cost per gallon would be the same. Cost per mile would change, as you drive faster/slower, although the amount it would change by would depend on the cost per gallon of gas.

32. Rachel says

We tried the cash for gas thing and it was not helpful at all. My husband and I both have fixed (and long) drives to work, in addition to other errands, etc. While $300 was enough last month, now it takes $400 to cover the same amount of miles. And on top of that, it required my husband to go inside to pay for gas, subjecting him to the temptations of convenience store food and cigarettes (both of which he’s trying to cut back on). We decided it’s better to put it on our credit card (and get 5% cash back) and avoid the temptation of a convenience store than to try (and fail continually) to keep under a cash amount.

We do, however, religiously subscribe to “hypermiling” and were able to increase our gas mileage almost 40% on one of our vehicles!

Yes, cash could definitely prove to be a greater temptation in that situation. Thanks for sharing a different perspective; I appreciate it!

33. Jenny Lenarz says

While my husband finishes law school and we are living on one income, we find a way to drive to work together. He drops me off and drives on to school. It makes for a long day with me and the kids at the christian school I teach at (and they go to), but it is well worth the money we would spend if both of us were driving. And we drive a hybrid!

34. Blake says

At HEB they give you a 3 dollar off HEB gas coupon if you spend 75 dollars or more. And since we try to bulk buy, we seperate each transaction and get like 3 or more each time. And then go fill up on gas.

35. Jennifer says

When I was working (40 miles from home!) I was lucky to be able to carpool with 2 others. Also, we all signed up for a gov program in our state (Alabama) called Commute Smart. Basically it paid us, via gas giftcard, $25 for every so many carpooled commutes we made. Commute Smart also had a van for people who work in same areas. One person drives and they have designated meeting place and drop everyone off where they need to go. I don’t know if this is available in other states, but it is worth checking!

36. Jennifer Madigan says

My mother and I combine our grocery shopping into one trip. That way we each only drive every other week.

I do have a question though. I know that you have young ones. Are you able to fit all 3 kids into car seats or safety seats in the back of your husbands car? If so what kind of car does he have? We have a small commuter car for my husband but I can’t fathom being able to fit 3 car seats in the back. I wasn’t sure how you figured out how to do it :).

Thanks,
    Jenn

37. Stasia says

Carpool! I am a teacher and work at a school that is about thirty minutes away. That puts me out about a tank every work week. Fortunately there are two other teachers that live about where I am. We carpool and now we only have to pay for gas every three weeks. If we do this everyday for the whole year we could save around $1200 each!

38. Sheila says

One way our family has cut back in fuel is we now let our kids ride the bus home from school. We live about 7 miles from town and I was filling up twice a week at around $70 per fill up ( I have an SUV). My youngest son is really the one that gave me the push to starting letting them ride ( I am one of these moms thats like to take and pick up my kids from school), but honestly its one of the best decisions we have ever made. I am only having to fill up about once a week now and I am saving myself about an hour and a half in the afternoons not having to wait in the car line and go to two different schools. It definitely something to consider :) I would have never considered it if I didnt think my kids would be safe, but we live in a small enough community ( about 6,000 people) where I am comfortable with it.

I still take my kids to school every morning (bus runs at 6:50 and we are not up) and partly because I dont want to give up taking them if I dont have too :)

My Mechanic of a husband says keep your windows closed saves gas. It’s actually cheaper to use your A/C also running your car instead of turning it off/on again like to pick someone up or running into the store a second or back into the house saves.

40. Ted Newell says

Everytime I go out for a cup of McDonalds coffee ( 1.00 ) I was spending $2.00 in gas. I now make my own coffee. As a senior citizen I used to go out more often ro shop. I now limit myself to go out 2 days a week when the sales start.
    I also asked my children to call me instead of driving about 2 hrs. to visit.
    On a fixed income it is very hard to manage the cost of gas.

41. Kathryn says

We’ve done quite a bit of research on saving money by buying a more fuel efficient car. For us it’s just not worth it, the higher price for the car, and the higher price tag for repairs, (my husband can do many repairs on older domestic vehicles) is more than what we’d save in gas mileage. This is ESPECIALLY true with hybrid cars, that are expensive to keep up with as far as replacing batteries etc. even with the tax break!

42. melanie says

We have an SUV which guzzles lots of gas. We also live near a Kroger which has a fuel center. Our Kroger offers one point per every dollar spent at the grocery store. It also offers double points when you buy gift cards from the Kroger store. Points can be accumulated to get a discount at the pump. For example, I bought a $50 BP gas card, $25 Shell gas card and a $25 Subway restaurant card at Kroger. $100 worth of gift cards equals 200 Kroger fuel points, which in turn equals 20 cents of a gallon at the Kroger fuel center. Kroger offers many gift cards so I’ve learned to shop and eat out using as many gift cards as possible. You can accumulate as much as a dollar off a gallon, up to thirty five gallons per fill up. Since our SUV holds 22 gallons and our van holds 17 gallons. I use the BP and Shell gas cards til both of our vehicles are low. My husband and I take them to the Kroger fuel center and fill them both using our discount. Maybe a little complicated for some people, but its helped us save! Beware that the points do expire and do not accumulate month to month. This is a great strategy if you’re driving on vacation this year. Just buy you’re gas cards ahead of time at Kroger.