P90X On a Budget: Phase One Downloadable Menu Plan

If you follow the Money Saving Mom® Facebook Page, you know that I recently started the P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout Program.

I’ve been feeling like I really need to intensify my workout routine and, after some research, my husband and I felt like P90X would be a good program for me to do. And everyone I spoke to gave it rave reviews. So, with my husband’s encouragement, I decided to go for it.

How We’re Doing P90X on a Budget

When I’ve told people that I’m starting this program, often the first question I get is: Isn’t that going to cost an arm and a leg? Well, it could, but I don’t think it necessarily has to.

The program is a little on the pricey side, but I was able to save up my Swagbucks and purchase it with Amazon gift cards I’ve earned. (I’ve heard you can snag copies on Craigslist or even from your library, if you’re looking to get a copy inexpensively.) So far, I’ve been thoroughly impressed with it.

My biggest challenge, aside from figuring out when I was going to fit a longer workout routine into my day (!), was determining how to pull off the nutritional program without breaking the bank. I really want to give this program 100% — which means I need to eat the P90X diet — but I also didn’t want to triple our grocery budget to do so!

After reading through all the nutritional material and doing further research online, I came up with a menu plan for the first thirty days (Phase 1) which follows the nutritional plan to a tee, but which I believe we can pull off without spending any more than $60 per week at the grocery store. Continuing our usual shopping of loss leaders, using coupons, getting most of our household and hygiene products for pennies on the dollar and shopping at Aldi will help to facilitate this.

Download the Menu Plan

If you’re interested in seeing the menu plan I came up with, you can download it here. The children are eating a similar diet, but I’m throwing in extra fruits and veggies and carbs for them. And since the exercise plan is only six days per week, I planned the menu accordingly. I’m taking Sundays off and will eat similar to the plan, but give myself a little breathing room and not adhere to it so strictly.

The menu plan is very quick and easy — and I’m sure some of you might find it way too simple and boring. :) But I knew that if I planned meals which required hours of work, though and effort, I’d be setting myself up for failure. My goal is to do all food prep for the entire day in less than one hour.

I also incorporated our weekly dinner out into the plan as well as a once-a-week treat of a Vivanno smoothie from Starbucks. If you wanted to follow a similar menu but reduce the costs, you could substitute these items for homemade foods.

We’re buying the protein powder and protein bars from Amazon using Swagbucks, so we’d probably have to tack on another $15 to $20 per week for those if we didn’t have the option of using Swagbucks. The protein powder and protein bars we’re using are comparable to the ones offered from P90X, but they are significantly less expensive. I’m drinking chocolate milk for the recovery drink right now, as that is also less expensive and is a good recovery drink, from the research I’ve done.

So, that’s the plan right now. I’m planning to sticking with this menu for the first thirty days and then will redo the menu when I move into Phase 2. I’ll keep you posted on how it goes!

And stay tuned on Saturday for a full report of my grocery shopping this week and how much we ended up spending.

If you’ve done P90X before, I’d love to hear about your experiences and any tips or suggestions you have for me!

Comments

1. Erin says

Does this menu plan mean you are no longer freezer cooking? It looks like much of the menu won’t freeze well.

2. Kate says

wow. I feel like I’ve been living in a shell. I’ve never even heard of it…lol

3. Jen A says

I did it! It was good – although time consuming. I did the “girl” version. Maybe it was called “lean.” Did the videos in a different order that the standard version. It’s in the book.

Am looking forward to doing it again, but for me it is a winter thing. In the beautiful weather, I prefer to run outside. Will do the 90 days again this winter in my basement. Hubby plans to do the same.

Our favorite food was the turkey meatballs (sweet & sour) I make them ALL the time. Enjoy & Best of Luck!

4. Heather says

What equipment is required for this program? I’m pretty sure a pull up bar is required, right? Does he give other alternatives. I could swing buying the program, but not so sure I could swing buying extra equipment. We have 3, 5, 10 and 20 lb dumbells, resistance band, aerobics step with incline (the transfirmer), stability ball, and a yoga mat.
    I’d love to do this with my husband.

5. Alison Armstrong says

that doesn’t seem like very many calories. I don’t know how you wouldn’t loose weight w/ working out that much and not eating too much.

