Q&A Tuesday: Diaper Stockpiling

Having a Baby Without Breaking the Bank

With all the Huggies coupons currently available, I thought it was only appropriate to tackle a question on diapers for Q&A Tuesday! Here’s Margaret’s question:

I am newly pregnant with my first baby and I have a question about diaper stockpiling. I’m trying to stock up now since I know I have months before the baby comes and get the best deals as they come along and not be stuck running out and paying full price because we’re desperate. However, I’m not sure how to gauge how many of each size to stockpile. Do you have any advice as to how quickly your kiddos went through different sizes or any other advice on stockpiling diapers (or other baby items!)?

-Margaret

Congratulations on your pregnancy, Margaret, and thanks for asking such a great question! I believe one of the smartest things a mom can do is to plan ahead now for what she’ll need those first few months after Baby is born. It will likely be a busy time of adjustment, tiredness and lots of snuggling with a newborn… the last thing you want to spend it doing is making lots of trips to the store for necessities like diapers.

It’s hard to gauge exactly how many diapers in each size you’ll need since every baby is so different. Some babies are born big and don’t even wear Newborn diapers — they just jump right into Size 1 diapers! Other babies, like my first, are small and grow slowly and wear Newborn diapers for six weeks!

My personal rule of thumb is that I’d rather be over-prepared than under-prepared. Namely, I’d rather have a few packages of diapers leftover when my baby moves up to the next size, than to run out of diapers in one size and have to make an extra trip to the store (For some reason, in those first few weeks after having a baby, I never seem to realize we’re out of diapers until we’re pretty much completely out!). I can always find a home for extra diapers I can’t use — either giving them as a shower gift, passing them onto a friend or donating them to a crisis pregnancy center.

When Silas was born last year, I had enough diapers stockpiled to last for the first 3-4 months. I bought seven packages of Newborn diapers, since my babies tend to be smaller and slow growers (Silas has sort of shattered that pattern, though, with his rapid rate of growth — that boy can eat like you wouldn’t believe!). And then I had around eight packages of Size 1 diapers and a few packages of Size 2 diapers.

From my experience, babies tend to go through about eight to ten diapers a day for the first two to four weeks. By the time they are around a month old, they usually using somewhere around six to eight diapers per day.

As I said earlier, all babies are different. But for your first baby, here’s what I’d suggest you stockpile:

::3-4 week’s worth of newborn diapers (around 200 to 250 newborn diapers),

::4-6 week’s worth of Size 1 diapers (around 250 to 300 Size 1 diapers)
::A few packages of Size 2 diapers

If you get overly ambitious, you can also stock up on a few packages of Size 3 diapers, as well!

Now, those numbers aren’t an exact science, but if you have that many diapers on hand, I guarantee you that you’ll at least be in pretty-good shape for the first few months when it comes to diapers.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all brands of diapers work for all babies. I’m very partial to Pampers just because my children seem to break out in rashes with other brands. I’ve also found that Pampers seem to be the least prone to leaking. However, that’s only my opinion; I know some moms who think Huggies or Luvs or Parent’s Choice diapers are the best diapers ever created. Since you’re a first-time mom, you might consider stocking up on different brands to help you determine what works best for you and Baby.

When looking for good deals, I’d suggest a good target price would be less than $5 per package. Now granted, if you live in an area with only a Walmart, this is going to be harder to accomplish (and it might be good to take advantage of a deal from Diapers.com). But if you live where there are drugstores like CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid, it’s pretty easy to often find diapers for less than $5 per package — especially with all the Huggies coupons out right now!
For more suggestions on what to buy for Baby, see my Having a Baby Without Breaking the Bank series.

Have you stockpiled diapers before? If so, how many do you think Margaret should have on hand? What’s your diaper stock-up price?

Have a question you’d like me to answer for our Q&A Tuesdays feature? Email it to me and I’ll be glad to consider it for a future post.

