Vlog: My Very Simple Homemaking Binder

I was first introduced to the concept of a “Homemaking Binder” when I first started reading blogs almost seven years ago. I read about all these incredible and massively-detailed binders other women had put together and thought, this is it! This is going to solve my homemaking issues and help me have a beautifully organized home and life.

So I tried to make up an elaborate system but quickly discovered there was one major problem: The system wouldn’t work unless I worked the system! And because I had bitten off more than I could chew and was trying to make someone else’s system work for me, it left me more frustrated than ever. To be honest, I even felt like a failure when I just couldn’t make a Homemaking Binder work for me and it seemed it worked flawlessly for everyone else.

Over time, I’ve learned that it’s okay to do what works for me — even if it’s much different than what works for other people. So instead of trying to conform myself to another person’s system, I’ve set out to create my own.

This video tutorial walks you through what I’ve been using for the past four months. It’s working really well for us right now, though I can’t promise that it will be what I use for the rest of my life. I’m learning that tweaking and overhauling things as seasons and needs change is what works best.

But I share this in hopes it might inspire some of you. Please don’t copy mine — because it likely won’t work for you! — but I’m hopeful maybe those of you who are struggling with home management might be able to glean a few ideas from it.

By the way, all of the pages I use in my binder can be downloaded for free here. You can also read more details about our daily schedule here.

Do you use a homemaking binder or another system to keep your home and life in order? I’ve love to hear what works for you!

Next Monday, I’ll share the final installment of the Time Management series and then I’ll be posting at least 10 incredible guest posts on time management from readers here who are in different seasons and situations of life than me.

Comments

I love your vlogs! I used to have a homemaking binder, but I found it never got used. It was huge and overwhelming, and often got buried instead of looked at. So I came up with an alternative: I print out daily dockets and fill those out a week ahead, and keep them on a clipboard. They are easy to look at throughout the day. Then I have a personal size Filofax planner that I use as my “brain”. All my to do lists, calendars, info for the kids, financial info, etc is in there. It’s easy to take with me and the compact size means that I can’t put too much in there.

2. Emily says

Thanks for the inspiration! I had started a notebook a while back, thanks to LifeasMom’s ebook, but kinda stalled… after reading your post I finally finished it! I got this really great zippered Mead 3-ring binder from Walmart, that has an accordion file and some zippered pockets- I love it! Now I have a place to file all those recipes I want to try, and all the coupons I printed but haven’t clipped, plus I have all my paperwork for schedules, meal planning, homeschooling, calendars/important dates, contacts, and other miscellaneous info- all organized in one place! :)

3. Erin says

I love the quote about being an organized person trapped in a messy person’s body. My husband and I have been married 3 years and are still trying to find our groove when it comes to cleaning the house. We both work so sitting down and committing to doing chores every day after work feels like torture. As I try to make up the weekly chore list I am already feeling like I will fail at cleaning the bathrooms on Tuesday nights or mopping on Thursdays. Almost all cleaning happens on the weekends right now. I would love to hear other perspectives from working women on how to get cleaning done when all you want to do after work is relax.

You’re is so small, yet possibly do-able! I’ve made a few myself and ended up with a heavy binder that ended up on the shelf permanently.

I love your forms!

You know what inspires me? How simple it is. You are very right about reading other blogs and the idea that your household notebook should be this monstrous book of productivity and organization. I currently use GraceWorks Beautiful Life Management Pages and mostly they work for me. {Though I think I need a seasonal/monthly list as well for cleaning}

Anyway, I’ve been wondering if I’m missing out by not making a household notebook. This was encouraging..just do what works – for you!

6. Stephanie says

I have not been able to download copies of the forms that you provided online. Is there another way to access the forms?

Thanks!

7. Prathee Chandar says

Is there a way to edit these forms according to my schedule? Please let me know. It would be greatly useful