How are you going to fit it in the schedule. anything over 30-45 min I can’t guarantee I can get through w/o a kid needing something. I can’t imagine getting 60 min in 6 days a week. At least not with the ages of my kids right now (4, 2, & 8 mo).

It’s actually around 2000 to 2400 calories per day — which is the recommended amount to eat for my activity level and BMI.

I get up really early before the children are up to workout. Otherwise, it doesn’t happen.

• Julie says

@Erin,
          Yup, I get up real early to get my P90X workout in too. I get up at 5 am so that I am done and usually showered before the kids get up. Its usually my youngest that gets up first and he will sit on the couch and ask if I am almost done. When I don’t answer him immediately (because I am busy breathing), he will yell, “MOM aren’t you listening to me?”

I love this program and could feel the changes immediately, but be aware it will take longer to see the changes on the outside than it will to feel the changes on the inside. For me it isn’t about losing weight, its about feeling great.
          It’s an extremely difficult workout, but it can be done if one sets their mind to it.
          Good Luck and keep us posted.

6. Charity says

My husband and I started P90X last August. We’re currently going through the program for the 4th time. I do the Lean routine, which is a little less intense on the weight lifting. I wasn’t looking to lose weight, but to get stronger…and feel great! We try to make good choices about what we eat, but don’t stick to a specific meal plan. I just tried the Chicken Burrito recipe in the P90X book last night…yummy! As Tony says, do your best and forget the rest!

7. Alyssa says

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! We (half heartedly) started P90X a month ago and their menu plan made me crazy! With 2 little ones in the house and my husband and I trying to follow it! I totally couldn’t shop the way I was use to, I tried for 1 week and spend a fortune. Anyways, then I tried to simplify it but having a different kind of soup with lunch and dinner everyday!?! Needless to say I just gave up! I do a few workouts a week and love the yoga one (never tried yoga before). My husband says August is our new starting date and he has to lose a little weight for USAF test coming up. This gives me losts more motivation in the meal plan area! I think that it is crazy that anyone would give you a hard time for trying to follow this, this meal plan or “diet” loads you with so many good things! I think that any change (at least for us) is a huge step in the right direction. And if anyone has tried to decifer the meal plan that they put out, they would at least see they want you to eat way more good food that, at least me, could ever eat. Thanks again!

8. Tiff says

My husband just last night had said something about the two of us doing the p90x. He thinks we both need it…and we do. I have been thinking about it to. He was worried about the nutrition part (he can’t do a planned diet) and I told him not to worry. THIS will help us out greatly. Thanks. I think once we get one week in, it will be easier to keep it up. Both of us think I should get a little fitter before adventure #2 into pregnancy. I know people who were fit before they were pregnant and were able to stay active during pregnancy. It makes labor, deliver, and after so much easier. It took forever to get my preggy weight off. Don’t want to do that again. So thanks again. This just confirms we should start it asap.

I’m on week 7 right now! This is my 3rd or 4th time doing the program, I love it! I’ve been following the portion approach since the recipes would require us upping our food budget, and it’s been easy. I mostly just eat egg whites, protein powder, soy products, tuna and turkey bacon for the protein and yogurt, cottage cheese and cheese sticks for the dairy etc. I buy my protein bars (20g protein) each week wherever they’re on sale and normally spend no more than $1 per bar. I bought a similar protein powder at GNC. Thanks for the suggestion of using amazon and swagbucks. I will check out your diet plan as well, thanks!

10. Patrice says

MY husband and I are just about to start P90X this next week, so this is perfect! Thanks for sharing. Since I’m not nearly as organized as you, I’m sure I’ll be “stealing” many of your menu plan ideas.

11. marney says

I’ve never heard of this either, but some people do well on a structured diet/exercise routine. However, my doctor reminded me that “the pavement is free” and I have two very willing walking partners – dogs!

I have been looking into exercise programs to get back into shape after our fourth baby comes. However, I have been on bedrest for a few weeks. I have been reading the comments about how hard the workout is. Do you think that it would be feasible to start this 6-8 weeks after baby comes after being on bedrest for a couple of months? Or do you think I should start another program first to build up to this? Just wondering what your opinion would be. Thanks!