Comments

1. denise says

personally i wouldn’t stock up a lot on diapers ahead of time. I would do what one person suggested, putting the money away each week while pregnant instead of actually buying the diapers.
    My son was a Pampers boy and my daughter was a Huggies girl. So, what works for one kid may not work for the other. Huggies run smaller than Pampers so it saved me money with DS to buy Pampers for him since he was a BIG baby and with the “smaller size” i could get more diapers per pack. DD, on the other hand, had HUGE issues with Pampers leaking especially at night but Huggies were great!
    http://www.babycheapskate.com each week tells the diaper bargains that are out there and other baby items. That is the website I used when the kids were younger to save myself time and money.

2. Sara says

Keep in mind that you will probably receive diapers as gifts. I didn’t have to buy diapers for about 2 months because people were so gracious with giving me diapers. I used that time to test out different brands (since I was given different brands). It would also be a good time to put money toward a diaper fund, or stockpile for the next few months.

I’m just skimming the comments, so someone may have already written this, but KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS! Most stores will let you exchange one pack of diapers for another of the same brand in a different size if they all cost the same. You can even exchange one brand for another or just return them for the cash IF you have the receipts to show that you bought them at that store. A diaper fund is a great idea, but it may not allow you to get the most for your money if the coupons and sales aren’t as good at a later date. Saving the receipt will allow you to shop the deals now and still be able to get your money back if you need later.

4. Carrie says

I stockpiled a little , but not a huge amount. My son was born at 8 pounds, so he could jump right into size 1 diapers. I didn’t stock up on any Newborn size, since if you have a bigger baby (like me) they won’t fit or be worth it. I did receive a couple of packs as a gift when my son was born and did use one pack, but only really to try them out. I still have the second pack. My son was in size 1 for a couple months, then into size 2 for a while. He has been in size 3 for a long time!

It does depend on your baby’s body, too. If they have chubby legs or stomachs they might move up sizes faster, since the sizes do overlap weights for that reason.

I also used many different brands – Huggies (every style), Pampers (every style), Luvs, Parent’s Choice, Whisper Soft, Nature’s Own, Fisher Price, and a couple others. My son didn’t have a reaction to any of the diapers, but we found that the Luvs and Fisher Price leaked. (Although my friend only uses Luvs!)
    I would recommend maybe stocking my on one or two of each brand in size 1 and 2 and maybe a package of NB (your doctor can even give you a guess of how big your baby will be – to see if NB will even be needed).
    That way you can see what you like and go from there.

5. Shelah says

We never needed Newborn diapers. They seems to stay in Size 2′s and 3′s (and maybe 4′s) the longest. Doesn’t help much for stockpiling the early days.

I don’t think you should buy any newborn diapers Margaret! Usually a few people will give you packages of them and it’s been my experience that my babies grow out of them in a week. I always buy gals size 2 diapers at showers because my babies were in newborn diapers for 1 week, size one diapers for 1-2 months, and size 2 diapers for 6 or more months.

Also, something that should definitely be mentioned is that Walmart will exchange any package of unopened diapers for the next size up. So, when I got overwhelmed with size 1 diapers at my first child’s shower, I took them in, without a receipt, and Walmart will give you the same brand of diaper in a larger size. So, this is a great option for moms who have over-prepared or been given too many of one size.

7. Laura says

Congratulations to all the new moms out there! Just reading about doing 200-250 diaper changes in the first few weeks is an exhausting thought! Even if Dad or Grandma helps out, taking care of Baby is a big job! It is so wise that you are stockpiling while you can. Many blessings!

The hospital will send you home with some diapers as well. They usually keep your “baby cart” of supplies full so as you deplete them, they’ll refill. So use those diapers and whatever you have left in your cart at the end of your stay, take home. I don’t think they can give those to other babies. All that stuff is yours actually.

I make big babies. My husband and I are fairly average (I’m 5’7″ and he’s 5’10″) but our first daughter was 8 lbs 13 oz. I’m due to have another baby really any day now (and don’t have any stockpiled diapers yet!). I’m only going to buy one jumbo pack of New born diapers and the rest size 1.

