Celebrating a Simple Christmas: Snowflake Tortillas

Okay, so Snowflake Tortillas aren’t exactly a Christmas activity, but we included it with our planned fun family activities for this week anyway.

The girls had so much fun cutting the tortillas into different snowflake shapes.

Kaitlynn pretended hers was a mask (nevermind the un-matching clothes, she’s still learning that just because a top and bottom have pink in them doesn’t mean that they match!)

They thought the sprinkling with cinnamon/sugar mixture was the coolest thing ever.

Ready to go into the oven.

Fresh-from-the-oven Snowflake Tortillas. Yum!

Snowflake Tortillas

Recipe adapted from Mob Mom

6 tortillas
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Fold tortillas in half and then in half again (like you would make a paper snowflake). Use clean scissors to cut out shapes. Open up and brush with melted butter. Mix cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle over the tortillas.

Bake at 375 degrees for around five minutes. Let cool slightly and then enjoy eating your creation!

Comments

In our house–if it’s got pink in it–it matches!
    Good thing little girls always look cute :)
    Great idea! I might try this at the upcoming 1st birthday party for our youngest!! I’m sure he’d love them!

2. Samantha says

I did some of these last weekend and they turned out awesome. Thanks for posting the fun of your girls making these because Im just a big girl who had equally the fun.

Looks like you guys had so much fun! Thanks for sharing my link! We had breakfast burritos the other night and I’m saving the extra tortillas for more of these tomorrow morning–maybe a new tradition!

Sounds like a great way to use up my leftover homemade tortillas. (I tried making those for the first time the other night!) Thank you and have a Merry & Blessed Christmas :)

This is perfect, my 3-year-old is really into cutting stuff lately. Plus I have a lot of tortillas leftover from dinner the other night! Sounds so yummy!

Thanks for providing such a wonderful blog, you are an inspiration! Merry Christmas!

6. A says

What happy girls! Must have a fun mama! :)

Can I tell you that it is *secretly* a relief that your baking pans look well-used, like mine?

7. Tonya says

My husband is still trying to learn the same matching lesson. I’m sure she will get it before him however!!

8. Amy says

This looks great. My suggestion: to be more accurate, tortillas or paper snowflakes should be folded in thirds. Real ones have 6 points, not 8.

9. paula c. says

I made these with my son yesterday and we had so much fun. I let him get a little taste of the cinnamon/sugar mixture and he liked it so much i had to keep reminding him to put it on the snowflakes and not in his mouth. Everyone in our house enjoyed them so much that i’ll be making a big batch of them tomorrow. Happy Holidays to everyone. May you all be blessed with joy and happiness this season and throughout the year.

That looks like soooo much fun! I can’t wait to have kids and try it out. Or maybe I’ll just try it out with my husband, lol.

11. Jen says

We did this last week and it was a huge hit! Going to be a new Christmas snack tradition in our home :)

12. Elizabeth says

Fabulous recipe idea! Thanks for sharing!
    BTW, we have the same fashions at our house and it took me a long time to get over the jaw-dropping thought that my hubby took them out in public dressed as such! :)

• holi says

@Elizabeth, Or if you send your 3 yr old to preschool, then elementary, then middle school, then to high school & they wear uniforms…the poor child she finally can match her clothes! She was about 12 before she cared if she matched after school or on the weekends. I tried, we all tried. She just didn’t care! LOL!

13. carla says

I may have to try this with my grandchildren when they are all here. I think they would enjoy it a lot! Thanks for the idea.

I think your girls are adorable and so is your son!

Merry Christmas.

14. Katie H. says

Just did this with mine last week. TIP: If you feel up to it, you can actually “paint” little designs on the snowflake tortillas by using clean paint brushes and food coloring mixed with a little bit of water. Just paint on the designs then sprinkle with your cinnamon/sugar, then bake. So cute and easy! (Not to mention tasty!)

15. Lee says

My 7 year old FINALLY just got that just because both pieces have stripes they don’t match! lol… Picture a 6 year old wearing a pair of black running pants with a stripe down the side and a orange and white horizontal stripe polo shirt on. Kids, got to love them!

16. Nikki says

This is a great activity. My 5 year old would LOVE it. I may try it tonight. Since we are from Southeast Louisiana, it’s the only snowflakes we’ll be seeing at Christmas!!!

My kiddos (ages 14, 11, 7, 5) loved this activity. We’ve been having an “advent”ure each day and I thought this idea would seem rather boring compared to some of the more exciting things we’ve done as a family. I was so wrong! More proof that less is more. Blessings to you and your sweet family.

We made these for a fun addition to today’s lunch. We used our kitchen shears. The kids had a blast. Thanks so much for a fun food activity idea. Merry Christmas!

19. Lori says

borrowed this idea last night. My kids had a blast and my dh enjoyed eating the cut out scraps lol.

20. Rebecca says

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas! Thank you so much for all you do! You have saved my family a LOT of money over the last couple of years, and I am so thankful to have found you! :)

I may try this activity with my great niece and nephew. Their dad may like it to…at least eating the tortillas!

Thank you!

22. Julie says

In our house my kids pick their own clothes out and I let them wear whatever they want even if they match horribly! I don’ say a word….unless its for a special than I can override any of their clothes wearing decisions. For the longest time, my youngest daughter wore pink cowgirl boots with everything!!! Usually with shorts and a tank top. We would go out to the store, library etc EVERYONE would comment, and I would just smile! Here I have decided to pick my battles, and clothes that don’t match is not a battle I am willing to fight. Now clothes that don’t cover much of the body is a battle that I would be willing to fight, however we aren’t at the season just yet!!

This took me back. My parents never bought chips and Twinkies and things, so a tortilla with butter and cinnamon sugar was about my all-time favorite snack. Thanks for the memories!

24. Emily says

That is the cutest!!! What a great and easy idea! BTW, put butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on anything and it’s good. :)