World’s Best Honey Cornbread Recipe

I’ve always wanted to find a cornbread recipe which is delicious — instead of dry and grainy. Well, when we were in Branson for a little getaway last year, we ate at McFarlain’s Restaurant. I took one bite of their cornbread and said, “This is it!”

And then I spent the next five minutes taking little bites and over-analyzing how they achieved such a perfect cornbread. All the while my husband is looking at me like, “Are you okay? It’s just cornbread, honey!”

But he did agree that it was out-of-this world cornbread and he’d love it if I could make it at home. So, I was able to get a copy of the recipe and, after making it at home, I can guarantee you this is quite possibly the world’s best cornbread — ever. My husband and children concur.

Comments

1. Julie says

We had your hamburger soup a couple of nights ago and it was a HUGE hit!! I wasn’t sure what everyone would think since not everyone in my family are tomato or cabbage fans. AND my 3 year old cries when we have soup, but EVERYONE loved it even my 3 year old. My eight year old daughter even asked me if she could have the soup for breakfast the next morning. :) We are having the leftover soup tonight and I am going to try this cornbread with it. Thank you for the yummy recipes!!

2. Pam Smith says

This is exactly the same recipe as the “Johnny cake” I made last year when looking for Caribbean dishes to prepare for my in-laws on their anniversary! We were surprised when we ate it, looked at each other and said: “Cornbread!”

Oh my, you ladies are making me want BOTH cornbread AND sweet tea! I like all kinds of cornbread but (dry and grainy or soft and cakey — bring ‘em on!). I’m going to try this recipe — maybe then my kids will eat some (they claim to NOT like cornbread). Usually, only my FIL and I will eat it. Thanks for the recipe and, hey, GREAT photos, Crystal!

4. Carrie says

Well, I’m a Yankee that likes savoy (not sweet cornbread). I made some the other night and my husband, who’s Eastern European, thought it was AWFUL! Too dry, too crumbly, weird consistency…everyone else all loved it hot out of the oven with a pat of butter, but my poor husband could not get his head around it – and he eats everything!

Maybe I’ll try your cornbread/cake and see if he prefers it. He eats a ton of sugar in his tea and coffee, so maybe the sweetness will make it more appealing to him. Thanks for the alternative :)

5. Brandie says

McFarlain’s does have pretty good cornbread. I live in Branson and we eat there on occasion. My favorite is the fried sweet potatoes LOL

6. Renee says

I can’t wait to try this recipe. I love sweet cornbread, like Boston Market’s and usually make that over regular cornbread. Although everyone loves it, it is almost more like a cake than cornbread. Hoping this might be a nice middle of the road recipe for us :) Thanks!

7. Louann says

Can anyone tell me if this is close to the Boston Market cornbread taste and consistency? That is currently the one that I like the best.

I can’t wait to try this! All of my previous attempts at making cornbread from scratch have been less that satisfactory ( and that is an understatement!)

Wow, I’m from the North, but I still have to admit, I’d say this sounds more like cake than cornbread!

I grew up on cornbread that’s not a sweet bread, but i have to say, there are cake-like corn bread varieties that I like too. I have always called the sweeter cake-like cornbread Johny cake. :)

10. Amy says

I just wanted to say thank you for all the time saving little tricks you are doing to your website – like the recipe print button. That is just so great. Thanks!

11. Erin says

I made this last night. It was very good and my boyfriend loved it too! Next time I may add a little more sugar to make it a little sweeter. Thanks!!

12. Sara says

Two-thirds cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of honey? Surely you’re joking!
    Authentic Southern corn bread isn’t sweet. Tea is.
    Just my two cents. I hope I’m allowed to disagree without being attacked.

Ok, I can’t believe all this talk about McFarlain’s and no one has mentioned the “special table.” Take advice from this Bransonite (or is it Bransonian): next time you visit McFarlain’s ask to eat at the “special table.” Try not to let anyone else in your party hear you asking, so they won’t question what makes it special. You’ll have a great time! Oh, and what DOES make it special? Well, you’ll just have to go and find out.

14. Charyl says

Just made this for supper tonite and It’s GONE already. Love it! And for the record, I’m a Southerner.

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! My husband has always been a fan of cornbread, but he says this IS the best he’s ever had. I would have to agree. My oldest son never really liked cornbread, but he says he actually liked this recipe and had seconds. I guess this one is going into the ‘keeper’ cookbook. Once again, THANK YOU!
    :D

16. Silvia Fuentes says

Thanks for the recipe, I made this today, and it was delicious. My husband who does not like cornbread, ate three pieces, he said it was good.

17. Pam says

I was waiting for this recipe. Thanks for posting. I love corn bread but when I try it myself it always come out dry. Can’t wait to try this one.

PS: Is this this most post that you have every received for a recipe.

18. Tara says

I made a pot of beans and your cornbread recipe. My whole family loved it. This is my new Favorite Cornbread recipe. THANK YOu

19. Betsy Durand says

Well….I am learning a lot, Crystal! This recipe is in the oven as I type and I thought I’d head back to your site (while it cooks) to see what the reviews said (an after-thought!). I didn’t realize cornbread could not be sweet and I’m from the SOUTH! :) Had no idea there was so much variety in cornbread! Loved reading all the comments… off to pull out this much-talked-about cornbread!