I’d suggest starting with something a little less intense for a few months and then working up to this. It’s definitely intense and you don’t want to hurt yourself when you’ve just gone through a difficult pregnancy.

The menu looks great! Thanks for sharing! My husband and I are on and off of P90X, but we’re trying to get back “on”. My husband kept bugging me about downloading your meal plan so I just did! Thanks again!

14. Jen says

I’ve heard a lot of people talking about P90X but never really knew what it was. I’ve always been interested in fitness (and saving money of course). I’d love to try P90X, but this just isn’t the season of my life for it. I’m pregnant and so sick I can barely get out of bed to take care of my kids most days, let alone figuring out how to fit in 60 minutes of intense working out. Add to that the fact that anything other than white rice, toast or pasta (which obviously aren’t part of the meal plan) makes me extremely sick. Good luck and hopefully you’ll stick with it and I’ll be joining you as soon as I’m up to it after the baby comes!

Sounds like you need to follow my pregnancy mantra: “Do what works for you” — even if that means surviving on toast and applesauce for six weeks.

Been there, done that and hope you get to feeling better soon! It’s worth it in the end!

15. AllieZirkle says

First, I don’t ever comment because I never see you interact in the comments, but WOW! I see you responding so I’ll leave some comment love. :)

Second… The PDF is helpful for me in the sense of camaraderie. My husband & I are doing P90X and set up a meal plan quite similar to yours.

For the protein bar, we use the Clif Bar Builder’s bar. My favorite flavor is choclate mint, 2nd chocolate, 3rd PB.

For food, I make a big batch of tuna salad (4 portions) which we use for lunches on Day 1 & 3. We grill chicken and use this for lunches on Day 2 & 4. We also use the grilled chicken for dinners. We’ve had good success with Greek salads with red wine vinegar & olive oil for the dressing. Lunches for D5 & 6 are leftovers from the prior dinners, usually a protein turned into a salad lol (salmon, steak…)

Also, cheese sticks have become a great friend. Because 1 cheese stick is 1 oz, it’s easy to portion onto a salad, simply slice and toss in.

I prefer my fruit whole or sliced while my hubby likes his tossed into his smoothie. Chocolate strawberry shake is his fav. I prefer the chocolate shake with the strawberries on the side.

For exercising, we found a band system at Sports Authority (Lifeline Plugged Cables & Handle). This has been the cheapest system that allows us to customize our cables (bands) by weight without buying excessive amounts of bands. (http://www.sportsauthority.com/family/index.jsp?cp=3077568.3077640&categoryId=693940&view=all)

Thanks for sharing your plan! Looking forward to hearing an update on this in 30 days :)

AllieZirkle

• AllieZirkle says

@AllieZirkle, PS- We use the Clif Builder’s bars because they have the same nurtritional make up. I’ve found this $1.24/bar at my local WalMart and $1.10/bar on amazon. These prices beat the P90X bar ~$1.75 – $2.25/bar.

I’ve finally restructured my blogging time in the last month to be able to respond to comments. :) I can’t respond to all of them, but I’ve been doing my best to respond to those I can — so comment away!

Oh and I forgot to say, thanks for the input! As we progress into Phase 2, I’m hoping to incorporate more variety into our diet and your ideas were very helpful!

16. Paula says

Ok, I met you at the homeschool conference in your state and can’t believe you would even need to work out. Do you work out regularly? You were super thin! Amazing! I would be anxious to know whether or not you always work out or just occasionally.
    I thought you looked fantastic!

You’re kind! Yes, I’ve always worked out pretty regularly. I’ve just been wanting to bump it up a notch recently so, thus, P90X. :)

17. Abbie says

Anytime anyone gets up and exercises, it is a great thing. People need to move more, eat less and be more aware of the food they eat. If it works for you, go for it!! :-)

That said…

I really believe you don’t need to buy anything to get in shape. I used to buy different programs just to realize that I wasn’t going to stick with it. You know what I did? My husband and I made a goal together and we have been each other accountablity partners. We run (I’m NOT a runner), we bike, I walk. It’s all for free! We stick the baby in the jogging stroller, we pull a trailer behind the bike for the two little ones and the older one rides his bike. We go to the local school track and the kids run and play while we run. Now they are exercising too and a part of our activities! We eat in moderation. We are in the best shape of our lives. I looked in the mirror the other day and was confused by what I saw. Then I realized that it was muscle! :-)
    Don’t think you can’t have bread, just don’t eat a loaf. Have one roll. Don’t think you can’t have a sweet dessert. Eat one piece a couple times a week. Moderation is the key!!