It’s also not like babies switch from size N one day & size 1 the next you can sort of stretch things if there aren’t a ton of extras. I know I never ended up with any extra diapers.

Another moneysaver is to consider cloth diapers. The average baby goes through $800+ in disposables PER YEAR. With cloth, for the very nicest, you would spend around $600 for your baby from birth to potty training, and you can use them on ALL your children. Great info at http://www.clothdiaperblog.com. I use Rumparooz one size pocket diapers.

10. Mandy says

Size N are more expensive than size 1, so as long as your baby is not tiny use #1 instead. Also huggies little snugglers have a poop catcher in the back of the diaper for the up the back accidents. That is why i stock pile huggies and use them when we are out. my sons were too big for size N when they were born and used #1 for only a month, and #2 for 2 months. Also different brands and sizes are a little different. Little snugglers huggies are smaller than snug and dry huggies and pampers swaddlers. And you might want to use different types of diapers on you baby as they get bigger and eat different. After they start more solid poops, the poop catcher thing is less important.

Thanks for all the advice. Baby #1 is due in less than 5 weeks, and I have been stockpiling, but I have always wondered what the best way to do this is.
    I have been buying a few size 2-3 diapers lately because I can get the best deals with my coupons on those. I think I will continue doing that because I probably already have enough Newborn and size 1:)

12. Julie Orr says

We have 2 sons (a 3 year old and a 1 year old). We were blessed by our church family with wonderful baby showers that stocked us up on the smaller sized diapers – newborn to Size 2. Our entire laundry room was stacked with diapers. By about the 3 month mark for both boys, we were ready to be in Size 3 diapers. If you are going to stock up on a specific size, I would highly recommend Size 3. My first son, never outgrew Size 3. He wore them from the time he was about 3 months until he was potty trained at 2 1/2 yo. My second son just turned 1 the first part of April and he is still in Size 3 as well. I know that all children are different, but from talking with a bunch of other parents, they seem to all have the same story – Size 3 seems to be worn for the longest amount of time. When my second son moved into Size 3, we still had TONS of smaller sized diapers. We filled 3 huge trash bags full and took them all to Walmart. We didn’t have receipts from any of them and they were all different brands. Walmart took them all and gave us a gift card for like $187. Talk about a pretty sweet deal! As far as brands that we like… we really liked Pampers swaddlers for the small sizes – newborn, and Size 1. Starting at size 2 and 3, we really like Huggies. If you live near a CVS – take advantage of their deals. You can get really cheap diapers there. Just this past week, I bought 6 jumbo packs and paid $20. Can’t beat that! Hope everything goes well for you! Enjoy being a mommy – it’s the most wonderful thing in the world!!!

The stores will let you exchange unopened packages of diapers so if you have 2 packs that he has outgrown just exchange them for bigger ones, no problem!

14. Kathy S says

I found that we never used that many newborns. My babies (girls and boy, both “early” and late”) didn’t even stay in size 1′s too long. 1/2 are a great size and then my kids got stuck at 3 and 4… so when in doubt, and there’s a good sale, but a 3 or 4. If you save receipts, you might be able to exchange the smaller sizes for larger ones if you have too many. So keep the receipts for diapers in a special place –maybe even in an envelope in the baby’s dresser drawer. Just make sure of the store’s policy. One year I got a great deal at Babies R Us on Black Friday — $10 for a BOX — we bought 15 boxes because we had 2 in diapers and one on the way. I went to exchange them in February, and found out their policy is 90 days AND with a receipt. I went on day 91! :( At least I had the bigger size (I could have had more diapers if I was allowed to exchange for a smaller) and my daughter just wore a little bit bigger until she grew out of them!

• Kathy S says

Also remember that if there are “great deals” now… there will be great deals LATER! Sometimes I think I have money sitting on the shelf that was a SUPER deal, but was in excess, so not necessarily the best (unless it was free!).

