Grocery University Huge Sale! Grocery University Huge Sale! Current Price $8.97
Time Left at This Price!
Buy Grocery University »

Frugal Failure: So much for my beautiful Cinnamon Sugar Bread!

You know how I promised you the Cinnamon Raisin Bread and Cinnamon Sugar Bread recipe this week?

Well, um, I thought I had tweaked the recipe and worked out the perfect combination of ingredients. However, when I went to make a final batch to make sure it worked correctly, I made a serious mistake: I forgot to put the paddles in the bread machine!

So I ran the whole dough cycle without any paddles. Which, ahem, is a rather pointless exercise.

When I finally discovered my mistake, it was too late in the day to run another dough cycle and bake the bread, so I just let the ingredients sit until the morning.

In the morning, I tried to run the dough cycle again, this time with the paddles in. Only (you’re not going to believe this!), one of the paddles wasn’t in all the way, so only half the dough got mixed up.

Determined not to waste the ingredients, I ran the dough through yet another short cycle. It rose and rolled out normally and baked into a beautiful loaf.

But the looks of this beautiful loaf were very deceiving, because when I cut into it, I found a practically hollow loaf.

Oops.

The girls and I ate the bread, regardless of the mishaps, and it was still quite good. But I thought the filling needed a little more tweaking and, obviously, I need to get my brain cells connected better so I can make dough correctly.

I promise I’ll experiment some more over the next few days and hopefully be able to present a delicious and near-perfect Cinnamon Raisin and Cinnamon Sugar Bread recipe next week. Hopefully!

Note: Apparently, I’m not the only one with bread issues this week, since Tammy also had a similar mishap. I guess I’m in good company. :)

Comments

1. Lisa says

I feel better I am not the only one this week to have a bread mishap! My favorite standby recipe ,make it all the time ,
    When dough not kneading remembered forgot egg ,added another egg then still wrong it was milk I forgot. 2hrs later. Dumped it started over
    All ingredients , check . 2 hrs later still wrong. Paddles in trash from dumping first batch! Third time was the charm. ;)

2. Ann says

I’ve had my share of flops too – usually when trying to make it too healthy :) But a great way to use up flops (muffins, cookies, breads, etc) is to make them into bread pudding. Nobody notices if they’re a little soggy! You can also make a savory bread pudding – just add spices instead of the sugar and cinnamon.
    I really appreciate your real Mom site – no plastic fake Barbie doll stuff for me! :)

Oh, your poor bread! lol! The same thing happened the first time we tried to make break in the bread machine (a few weeks ago) – one of the paddles was out and it only got half mixed. Half of it was good! The second time we mis-set it to “quick” cycle which only works for certain recipes, and not the one we were using – so it was totally undercooked! Third time’s the charm though, since the last loaf we made was delicious! :)

4. JennyP says

Don’t feel bad I completely ruined a double batch of zucchini-chocolate chip bread. The baby started to cry as I was mixing it up and somehow I forgot the baking powder. I ended up with two flat and hard (not to mention expsenive when you figure wasted ingrediants) bricks that were not ediable. You win some…you lose some.

5. Heather Collier says

I still don’t see the recipe. Where do I find it so I can print it like the others.
    Thanks.

6. Ann says

To make this without the bread machine, how much time should be needed for rising? Does it just need to rise once or twice? I’ve had luck with a plain white bread, but it’s time consuming because it has to rise two separate times.

7. Melanie says

I was thinking of your post when I read in my breadmaker book that cinnamon is not a friend of yeast and that it breaks down the structure of the bread in the maker. Perhaps that was the problem!

8. AngelaE says

This is SOOO funny! I actually logged on here to check and see if I did anything wrong! Well, other than select “quick bread” instead of “dough”. I thought the dough looked really dry and wondered if I needed more liquid but, perhaps the higher heat, used to bake the quick bread instead of the lower heat used just to rise baked my bread instead of just rising the dough! AHHHH….

As I type this, my second dough cycle is running. I did add about a tablespoon or 2 of extra water since it looked so dry last time.