You’re absolutely right that you don’t have to buy anything to get into shape. But I was really feeling like my walks to the park and regular workouts were just not pushing me anymore and my husband encouraged me to try to step it up a notch with P90X. :)

• Jen C. says

@Abbie,
      Abbie,
      Well said! That is my point exactly. No one should have to spend money to get in shape, or remove any food groups from their meals.

18. Jamie says

So excited for you! My husband and I have done P90x once (started it a second time a few months later… then found out I was pregnant… so I changed workout plans). we both loved it! It is so encouraging when you realize you are doing the entire Plyo without fainting! My biggest tip: get as much rest as you can! it will wear you out if you start slacking off on sleep. I love your menu plan, that was my hardest time with it. I may keep it handy for after the baby is born and I feel up to doing it again!

Yes, I’m finding I *have* to get 8-9 hours of sleep. And I’m still waiting to be able to get through Plyo without stopping and feeling like I’m going to throw up! :)

• Jamie says

@Crystal,
        haha, I can laugh only b/c I have been there. Just wait, you’ll be exstatic! such a milestone. I felt the same about the ab ripper, too though. But it is all worth it when you can see the results. Hang in there, you can do it!

19. Lesley says

Yeah! We love P90X. My 6’3″ 250lb husband, and me, 5’1″ and 116lb, can work out TOGETHER and we don’t have to take turns on gym equipment. We just have to take turns on the pullup bar, but we know the routine well enough that the waiting one just does the next exercise then we can skip on the DVD. We don’t need much equipment – pullup bar, heavy-duty stretchy band for my husband, and these dumbells: 3,5,10, and 35lb. We get up at 4:45am and finish by 6:30am. We don’t like the yoga (I go to yoga class instead) so we just do an extra cardio day and skip the yoga tape. And I can kick his butt on push ups!

Also I put the Plyometrics and Legs workout on my iphone, and now while my daughter is in dance I go to a quiet room with my little speakers, 5lb weights, and a mat and get an extra workout in that day. Since I don’t have the pullup bar, during the back exercises I just do some ab stuff.

This has been the BEST workout I’ve ever done, and I have been, in a past life, a fitness specialist trained under a famous (in the business) exercise physiologist!

We don’t necessarily view it as a 90 day program but just do the exercises as part of our regular workouts. Sometimes I thrown in other DVDs instead. We don’t do the eating plan as we already have a healthy, balanced diet.

Good luck!!

That’s awesome! My personal trainer started out with P90X (she did the entire program twice – with DOUBLE workouts her second time through). After you complete P90X you may want to check out Crossfit. That’s what my trainer teaches now. They’re killer workouts that really build and tone muscle, but most of them are significantly shorter than P90X. It’s a fantastic program and I’ve seen great results from it. Good luck!!

21. J says

I just finished 90 days of P90X. I didn’t lose any weight (i’m 5’5, 130 pounds), but toned up A LOT! It’ s great workout! I found that for me, I got best results when I dropped the recovery drink and protein bars (too much sugar in both). Have fun! It feels great to be able to do 175 push-ups in one workout! :)

22. Julia says

My husband and I are almost done with Phase 1 of P90X. As a nursing momma I am less stringent about the diet than my hubs, but we just cut out junk food for the most part. I think this program is sound, and it’s been wonderful for us. We can work out at home, work at different levels, and the equipment to start up was basic. My husband did a get a pull up bar, but I just use resistance bands we already had, and we borrowed assorted weights from family and friends. Our three month old is still little enough that we can work out and he just watches and laughs at us looking crazy.
    But following the diet plan exactly was not possible for us, and I think that’s just fine. We eat more lean proteins and veggies and watch our carbs and sweets. Of course he’s dropped tons more weight than I have so far, but that is the beauty of this program. I’ve been able to pace myself to avoid injury, irritation and… starvation lol. I was so excited to see the diet plan! Thanks Crystal. I like to think God Blesses our weight loss efforts, and your meal plan was definitely a blessing to me!