15. Emily says

I didn’t read all 100+ replies, so someone may have already mentioned this….the Babies R Us brand of diapers, Especially for Baby, runs a full size smaller than all other brands we’ve used.

16. kandle says

Just a thought for everyone who was talking about “overstock”. I’ve heard, and seen people selling un-opened packages at their garage sales. Potentially, if you snagged a really good deal…. you could make money on your overstock to pay for the diapers you really like/want/need.

17. Brandi says

I loved Pampers Swaddlers for my first born, so I stocked up when 2nd baby was on the way….turns out she was allergic to Pampers! For that reason I will not stockpile again. There are also good deals on diapers.

18. Robyn says

We cloth diaper, which is a great money-saver and makes it easy to be prepared in advance! We bought 24 diapers before our first was born, and for the first couple of weeks (with the umbilical cord and all) we used disposables that we were given by the hospital and on two diaper cakes. I’m figuring out the best way to supplement our cloth diaper stash at a low cost to have enough for baby #2 soon, but I may actually be making some simple ones for around home for $6-8 apiece (vs. the $17-18 for the nicer, manufactured ones — which are absolutely worth the price, but we anticipate child #1 will potty train within the next 6 months so we wouldn’t get our money’s worth buying more).

19. Liz G says

Dont’ forgt to check Craigslist for diapers! I got 12 jumbos of size 1 Walgreens diapers for $30-ish from a lady who did not need them, (for very sad reasons). Many times, moms in my area will sell their extra diapers on craigslist. I often see a lot for sale in the size 1 and 2 range. It’s also something to keep in mind if your baby outgrows a size and you are stuck with several packs. You won’t get full retail for them, because obviously people want a deal! But you’d get some of your money back.

Another option is to try to exchange any extra diapers at the store for the size you need. Sometimes the stores are pretty friendly about that.

20. Naomi says

Just wanted to throw in this idea, when my baby shower was being planned by my sister, I suggested to do a raffle, by bringing in a pack of diapers you get a ticket to enter to win a prize (making it of course optional) The prize being a set of tickets to a baseball game. Doesn’t necessarily have to be tickets to a game, can also do a gift card from a store or what not. We were lucky enough to have a sister-in-law who gets free tickets from time to time from her job. Also being in a desperate time then, a lot of our guest participated and we got a bunch of diapers ranging from newborn to 2 months old. I would say we got about 20 packs or so that lasted for the first few months. And plus being that my daughter was born with a congenital heart disease she was in the hospital for the first couple of months, so we sure did have to make a few trips to the store which wasn’t a problem. Just thought I shared this with new moms. It was a fun game to include for the baby shower. But again we made it optional and did mention it in the invitation.

21. Sara says

We just had baby #6 in Feb. He weighed in at 8 # 14oz, but he was long and skinny! I only used Huggies Snugglers because he seemed to go quite a bit. The back of the diaper has a nice flap to prevent leakage. I compared reg. Huggies to their Snugglers and they really worked for me.
    This is what I used so far:
    3 small pkgs of newborns,
    3 small pkgs. of size 1 and 1 large box
    6 small pkgs. of size 2 and 2 large boxes
    1 large box of size 3 because I ran out of size 2
    I have on hand 10 small pkgs size 3 and 4 large boxes so far of size 3 because they seem to be in these forever! PLUS you can exchange the unopened pkgs. The leftovers I made Diaper Cakes for my friends.
    Congradulations!

22. Lyn says

My mom was kind enough to buy one package of diapers and wipes each month of my pregnancy per child with each pregnancey. Very nice when I had twins! I also signed up for coupons at every available opportunity.

Also, don’t forget about yourself. Be sure to stock up on feminine products for all stages. Will you nurse? You may want nursing pads (be sure to keep the receipt on these, just in case). Washable nursing pads are more economical, but sometimes you just want to be able to ditch them, so some disposable are nice, too.