23. Paige says

I’m so glad to see this as I want to try P90X after having daughter #2 at the end of September (15 moths apart!). I want to establish good breastfeeding first and then maybe start in January-ish. I think that will give me enough time to get a good schedule going with my babies and start taking care of me, the Mommy. : )
    I love your blog and your willingness to share your experiences. I’m going to keep your menu plan to future reference.
    Yay Crystal!

24. Amy says

Hi Crystal-

Just an idea for a protein breakfast. I loved the Brown Bag Burrito recipe you shared some time back. I cut out sugar from my diet and added more protein and invented this recipe from the burrito recipe.
    It’s not an exact recipe. I use eggs, cheese, chopped up peppers if I have them, and use the La Banderita Soft Taco (Low Carb) shells from Wal-mart or I’m sure there’s other taco shells. These particular shells are very soft and don’t break easily. I scrambled my eggs and added the peppers if I used them in it . I put them on tortillas and topped with cheese. I then wrapped them up just like the Brown Bag Burrito recipe and they work the same way. Just pop them out of the freezer and heat up. Instant protein breakfast. They are very filling.
    Good Freezer Cooking Day recipe as well. :)

Thank you for sharing this. I’ve done p90x, but quit. I plan to start back up and it’s good to see how you have an alternative for food. This is very helpful.

26. Rae says

You do P90X? Oh geez, good luck convincing me that you are not superwoman now! :P Homeschooling, religious, good mother of 3, excellent blogger, bake/cook from scratch, debt free, money saver, clean house (yes even when you post the “excuse my mess” pictures), etc etc and now very fit? You may not be perfect but you are the closest I’ve ever seen to it… seriously you are inspirational :)

Oh goodness! Did you see my menu? It’s like the easiest menu on the planet. I’m basically keeping meals super easy for the next 90 days in order to carve out more time for P90X.

And don’t forget that I’m blessed with lots of help — a team who helps with the blog, a wonderful husband, a girl from church who comes each week and helps me with laundry and other household chores and lots of family nearby. If I didn’t have all this support and help, I’d certainly not be able to do what I do. And I have plenty of days where it feels like I’m failing at everything. :)

• Rae says

@Crystal, haha no I didn’t look at the menu plan I was just talking about the workout itself :P And I still think you are amazing :D

• Aimee - AR says

@Crystal, I didn’t realize the support you have but would like to thank you for letting us know! (Not that you don’t do a TON of course!!) It’s sort of like when you see the models on the cover of magazines and you think, yeesh, wish I looked like that and then see how much goes into making them look that way.

Anyway, love the idea of hiring a girl to help a few hours a week. I really need to do that as I think it would really help our family balance things a bit more.

Blessings!

Yes, it’s important for me to constantly re-iterate that I’m not doing this alone! I don’t want anyone to get visions of some superwoman or compare themselves and feel like they don’t measure up. I have a wonderful team behind this blog (I’d be sunk without them!) and am so blessed to have local support as well. And hiring a mother’s helper for one morning a week has been a huge, huge blessing for our family. I’d highly recommend it for all moms — especially those with young children.

• robyn says

@Crystal, Is the gal from church your “mothers helper?” Can you elaborate on what exactly she does/a mothers helper is? This sounds like something that would be very beneficial!

Yes, she’s our “mother’s helper” — which basically means she comes and serves as my right hand for part of the day. She usually always does a lot of our laundry and does some vacuuming and/or cleaning the kitchen floors. She also often watches the children for an hour or two so my husband and I can go on a date or run errands. It changes from week to week depending upon what needs to be done, etc.

I just realized I left a comment but didn’t give any tips which is what you wanted. But from the sounds of it, you are already into it a little ways! It is super hard but stick with it. My only tip is modify the moves if you have to. That is what I did for a few moves that I couldn’t do and though I couldn’t do everything they could do at first, if I kept moving and trying, I still felt great afterwards and it still worked my body. Have fun!

28. carrie beth says

This looks pretty overwhelming! I do have a regular fitness routine, but I just do not feel like I can give more than 30 minutes a day to that part of my life and keep things in balance. I guess that it is a matter of perspective, though- we all know what is best for us at different points in our lives.