Congrats and best wishes!

23. Sarah says

I am partial to Huggies, although preferred Pampers Swaddlers when my son was in the newborn size. They’re just so soft! I find that less than 10 cents per diaper is a really good price.

I’m one of those few who had a baby born into size 1. My daughter was 12lbs at birth. Wore size 1 for 2 weeks, then wore size 2 for a while. She is now in size 3, wears size 4 at night (she pees a lot and still leaks through size 4 Pampers if we don’t change her during the night). My son was 10lbs at birth and only wore newborns for about a week (we only used what the hospital gave us) and size 1 for 3 weeks. He was in size 2 for almost a year. Then he almost skipped over size 3.
    We buy what’s on sale, and we stockpile during those sales too. We use store brand during the daytime and Huggies/Pampers at night.
    I got the following from a Costco Household Almanac:
    Size 1/2 Average usage: 921 diapers
    Size 3 Average usage: 1271 diapers
    size 4 Average usage: 1401 diapers
    size 5 Average usage: 716 diapers
    I think it’s a good starting point when wanting to stockpile. I know I birth giant babies, so I adjust accordingly.
    I hope this helps =)

25. ksenia says

I suggest cloth diapers, but of disposables, target brand is best when the baby is a big bigger (Pampers Swaddlers are best for newborns). Babies tend to stay in size 3 and 4 the longest. The sizing on diaper packages are overestimates. Ex: it’ll say 22-30 lbs, but if your child is 28 lbs you should go ahead and move to the next size up or you’ll have lots of leaks.

26. Laura Martin says

I stockpiled mostly on size 3 diapers… all 5 of my babies were in them FOREVER!!!!! :) In fact.. we never really had the need to move on to size 4′s. I had larger babies.. didn’t wear any newborn.. size ones for about 1 month, size 2 for only about 1-2 months.. and then size 3 FOREVER!! :)

27. Emily says

Buying size 1 diapers rather than newborn size is the smart way to go. Most baby will be in size 1 quickly. Newborn size and size 1 overlap.

28. Angie says

One word of advice if you will stockpile: There seems to be very little difference between size 1 and size 2 – I think only about 4-5 lbs difference at the higher end of the weight range for most brands. My daughter went almost directly from size 1 to 3, only wearing size 2 for maybe a couple of weeks. Costco brand diapers (and perhaps some other brands) combine size 1 and 2 calling their smallest size 1-2.

I never bothered buying newborn size diapers. My daughter was 9 lbs at birth and I doubt she would have fit in them past her first week of life, and while my son was smaller (7 lbs. 9 ozs), I would rather use diapers that are slightly too big than risk diapers that are too small.

If this is your first baby and you are having a shower, you may also get diapers as gifts (probably in sizes newborn or 1) so keep that in mind. You may only need to find one large box of size 1 diapers at a really killer deal (like the suggested $5 a box ceiling) – that’s all I would buy in size 1. I wouldn’t go crazy unless the diapers are free.

Like Laura Martin’s kids, my daughter was also in size 3 forever. My son hasn’t gotten to size 3 yet. He’s almost 10 weeks old. As of last Friday he weighted 10 lbs. 12 ozs. I’m still using size 1. I’m hoping I can use the remaining 30 size 1 diapers I have. I don’t plan on buying any more size 1 diapers. I have 1 large box of size 2 (like over 200), and 1 smaller box. Based on my experience with my daughter I hope I don’t have too many size 2 diapers.

I will only buy diapers right now if they are a super deal (like nearly free or under $5 for the largest box) and I will buy size 3. I have also requested sample diapers in size 3, which seems to be the smallest size samples offered anyway.

29. Stacy C says

I highly suggest this method instead of stockpiling diapers.
    Get an envelope, label it diaper fund. Each week put in a contribution of $5 – $10. By the time the baby is born you will have a nice amount of $ for diapers for your child.

When you know what kind of diaper works for your baby. Then collect coupons and go on a stockpile frenzy.