29. Jerilyn says

I’ve heard of it and am interested in the future. I can’t do a lot of protein drinks right now though. I did alot when my baby was younger and man was he one fussy constipated baby! He might be fine now as he is older and on food but it made my life miserable!

I’ve been on a weight-loss plateau for 3 months and I’m doing the Jillian Michaels workout plan again, hopefully to finish losing the weight I gained while pregnant!

30. Hollynn Kidwell says

I have been wanting to try P90X but am concerned about the amount of time you have to invest. I noticed that several of the comments said the exercises are like 60-90 minutes a day. I just don’thave that amout of time to invest. I have 3 kids and a full time job with a 90 minute drive each way every day. Can you minimize the videos to meet your time availablility? I was also wondering about the Protein bars. They have so much sugar and not much nutritional value. Couldn’t you use something like Chobani Greek Yogurt which contains 14grams of protein, more than most protein bars. I eat this most mornings now.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can minimize the workouts and get the same effect. It is a big time commitment and one I didn’t take lightly. I talked about it with my husband for a few weeks and rearranged my schedule before committing so that I was sure it would work.

As far as protein bars go, I was hesitant, too, as I never eat stuff like that. However, since I’m eating little sugar elsewhere and the program highly encourages them for a variety of reasons, I went for it. I’ll let you know if I thought it was a good decision after ninety days! :)

• AllieZirkle says

@Hollynn Kidwell, I’m in the same boat :) 4 kids, 75 minute commute each way, and 1 of the kiddos is nursing so I’m a pumpin’ mama (on the road lol). I allot 4 am – 5:15 am the time to workout, 5:15 shower and on the road by 6. I work 7:30 – 4:30 and am home at 6. Dinner is prepped on the weekends to ensure we eat on the plan. Lunches are packed during dinner cleanup. Relax 7p – 9p, and we’re asleep by 9:30.

At this time in our life, it’s more important to get our health in check than to overextend ourselves and commit to man outside activities. Bible study group is on Wednesdays as is jr high youth group. We aren’t committed to anything else to ensure we have enough time for our children and our health.

Hope this help! :)

Um, so did you want to share your secret for pumping while you drive?? Is that what you said you do? If so, I think that is multi-tasking at its finest. :)

And I agree about streamlining outside commitments when you have young children. We rarely do things on weeknights and go to bed early.

Crystal! Thank you so much for posting this! I have been a reader for a long time and am absolutely thrilled to see this! I have lost over 115 pounds from beachbody products and follow a VERY strict budget. I try to encourage others to do the same but I am constantly told they can’t afford it. Thank you so much for sharing ideas on how to live a healthy lifestyle for less!

32. Candice says

My husband and I are doing this together and are on week 7. I have not lost any weight but have gained muscle as I have seen over 9 inches total lost, so I know it is working. My problem area after having two kids is my belly and the “new” shape it obtains, so I am anxious to see how it is after all is said and done. My hubby though has been doing great, he was overweight and has already lost 20 lbs and you can really tell the difference on him. I haven’t been following the diet plan as it was complicated for me when I work full time but just watch what I eat and drink the recovery drink on days we do weights. Probably during round 2 I will do the lean version for extra cardio as I don’t want to bulk up too much. My knees have been giving me problems though so this week I am going easy on lunges and squats to see if it helps…congrats and stay with it, so worth it in the long run.

Thanks so much for posting this. My husband is planning on starting P90X soon and I am afraid he will eat us out of house and home! I’ll definitely be seeing how we can use your plan :-)

34. Lindsey says

Thank you for posting! We bought P90x in January and I never really stuck with it. You and everyone who has commented has really made me want to jump back on the bandwagon and get my body toned again! I’m thinking about starting a family soon, so want to be in shape before I do, that way maybe its easier to get my body back after the baby! :)

35. Erica says

My husband and I just started the P90X workouts on Tuesday! It is awsome you are posting the meal plan on a budget!