When my son was born, I had a package of Pampers and Huggies and sure enough the Huggies caused a major rash. We are a Pampers family due to sensitive skin. Thankfully we did not waste that much $.

Wipes too… senitive skin, gentle we still use at 2 1/2 years old.

Maybe this has already been said, but some stores will let you return or exchange diapers for a different size. I believe this is true with Walmart.

Kitty

31. Erin says

My kids were average size 6 and 7 lbs but they grew and gained weight super fast so they both only wore newborn size diapers for 2 weeks. They were also nursed which meant really runny, frequent bm’s so you will have to consider that as well. We definitely went through at least 10 diapers/day for a few months. With my daughter I like Pampers better but with my son I only liked Huggies Supreme (they were the only ones I could get snug enough and absorbant enough up front).

32. Amanda says

I have never had a problem exchanging diapers (when the size is wrong) at a store, regardless of where I bought them from. Because all the same brand diapers are generally the same price, even months later without a receipts, stores have always swapped them out for me.

I’m due with baby #5 tomorrow, so you know I’ve already been stocking up! My babies have all been over 8 lbs, so I didn’t buy any newborns (the hospital usually sends you home with some which tides us over till the size ones).

I have 7 packs of size 1, 12 packs of size 2, and 7 packs of size 3. (I’m still using size 4 for my current youngest.)

Another suggestion–keep your receipts because many places will let you even-exchange a package for a different size (don’t return it, ask to exchange it since the price is the same for different sizes).

34. Richelle says

I have 4 kiddos, 3 of which are in diapers. I don’t mean to brag, but I think I have diaper savings down to a pretty good science. I am an unashamed Huggies Momma. I have found, (based upon my store availability) that Rite Aid is the best place for diaper savings. They often have Huggies on sale for $8.99, and they offer one or 2 single check rebates of $1 off, per month. In addition, sometimes (like this month) they sweeten the pot with promotional offers. The one they have going right now is when you buy 5 packs of diapers, they give you a coupon for 1 free pack. In addition, they have wipes on sale BOGO at least once a month, usually. If that weren’t enough, Rite Aid offers store coupons all the time, including $5/$25 purchase coupons. Rite Aid also offers long-term savings with their new Wellness+ Rewards. Once you buy $1000 worth of products, the rest of your purchases for the whole year are 20% off the top. Here is the breakdown for a trip I plan to take this Friday. I will buy: 4 boxes of wipes @ 2/$5. I will buy 5 bags of size five diapers (27 ct) @ $8.99/ea. (getting 1 bag free). I will use a $5/25 purchase coupon that I received for signing up for Wellness+. I will also use (2) huggies wipes $2/2 coupons from coupons.com. Then I will use (5)- $3/1 coupons (all printables). Then after all of that, I will enter my receipt info into the Single Check Rebate offer page from Rite Aid’s website, to save another dollar. SOOO, I will get 6 bags of diapers
    (162 diapers), plus 4 boxes of wipes– for $28.95 plus tax, and I will have accumulated $71.45 toward my $1000 Wellness Plus goal for the year. (remember it’s based on the VALUE of what you purchased– not what you actually SPENT) Not too shabby! I have heard women say that they don’t buy Huggies or Pampers because they can only afford the store brand. Couponing, I pay 14-18 cents per diaper– on a regular basis. Show me a store brand that cheap, and I’ll buy it!

35. Carrie says

I just wanted to agree with those who mentioned not to buy to many newborn diapers. When my son was born, he didn’t fit newborn size at all and went straight to a 1. Luckily I had only 1 bag of newborn size in my stockpile that I gave to an expecting friend.

Instead of stockpiling disposable diapers… I recommend finding a good, one size reusable diapering system. The new Flip system runs between $200-300 and will get you through potty learning… and chances are, it will still be good enough to use with a bit of replenishment for the next baby. Even if you get killer deals on disposables, say $10/wk (assuming $5/pk, two packs a week), you are still looking at $520 in the first 12 months. Since most disposable diaper babies aren’t trained until age 3, that’s a lot of wasted cash! With a simple diaper system (like Flip, which all my friends are adoring, I don’t have one in diapers now), it’s easy enough to toss a bucket of diapers and covers in the wash every 2-3 days (and not even noticeably more work!). This system also has disposable insert options for traveling, etc… although they aren’t cheap.

37. Sarah says

We chose to go the cloth diaper route, primarily to save money. I expected it to be a huge hassle, and have come to love it! We are now cloth diapering our second daughter and have saved several thousand dollars!! We do cloth wipes too – bought 3 ,12 packs of cheap, white washrags at Target for $2 each and they’re still going strong on our second child – which as far as I can figure has saved us about $300-500 per child. (That would be buying wipes on sale, with coupons). If you buy diapers from a place like Babyworks.com, who offers a 30 day money back guarantee used or unused, no questions asked, you are completely risk free and only are out the shipping if you do not live locally and can take things back in person. You can also buy diapers on Craigslist, and this is also a good way to resell the ones you have after your kids are done with them!!! There are also tons of free patterns online for making your own if you sew!

We occasionally use disposables for vacations, and also bought a bunch to take with us to Ethiopia when we traveled to pick up our newly adopted daughter. I found Craigslist was a GREAT place to pick up good deals on packages that maybe had one or two diapers missing. I’ve also picked up disposables at garage sales (full pack of Huggies for $0.25!!!) and thrift stores!

I’m an advocate for diaper stockpiling, personally. I also agree with the advice to be careful with purchasing too many Newborn diapers since my kiddo was in N’s for only a week and then he was in size 1′s. He was nearly 10 pounds when he was born, so it wasn’t hard to move into that next size.

The only thing about stockpiling and returning is the receipt expiration date that stores, especially Target has. I’d get a pack of N’s and only stockpile 1′s and 2′s in advance. By the time you leave the hospital you’ll know whether to continue buying N’s or not.

When I see diaper sales, I don’t worry about the size on the shelf though. If it’s a good deal and they’re out of ‘s (my son’s size) I buy 5′s, 4′s or whatever and go back the next week and exchange for the size I actually need so I can “lock in” that sale price with my purchase. Walgreens and Target especially have been great with that.

For N’s…I highly recommend Pampers Swaddlers. They’re super gentle and seem to be best for newborn skin in my own experience with my son. But every kid is different. For older babies, I found that the generic Walgreen’s diapers were utterly fantastic and cheap when they’re B1G1 free. My son lived in those for probably eight straight months and they were fantastic! The only thing is the tabs are not as stretchy and they run a little small so I’d purchase the size up from where your baby is if they seem on the brink of a new size. Walgreen’s diapers are HANDS DOWN my favorite generic diaper and when I was stockpiling them I was getting them for less than $3 per pack at one point which saved us a ton of money.

One more thing: if you have a super-pee’r at night like my son was when he was under 2 years old, there are two things you can do.

1. Use a diaper one size larger than they actually wear and put more of the fabric of the diaper up the tummy (if a boy) so it collects more at night. This way you don’t have wet tummies in the morning. My size 5 kiddo wears a 6 at night right now.

2. My husband came up with this idea: take a small diaper (size N or 1) and fold it backward and insert it into the front of the regular diaper as an extra absorbent pad. Before you go to bed, check on your kiddo and just slide it out the top front and then the rest of the diaper (the regular one) soaks up the rest of the potty the rest of the night. It extends the life of the regular diaper and instead of changing two size 3′s or 4′s at night, you’re only “wasting” an N or 1 which are cheaper per diaper anyway. We didn’t want to waste an extra 3 or 4 changing our kiddo in the middle of the night so he’d stay dry all night, so this was a great way to save some money and keep him dry (and asleep longer in the morning). All credit to my husband…it was his idea and it worked great!!