Thank you for your menu! My husband and I are almost finished with Phase 1 and it has been difficult to not spend huge amounts of money on food. I like the simplicity of your menu. I do have a question however…when looking at the portion approach to the eating plan, you’re only suppose to have 1 dairy per day (at my level). I noticed that you often have 2 servings of dairy, one of which is usually frozen yogurt. So I am just wondering how you came up with the dairy servings and what kind of frozen yogurt you use (maybe it’ll satisfy my icecream cravings :)).
    Good luck with your program! I’m looking forward to your next menu.
    Bring it!!

The extra dairy falls under the snack category so it doesn’t count as a dairy — unless I read my book wrong! But I’m sort of in-between Level 1 and 2 (I’m supposed to have around 2000 calories per day plus a little extra since I’m still nursing) so I didn’t worry too much if I went over the allotments for Level 1 a little bit.

As far as frozen yogurt, I’m just buying whatever is the best deal at the store that is nutritious, too. :)

37. Rachel says

Crystal: I quit P90X after about three weeks because I just couldn’t figure out how to squeeze all the workout time into my day. I have to get up at 4:30 to do it but I KNOW that my husband and I benefit so much from having a workout plan in place. Freezer cooking the P90X way will help me so much. Can’t wait to see how you do it. Seems like most of the freezer cooking I’ve done in the past has definitely NOT been on the P90X plan (or even in the same universe) :)

Hi Crystal! I wanted to let you know that I run a P90x recipes blog where I’m posting new simple and cheap P90x recipes every day. I also have a food journal on there that I developed as I’ve been managing my husband’s diet as he does the P90x program. (I’m not a coach, it’s an informational site only.) Hopefully a few of the recipes might be helpful to you as you are following the nutrition part of the program! =)
    - CJ =)

@Crystal, Thanks, Crystal! I’m so glad that I came across your blog as I was researching all things P90x – I’m a follower now! =) One comment that it’d be great for you to broadcast to your readership – if they are buying copies of P90x used on Craigslist, Ebay, etc., urge them to make sure that the nutrition guide booklet is included in the documentation they get, not just the discs. The nutrition guide is not easily findable online, and Beachbody won’t sell you another copy unless you bought your discs through them, so there are tons of people out there that got the discs second hand and are very frustrated because they can’t find the guide info anywhere. I do have the “official” version of the nutrition guide PDF on my site that is missing a few pages, and I provide some recommendations for how to find the missing info. But people will save themselves a lot of grief if they make sure that they get the nutrition guide in their original purchase! =)
        I hope this is helpful. Good luck as you start P90x – I’ll be reading for any good tips on doing P90x on a budget that I can pass on to my readers as well!
        - CJ =)

I tried P90x for a bit, but just could not keep up with the daily schedule of workouts that lasted over an hour. My husband is a CrossFit certified coach so I started doing that instead and love it. I have consistently been working out for the last 6 months and have definitely seen results! We also follow a Zone or Paleo (Primal Blueprint) diet with very tasty and simple meals. I hope this helps if you find that P90x is just too time-consuming. I hope you can find a CrossFit gym in your area!

My P90X is in the mail! I can’t wait to start. My hubby is on board too! I have been thinking about doing this for a few months now. Your posts, as well as all of the others, have made me want to jump right into it. I am a nursing, work from home Mom of 4 kids, ages 5 yrs to 5months old. I felt like I have been pregnant for the last 6 years and am finally excited to get fit so that I can feel better for myself, look better for my hubby, have more energy for my kids, and serve God even better! Plus, it will be nice to get back down to my healthy pre-prego size! Thanks for your menu and all of the encouragement!

41. Melinda says

Just a few weeks ago, my friend Lauren & I started the P90 program. Since our friend Sarah can’t leave for an early workout at a gym (her hubby leaves at 5:30am), we go to her house and do it there…the 3 of us…in the living room. HYSTERICAL. This fall, we’re going to split the cost P90x program and keep going to Sarah’s house. On most days, we’ve also been able to take an extra 20 min afterward for coffee & chic chat. Getting in shape…refreshing my heart. I’m looking forward to your future posts on it. Go get ‘em!!!

42. JenS says

My brother and his wife just finished P90X and had great results. They were able to save costs on the diet by making their own protein bars. I’m not sure of the exact recipe, but it was a combination of protein powder, oatmeal, peanut butter, and a few other ingredients. I’m sure you can google the topic for ideas. They made a fresh tray each Sunday to have an hand all week. Just an idea.